Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 11:06 AM

10 posts, read 25,747 times

Advertisements

My biggest gripe with living in Rhode Island is the number of rude, impatient and downright ANGRY people you see on a day to day basis. Yes, there are such people in every state and yes this does not apply to all Rhode Islanders but there is definitely something in the culture/mindset/upbringing around here that makes it more prevalent.

You walk around, quietly just observe people and you get the sense that RI'ers can barely tolerate each other and any stranger is considered an **shole until proven different and what miserable way to go through life THAT is for all concerned! Most people look like they are wound WAAY too tight and about ready to snap or go ballistic at any moment. This place must have the highest blood pressure stats in the nation!

I try to have a good attitude and give this place the benefit of the doubt, but then I go for a walk up my street and see a car getting honked at and getting the finger because they are trying to turn at an intersection. I walk a little further and see a man and woman having a conversation outside their cars on the shoulder of the road with the door wide open with cars and busses having to maneuver over the center line to get around them while they have this
arrogant look on their faces to all the world like" what are YOU gonna do about it?"
You accidentally make eye contact with someone around here and nine times out of ten you get a look or response back like "what are YOU lookin' at?"

Maybe it's just me, but I travel often and have lived in many other places and have never witnessed this degree of rude/angry people concentrated in one place. Also, a cursory look around this forum shows I am not alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2011, 02:38 PM

605 posts, read 1,092,794 times
Quote:
This place must have the highest blood pressure stats in the nation!
Someone must have correct stats on this...
come out come out where ever you are

Old 10-15-2011, 05:28 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,732,927 times
we had to move to east side Providence 2 yrs ago for hubby to go back to school....OMG! rude, impatient, obnoxious is not even close to terms for most of the people in Providence RI!...not only do they not believe in using turn signals (directional) on their cars to make a turn they go up one way streets an more! geeezzz we were glad to move out....I called driving down to south RI driving the gauntlet!...

Old 10-15-2011, 05:29 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,395,538 times
only one explanation, only 1. they moved there from here.

Old 10-16-2011, 08:50 AM

2,040 posts, read 3,997,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhySoRhude View Post
My biggest gripe with living in Rhode Island is the number of rude, impatient and downright ANGRY people you see on a day to day basis. Yes, there are such people in every state and yes this does not apply to all Rhode Islanders but there is definitely something in the culture/mindset/upbringing around here that makes it more prevalent.

You walk around, quietly just observe people and you get the sense that RI'ers can barely tolerate each other and any stranger is considered an **shole until proven different and what miserable way to go through life THAT is for all concerned! Most people look like they are wound WAAY too tight and about ready to snap or go ballistic at any moment. This place must have the highest blood pressure stats in the nation!

I try to have a good attitude and give this place the benefit of the doubt, but then I go for a walk up my street and see a car getting honked at and getting the finger because they are trying to turn at an intersection. I walk a little further and see a man and woman having a conversation outside their cars on the shoulder of the road with the door wide open with cars and busses having to maneuver over the center line to get around them while they have this
arrogant look on their faces to all the world like" what are YOU gonna do about it?"
You accidentally make eye contact with someone around here and nine times out of ten you get a look or response back like "what are YOU lookin' at?"

Maybe it's just me, but I travel often and have lived in many other places and have never witnessed this degree of rude/angry people concentrated in one place. Also, a cursory look around this forum shows I am not alone.
I noticed something about your post. Every example you gave had to do with cars and driving! That's because when it comes to driving, Rhode Islanders are idiots. (At least in the Providence area.) It's one of my few gripes about the State, but hey, nowhere's perfect.

Overall, I find the people here quite polite, and that it's a very community oriented and sleepy state compared to the Tampa Bay area in FL. Down there the crime is way higher, the housing bubble was tougher, it's hot almost all year round - and people are really on edge. And you want to complain about illegal immigration? Providence has nothing on Tampa!

I have also noticed on this messageboard that people either seem to love or hate Rhody. What's up with that?

I'm still waiting for one poster to say "Rhode Island's ok, nothing special, but nothing bad."

I don't think that's genuinely going to happen at this point haha.

Old 10-16-2011, 09:10 AM

9,283 posts, read 14,894,337 times
What neighborhood do you live in WhySoRhude?

Old 10-16-2011, 10:32 AM

10 posts, read 25,747 times
Providence, near P.C. but have witnessed this all over the state.

Old 10-16-2011, 11:31 AM

14,020 posts, read 15,001,786 times
Quote:
Providence, near P.C. but have witnessed this all over the state.
could it have to do with the college students in your area

Old 10-16-2011, 12:38 PM

30,254 posts, read 23,725,162 times
Quote:

I will call your rudeness and raise you an arrogance, obnoxious, loud and I will also throw in a, "not just while driving" card, as well...in Miami.

I'm sure it's bad in RI, and it doesn't matter if it "happens everywhere" the point is, in some places it is just so damn overwhelming it's unbearable.

So, I'm trying to save you....do NOT move to South Florida from there. You will only go from horrid to nightmare.

Old 10-16-2011, 12:57 PM

583 posts, read 1,324,325 times
Isn't this a repeat post? This is just some -pubterd with a gripe....i know, two wrongs don't make a right, but....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island