Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2011, 03:10 AM

6 posts, read 14,530 times

Advertisements

We are running away from CO to RI, but we're having an issue. We are thinking about Harrisville, but it seems like a small town, I love small towns, but I don't want it like that "creepy" small town. Are people there generally happy? I can't find any pictures of it. That's probably a silly question.

The big things are:

On the cheaper side, we aren't rich by any means, but we CERTAINLY don't want to be living in a dangerous area, it has to be safe.

Catholic community, we are very Catholic, it would be nice to relate like that to neighbors.

Kind neighbors, you generally know their name and it's nice to live there.

Colorado is a large state, I hate it here, I can't conceive a small town, whats it like living in one? I used to live in Ireland and it was very secluded, but we had two VERY kind neighbors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2011, 07:08 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,549,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingo1059 View Post
We are running away from CO to RI, but we're having an issue. We are thinking about Harrisville, but it seems like a small town, I love small towns, but I don't want it like that "creepy" small town. Are people there generally happy? I can't find any pictures of it. That's probably a silly question.

The big things are:

On the cheaper side, we aren't rich by any means, but we CERTAINLY don't want to be living in a dangerous area, it has to be safe.

Catholic community, we are very Catholic, it would be nice to relate like that to neighbors.

Kind neighbors, you generally know their name and it's nice to live there.

Colorado is a large state, I hate it here, I can't conceive a small town, whats it like living in one? I used to live in Ireland and it was very secluded, but we had two VERY kind neighbors.
What other towns have you considered? What do you mean by "creepy", and why Harrisville? So much is going to depend on your housing budget (you didn't say). "Cheaper" is relative to your cost of living currently. Are you buying a house or renting? Work? do you have employment in RI? Schools for children?

Your question is quite broad. Nice small towns that fit your description in northern RI are:
Cumberland, Lincoln, Smithfield, North Smithfield, Chepachet.

Old 07-30-2011, 10:43 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,595,058 times
Rhode Island is the most heavily Catholic state in the country.
you might like Cranston. It's big but can have a small town feel.

Old 07-30-2011, 05:44 PM

72 posts, read 53,675 times
Warwick is the best place to live. Its not too expensive and for a mid sized city its very safe. Its better than Cranston because Warwick has all the shops/stores and Western Cranston is a very expensive place to live and Eastern Cranston is more affordable and it is safe but more and more immigrants are there now than there used to be.

Old 07-30-2011, 07:00 PM

1,549 posts, read 3,056,465 times
[quote=bingo1059;20242122]We are running away from CO to RI, but we're having an issue. We are thinking about Harrisville, but it seems like a small town, I love small towns, but I don't want it like that "creepy" small town. Are people there generally happy? I can't find any pictures of it. That's probably a silly question.

Harrisville is a village within a town. The main Town is Burrilville. There are other villages in Burrilville; Mapleville, Pascoag, Nasonville, Wallum Lake, Oakland, Glendale, etc. All of them are affordable especially if they are not on a lake or newly built. The area still has farms, horse ranches, cows, etc. Chepachet is also a village within the town of Glocester and also affordable and rural. The Town of Glocester has a better school system then Burrilville especially at the middle and high school range.

Old 08-04-2011, 05:45 PM

6 posts, read 14,530 times
You have all been SO helpful!!!! Thank you so much, I have about a year until the move and now I have a few cities to really look into. I really appreciate it!

Old 08-05-2011, 07:52 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,114,585 times
If you are looking for small-town feel, then you definitely do not want Cranston or Warwick. Good grief, Warwick is the 2nd largest city in the state and Cranston is just an area between Providence and Warwick - city. Maybe one could call Pawtuxet Village a small-town feel, but I wouldn't. When I moved to RI in 1972, I expected to be moving to small-town - and compared to a suburb of Newark, NJ, it almost was. But by the time I moved out of RI in the 90s, there was nothing small-town in those 3 cities, IMO.

Chepachet and Burrillville are really nice places - and have that small-town feel to them. I loved Pascoag - spent quite a bit of time there with friends as well as camping at the boyscout camp not far away. I also think you'd find that small town feel in Coventry or Exeter, Foster or Glocester or most anywhere in South County except Westerly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island