Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 05:14 PM

2 posts, read 10,478 times

Advertisements

Hullo all!
I'm debating whether to move to Providence RI or to Raleigh NC...So far I like providence better but I'm just afraid it's too northern. What's the weather like? Is it dark most of the year? I'm moving from florida so I'm a bit used to hot a sunny, and though I have no sadness about leaving the "hot" behind, I'm a bit worried about living without year round sun. ??

peas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2008, 08:03 PM

4,265 posts, read 11,425,505 times
Hi peas - I'm a native Rhode Islander, born and raised. My husband and I just left RI a month ago and relocated to Cary, NC, just outside of Raleigh. First let me tell you that RI is a beautiful state. Has lots to offer in the way of history, architecture, beaches etc. The problem is that that the economy is lousy, the cost of living is high, taxes unbearable and jobs are not plentiful. It was a tough decison for my husband and I to leave but we did so for a better quaility of life. As far as living in RI, it really depends on your age, if you're married/single, what type of work you do. It can be a great place for singles...plenty to do, with close proximity to Boston and NY. The Raleigh Durham area is great so far. It is also beautiful, green with easy access to the ocean or mountains. The cost of living is lower, the economy is strong. I would recommend researching each area thoroughly, check out rents and try to explore the job market in both places.

Old 05-10-2008, 04:34 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,024,921 times
Your decision should be based on what you are comfortable with. The entire country is suffering a housing downturn- which is leading to a slower economy everywhere.

New England's housing sector began to decline last year- NC has been immune to this for the following reasons; Lots of former northerners moving in to prop up the economy.It seems that NC economy will not go unaffected- housing there has had several years of rapid appreciation, all trends end. Additionally the state has a rather conservative culture- that many including me would find stifling.

So while Rhode Island has had a crappy economy for awhile, North Carolina's economy may have peaked, see 'Housing Slump Deepens in Charlotte' Charlotte Observer | 05/08/2008 | Housing slump deepens in Charlotte area (http://www.charlotte.com/109/story/614751.html - broken link)

One other thing to be wary about- housing costs in the 'Triangle section' of NC Raleigh/Durham/Cary are now only slightly less then Providence- and actually the same as greater Hartford CT- the difference is that incomes are higher here- meaning that in NC housing prices in many areas have risen too fast, and have outstripped income growth.

That being said you may find Providence to have far more urban character and local traditions like food and culture then NC- which seems to have many cookie cutter subdivisions, strip mall sprawl and chain stores and restaurants then many people like.
I know former people from Connecticut who moved to NC and dislike it intensely- among many complaints no decent pizza or Italian food- and the Chinese food is a joke.

Additionally the summers are for more comfortable in Providence; last year Providence had 20 90 degree days- compared to 93 for Raleigh/Durham- friends have said it was an inferno. Winters are comparatively mild in Providence, with snowfall light most years, with long pleasant summers and autumns.

Taxes are higher in Rhode Island- however NC has hidden costs- like taxing groceries.

Last edited by skytrekker; 05-10-2008 at 04:43 AM..

Old 05-10-2008, 07:13 AM

2 posts, read 10,478 times
Wow, thank you both, very helpful information. I'm looking into renting and it seems, so far, that the prices in and around raleigh and providence are comparative. I'm just not sure about getting a job. I don't have any specific field that I work in, just kinda vagabonding on varies jobs at the moment. Is that still doable in Providence?

Old 05-11-2008, 10:24 PM

2,412 posts, read 7,178,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Now-where? View Post
Wow, thank you both, very helpful information. I'm looking into renting and it seems, so far, that the prices in and around raleigh and providence are comparative. I'm just not sure about getting a job. I don't have any specific field that I work in, just kinda vagabonding on varies jobs at the moment. Is that still doable in Providence?
It is doable in Providence but you'll probably have more opportunities and have a higher standard of living in NC. RI (and much of New England) can be great for those with high incomes; the quality of life can be very high. But it can be a tough place for lower income folks.

Old 05-13-2008, 05:30 PM

4 posts, read 14,163 times
I recently worked in RI and commuted from NC. I loved it. The people were great. The cost of living was comperable to NC and the weather offers a great change of seasons. I lost my job there and desperately trying to return to Providence.

Old 05-13-2008, 05:57 PM

163 posts, read 525,871 times
I am from Providence and there are things about Providence or NC that may be an advantage or disadvantage, depending on an individuals likes/dislikes. I moved to Charlotte area about three years ago and like (at least this part of NC) far better in many regards. The weather is better (except for about 9 weeks in the summer). Houses are a better bargain. Even though houses may be coming down in cost in RI they were way over priced to begin with. Comparable priced RI homes to NC homes are old and often in need of major fix-up (I know I had bought one several years ago). The economy is a lot better here. The only problem is that in many of NC metro areas the population is growing so fast that jobs are not keeping pace. Providence is a little more urban but the city is so tiny that it may only equal 20 or so square miles of "urbanity". Where Providence and RI excel is thier proximity to such behemoths as Boston and NYC, great advantages. Other than those things, I really think it depends on what the iundividual preferences are. NC for us and many others we know has exceeded our expectations. It is very progressive and not at all stagnant. But it is also true that you pay for growth in Raleigh and Charlotte with increase commute times and ever-changing landscape.

Old 05-16-2008, 10:23 PM

10 posts, read 29,870 times
Hi Peas,

Providence vs. NC. WOW!! If you are looking for quality of life, NC is the way to go.

North Carolina: Winter is short December to February, Spring arrives early in March, Summer is hot and steamy with warm evenings, Fall comes late with warm day temps and cool nights. Yes, NC is full of strips malls and chain restaurants and master planned communities, but what's wrong with that??? In NE, the general population does not support growth of any kind. It takes years and many dollars to get anything done in NE. They are not business friendly. In Charlotte, headquarters for Bank of America and Wachovia, they are always one-upping each other as far as community involvement.

Now compare:

Providence: Winter starts October 15th with cold, damp days and chilling evenings, Spring starts about April 15th and continues through Memorial Day with unstable weather - temps could be balmy and dry or frigid and freezing with snow flakes or damp and cold to your core. Fall is beautiful with color everywhere and warm, dry temps. Falls is best time of year in New England. Unfortunately, does not last long. Our best ad most infamous attraction is Waterfire which does not have full support this year. For part of June and all of July we have no sponsorship to support a Waterfire. Waterfire is the best event in providence and not having support is a definite result of the declining economy here.

Good luck with your decision.

J

Old 05-17-2008, 07:34 AM

2,040 posts, read 3,998,298 times
Winter starts October 15th??? That's news to me.

Spring starts April 15th???? Again, news to me.

No disrespect, but joan's post is highly innaccurate as far as Providence's weather is concerned.

For a more accurate analysis I recommend looking at some of Skytrekker's posts.

Old 05-17-2008, 07:26 PM

774 posts, read 2,382,633 times
My advice is go spend some time in Rhode Island (not in summer) and ask every person you can find who has lived there over 5 years what they think of Rhode Island and the weather.

Then make up you own mind.

Mikey
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island