Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 06:33 PM

450 posts, read 1,906,248 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone -- I know I've posted here in the past regarding housing, and while I'm still open to ideas on that, I thought the best thing to do is describe myself and see if I'd fit in well in Providence.

I'm early 30s, single, straight male and looking for an area where I'm not an oddity -- in other words, something that isn't all traditional families. Diversity and open-mindedness is very important to me. Safe neighborhoods -- in the sense that gunfights aren't a daily occurance -- are important, but it does not have to be a zero crime area.

I'm a sports fanatic, especially hockey, and traditionally meet a lot of people through hockey. I have allergies -- seasonal allergies can be bad, especially to grass and weeds -- but my worst is cigarette smoke. I simply have to avoid any social situations that include cigarette smoke (tobacco allergy to be exact) or risk weeks of infections and doctors visits.

I'm laid-back in the sense that I am open minded and believe people can do whatever they want with their lives, yet I'm a fast-paced type of person in many ways. Not rat-race fast-paced, but just someone who likes to be busy and active 100% of the time. I also enjoy people -- I enjoy conversation, but I also am someone who appreciates my own space.

I'm not a red tape person, and I appreciate trust. When a 50 year old is asked for an ID to buy a beer, I don't view it as vigilance against underage drinking -- I view it as a lack of trust. I also like to do things without a lot of red tape -- my philosophy is I trust others, and hope that is returned.

For housing, new housing is a strong preference (yes, I know this could be the issue). Condos, townhomes, or single family homes on small lots are a strong preference.

I've been to Providence for a couple of days and loved it... is it a place I'd love living? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2007, 11:43 PM

36 posts, read 202,162 times
Default loving providence

I am similar to you in many ways. I live in East Providence and love the city. Crime isn't much of a problem compared to other cities I have researched. There are touch neighborhoods, but as a whole, there are tons of options without much crime.

I also love hockey and thank the Bruins every day for Joe Thornton. I am originally from San Jose, CA and love the sharks. However, I have loved the Sox and Pats for a long long time.

Providence can be fast but not too fast. The East Side is great. A lot going on but not hectic. Newport is great. Bristol is great. Naragansett is fun. There is much much more as well.

Housing could be a problem as newer construction is a bit more hard to find when compared to other areas. Where I am from (California), it is all sprawling suburbs where the houses are all the same with the only difference being the shade of tan that they are. Here, you can find some new construction in Seekonk, Mass, Portsmouth, Middletown, and others. I am not as familiar with the western part of the state when discussing housing. Good luck

PM me with any other questions

Matt

Old 08-01-2007, 04:52 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,026,356 times
Providence does not have alot of new construction- but I believe there are some new condo's that where rebuilt from the shells of an old factory -not far from Providence Place.

I live in eastern Connecticut and used to go to Providence very often. I agree with what beautyprevails has said above. There is likely to be a small amount of new homes being built west of I 295- not large sub divisions, but new homes in perhaps groups of 1-5. Check also south of the city.

Old 08-01-2007, 07:40 AM

Default condos

there are new condos across 95, west of prov place. the foundry, the 903 (whatever that means) were both old mills and now are condos. i was not in the market for condos, but I believe a studio in either place starts in the high 100's and goes far up from there. waterplace condos are right on waterplace park and start in the mid 400's for a studio Good luck

M

Old 08-01-2007, 08:02 AM

3,478 posts, read 7,257,297 times
As already mentioned, new homes or townhomes in Providence itself will not be aorund. But new condos are, though the prices are up there (the 903 is actually reasonably priced, relatively speaking). There are also newly renovated warehouses-turned-lofts in case you want to go that route. I believe Pearl Street Lofts has units available (including rentals), but again they are pricey. Plus that area of Providence (the west side, off of Broad St) is a little sketchy ("transitional" I believe is the new fad term).

But if you don't mind compromising on the "new" requirement for housing, then Providence and surrounding areas have great options, even single family homes in great areas (like East Providence, where I grew up). Also, based on your short bio sketch above, I think you would like Providence, especially now with the major "Renaissance" that has occurred in the city. It is truly becoming more of a destination for folks, and hopefully the business infrastructure will come to cause things to explode.

