Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 06:41 PM

583 posts, read 1,325,796 times

Advertisements

It would be my pleasure. On the south coast, Narragansett is really nice, and right in town. Then there's Scarborough, big state beach, party scene, lots of people come down from the cities. Misquamicut State Beach, at the CT border, which probably is most like the Jersey Shore as I think there is an amusement park, some clubs around, attracts a lot of vacationers. Town of Charlestown has some nice beaches, more family-oriented, residential. The area around Point Judith/Gallilee also has a small public beach, good for kids, restaurants and stuff, which is also where you catch the ferry to BI.

Please don't let me disuade you from all the beaches around Newport. 1st beach (aka Easton's) in Newport often has seaweed issues, but also has 2 for 1 lobster rolls, a carousel, and other games for the kids. Actually you could even say it has a small board walk, and it is adjacent to Cliff Walk. 2nd Beach (aka Sachuest) in Middletown, < 10 minutes away by car, is one of the state's most beautiful beaches, big wide beach, nice sand, great views, waves. In between these two beaches, you'll find some surf shops, hotels, sports bars, rentals, and restaurants, Flo's Clam Shack for one.

Last edited by Saltatrix; 02-20-2013 at 07:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2013, 05:20 PM

24 posts, read 47,040 times
Did all of Rhode Island's south coast get hit really hard by Hurricane Sandy? I was looking at the website for Misquamicut State Beach & several of the hotels listed look like they were leveled. Would it be best to stay away from area for the 2013 Beach season?

Old 02-22-2013, 06:54 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,566,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeusdg1 View Post
We're two young couples, each with a 2 1/2 year old, looking to take a vacation to Newport and rent a house for a week (or less) in May before Memorial Day. I have no idea what the better areas are for rental houses. I don't necessarily want to be in the busiest part of town, but would like to be close enough to walk to it. Also, would like to be within walking distance of the beach.

Are there any neighborhoods that fit this description?

Yes, any of the quaint lovely towns on Cape Cod.

Old 02-22-2013, 08:28 AM

9,316 posts, read 14,932,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Yankee Pride View Post
Did all of Rhode Island's south coast get hit really hard by Hurricane Sandy? I was looking at the website for Misquamicut State Beach & several of the hotels listed look like they were leveled. Would it be best to stay away from area for the 2013 Beach season?
The ocean and the beaches remain. As I mentioned before, if you don't book soon, you'll probably find no places to stay near the beach in RI. If you are in RI, you have access to any number of beaches.

Old 02-22-2013, 08:41 AM

583 posts, read 1,325,796 times
The Newport area is pretty much untouched, except for a few spots on Cliff Walk that are currently being repaired. While the coast in south county was hit harder, the beaches will be open; I assume any hotels that weren't swept away will be up and running as best as poss. In late May, you really can't count on every day being a beach day anyway, but it sure is nice then before everyone else from ny.nj. ct. and ma arrive. I see there are vac rentals on CL;personally I would plan on making 10-30 minute drives for things to do, when not at the beach. The traffic is nothing like the nyc area, even though ri is the second most densely pop state after NJ. Tripadvisor.com really seems to be the better forum to ask travel-related questions.

Last edited by Saltatrix; 02-22-2013 at 08:54 AM..

Old 02-22-2013, 08:53 AM

9,316 posts, read 14,932,402 times
Great points, but it's actually the second poster NYyankeepride who is coming in summer we're answering. The first post is over a year old.

Old 02-22-2013, 09:57 AM

4,676 posts, read 10,003,960 times
The City of Newport by law doesn't allow less than monthly summer rentals. I'm not saying that some property owners don't do it, I know they do. However, you won't find them advertised.

Old 02-23-2013, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
The ocean and the beaches remain. As I mentioned before, if you don't book soon, you'll probably find no places to stay near the beach in RI. If you are in RI, you have access to any number of beaches.
That's very good advice which I do appreciate. The problem is we still don't know the exact week we will be traveling to Rhode Island. My wife's family is planning a family party but they still aren't sure of the exact date. They have 3 separate Saturdays in mind so unfortunatley we kind of have to sit & wait to see when exactly we will be in Rhode Island.

Old 04-13-2013, 10:26 AM

I forgot to report back but we ended up booking a place in the Misquamicut Beach area for the end of the July. I just wanted to send a special thank you to everyone who responded. The responses to my questions in this thread proved to be truly invaluable. Thanks again, we're very excited for our trip.

Brian
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island