EDIT: I almost forgot about this, but the waterfront property in East Providence (across from the East Side of Providence - two different areas ) is being redeveloped into a "live/play/work" - type feel. They finished building new condos in that area last year and are supposed to start work on lofts, apartments, and townhomes, along with shops and restaurants. That would be a great area to head to if you want to live there. You would still be in prime location to do downtown for fun.

Old 08-01-2007, 05:12 PM

Matt, the Sharks sure have the talent to do something big next year -- I'm listening to Drew Remenda on the radio as I type (he's back in San Jose for next year on the TV broadcasts). I'm currently in SoCal, where I go to Ducks and Kings games, so I see a lot of the Sharks.

The new housing requirement is more of an allergy thing. Moving into a house/condo that had pets (especially cats) would mean allergy nightmares for a long time -- dander can remain allergenic for a year or more. So, I'd need to know there were no pets there from the previous owner. I don't know how RI is, but when I asked in CA several times, I got told there is actually a restriction against giving out that information. As a result, anything but new housing was simply not an option -- it was medically not possible for me to buy a second-hand unit without them giving out information they told me they could not give out! Not sure if the same chicken and egg situation exists there or not, but that's why new housing is the only option, out here anyway.

Roughly where in East Providence is the waterfront redevelopment? Looking on Google Earth, it's hard to judge.. but that sounds very interesting!

Why is there so little development -- is it just slow growth, or are there other factors at work?

I've come across the 903 -- great location and prices that are extremely reasonable, at least by the standards of what I'm used to the last while!

Old 08-01-2007, 05:29 PM

More thoughts as I surf the Internet....

Those Pearl Street Lofts actually look very nice -- $200 per square foot is about half of what I'm used to seeing, so the price isn't out of line.

Just how.. "transitional".... is the neighborhood? From what I've seen, to be honest, I can't imagine any neighborhood being all that bad in Providence that it would be unsafe to live in... but perhaps I've just missed those areas??

I should also add... renovated factories seem to be popular for lofts in New England generally -- that would work just as well as new housing, as the main thing is just to avoid a place with cats/cigarette smoke previously. Are there any others anyone knows of besides the Pearl Street Lofts?

Old 08-03-2007, 11:29 PM

688 posts, read 2,135,332 times
I'm wondering why you're so set on living in Providence? Rhode Island is pretty small and you can find some new developments in nice small towns and cities away from Providence. If you want to go to Providence for clubbing, culture or work you can commute there. It's not really that far from anywhere in the state. While traffic certainly is an issue I believe you'll be happier outside the city and deal with the commute.

Old 08-04-2007, 07:48 AM

Default e. prov

yeah, i am excited drew is back. marty was ok i guess, but i like drew. we have the talent in san jose, but haven't done much in free agency. i don't know, that is kind of disappointing. anyway...

i have researched the e. prov redevelopment as I just bought a home off of vet. memorial. i am pumped about the waterfront redevelopment. just north of the g. wash bridge is some. just south at bold point and kettle point will be townhomes, lofts, restaurants, shops, etc if i'm not mistaken. i guess it is a five year plan sort of thing but when its done, home prices should see a solid return so now would be a good time to get into e. prov. i love living here. it takes literally two minutes from my new home to the east side but i didn't have to pay an arm and a leg to live on the east side. i recommend e. prov.

m

Old 08-07-2007, 04:53 PM

German Spy -- I'm not opposed to suburbs of Providence by any means, but the main reasoning is just the layout of the land. I'm looking for something more "urban" or dense -- living with large forests in my backyard has been an allergy issue in the past. Still, the Centre of New England development in Coventry looks appealing to me -- I'd definitely be interested in something like that as well. I just don't want a 1/2 acre lot again!

The waterfront development in East Providence sounds great! If you have any links, I'd love to learn more. I've done some research -- mainly what I've found so far is general overviews. The location would be ideal, and from my research, East Providence sounds like a safe, interesting alternative that is semi-urban.

And a little Sharks talk (I'll figure out some way to tie this to RI)... with something like seven RFAs next year, and considering the recent proliferation of offer sheets, I think they need to keep room to keep the team together. Considering the Ducks' odd strategy in this off-season, I think San Jose enters the season as the favorites in the Pacific Division.

Thanks again everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island