Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2012, 11:04 PM

37 posts, read 90,365 times

Advertisements

In as many details, I need to know what Rhode Island is like, especially in the Kingston and Providence areas. Kingston is where my college (URI) might be in the fall of this next year. I might consider living in Providence (considering all the trendy things I hear about it--but I'm a "nature and sea lover"). Here are my questions. If you can't answer them all, that's okay:
  1. What can I expect in Rhode Island? (I lived almost everywhere in the U.S. but New England areas--I visited ME, MA, NY, and PA, but not RI and barely CT).
  2. What are the trendy and cool places? (I'm in my mid-twenties, but rarely every drink anymore, maybe wine once in a while--I love coffee shops, art, and music).
  3. What kind of food can I expect? (I'm also a fan of fantastic coffee and tea).
  4. What kind of culture too?
  5. Importantly, cost of living and expenses? Where's the cheaper housing? (I also prefer safe areas with wood floors).
  6. How bad are the winters? How should I prepare?
  7. Economy? Good job market?
  8. People nice? Intelligent? Arrogant? Unsafe? Interesting? Anything?
  9. Is it boring? (I'm a quiet and relaxing person, but I still enjoy excitement once in a while: biking, traveling, coffee, music, and socializing).
  10. Traffic? (I'm moving from LA kind of Traffic).
  11. Grocery? (Big fan of Trader Joe's).
  12. Essentially, nature? (I love parks and bike paths).
  13. Crime? Violence? Drugs? Etc.? >>> (I don't like those things).
  14. Whats the best place for me to live? (Mid-twenties coffee addict here).
  15. Should I reconsider Rhode Island in general? (I come from Chicago, Minneapolis, Portland, LA areas where there's tons to do with scenery and green. I enjoy a quiet lifestyle too. I like good weather, forests, fields, and the sea--most of all).
Thanks.
- D
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2012, 05:28 AM

9,283 posts, read 14,890,077 times
URI in Kingston is in a beautiful rural area. Living in Providence in an area you'd like- like the East Side of the city- would be a long commute everyday. If you're a serious student, I wouldn't recommend doing that.

You ask many questions which a little research on the internet and previous threads in this forum will answer. URI's website alone on off campus living will answer many of your questions.

http://www.visitrhodeisland.com/

Old 05-24-2012, 06:23 AM

605 posts, read 1,092,663 times
If I we're you, I would do some serious investigation about this State, and what is going on in it.

Old 05-24-2012, 08:51 AM

9,283 posts, read 14,890,077 times
State politics doesn't affect students- don't be ridiculous. That's your pat answer for every question.

Old 05-24-2012, 02:35 PM

605 posts, read 1,092,663 times
Quote:
Should I reconsider Rhode Island in general?
The questions this particular student asked, could influence others into making a hasty decision, these type of questions, in my opinion, should be investigated by anyone thinking of locating to R.I., even if just for school.
I would think you would want anyone to investigate a new destination.

Old 05-26-2012, 03:05 PM

583 posts, read 1,324,158 times
There's tons to see and do in RI. The winters could be worse; it's not the Great Plains, Upper Midwest, or like the interior of New England in terms of wind chill and snow, usually. Although we can get hurricanes and consistently get 'Noreasters' which can even be somewhat exciting; serious storms, heaps of snow, days off. You might like living in Newport, too. Granted RI isn't So Ca, the people and the music especially isn't that hip, although they probably think so. And NYC is never far away.

Old 05-31-2012, 02:22 AM

41 posts, read 142,281 times
I am currently in my mid-twenties. I don't live in Rhode Island anymore, but I visit often. I grew up in South Kingstown; that's the town that includes the village of Kingston where URI is. Here goes....

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgd717 View Post
What can I expect in Rhode Island? (I lived almost everywhere in the U.S. but New England areas--I visited ME, MA, NY, and PA, but not RI and barely CT).
Hard to tell what you mean by the question, but: you'll encounter a down-to-earth, rooted group of people. People will care about quality of life, they'll be tolerant, sometimes a tad provincial.
Quote:
What are the trendy and cool places? (I'm in my mid-twenties, but rarely every drink anymore, maybe wine once in a while--I love coffee shops, art, and music).
Providence, for sure. There are a few good coffee shops near Kingston, but for art and music, you'll want Providence.
Quote:
What kind of food can I expect? (I'm also a fan of fantastic coffee and tea).
You'll get coffee and tea, and also *amazing* Italian food and seafood. Weaknesses are probably Asian and Mexican food.
Quote:
What kind of culture too?
See first question.... Providence has a good arts scene. But if you really want the opera and the symphony, you'll need to head for Boston. People are also very much into sports in RI! Red Sox, Patriots, Celtics, Bruins.
Quote:
Importantly, cost of living and expenses? Where's the cheaper housing? (I also prefer safe areas with wood floors).
Depends on what you're used to. It's much more expensive than upstate NY, Pittsburgh, Detroit. It's more expensive than Texas. It's cheaper than CT or MA, and much cheaper than California. Housing stock in RI is considerably older than other parts of the country. You won't find many 2000+ ft "mcmansions" in RI, although there are some near Kingston for sure. (But none in Providence!)
Quote:
How bad are the winters? How should I prepare?
Again, depends on what you're used to, but also what part of RI you'll end up in. Kingston has milder winters than Providence, and Providence has milder winters than inland areas. Winters are worse than DC, Philadelphia, but better than Upstate NY, Chicago, Minnesota. Expect temps in the 20's and 30's from December through February, though snow can happen as early as October and as late as April. Expect lots of freaking out about snowstorms, but most storms don't end up as bad as the hype. But you will get used to shoveling driveway snow reasonably often, and scraping ice off your car all the time. If you have a car: you'll want and ice scraper and shovel, for sure. Otherwise, make sure to bring some warm clothing. Temperatures do get into the teens and below at least once per winter.
Quote:
Good job market?
I left RI in 2004. But from what I hear: no.
Quote:
People nice? Intelligent? Arrogant? Unsafe? Interesting? Anything?
On average: more intelligent than the average American, but less so than the average New Englander. Not arrogant or unsafe. Definitely interesting.
Quote:
Is it boring? (I'm a quiet and relaxing person, but I still enjoy excitement once in a while: biking, traveling, coffee, music, and socializing).
I would say Kingston is boring if you're in your mid-twenties. Music and socializing will be better in Providence. Biking is probably better in Kingston but also in the East Bay (Bristol, Barrington, etc.). Although I would say that most Rhode Islanders like all of your "exciting" activities.
Quote:
Traffic? (I'm moving from LA kind of Traffic).
NOT EVEN CLOSE. I live in SoCal now (San Diego) and nothing in RI even remotely compares to LA traffic. The worst would be beach traffic but LA traffic is orders of magnitude worse! If you want bad traffic, head to Boston, CT, NYC, or NJ, but I would say those are *still* better than LA!!!
Quote:
Grocery? (Big fan of Trader Joe's).
Trader Joe's didn't exist in RI when I left in 2004, but from what I understand, there's one in Cranston now. Main grocery stores in RI are Stop and Shop, Shaw's, and local markets. They're comparable to Vons or Ralph's if you're familiar with LA.
Quote:
Essentially, nature? (I love parks and bike paths).
YES, outside of Providence. (in Providence, the river walk is nice, but not nature.) The beaches and coastline are amazing, and there are good bike paths, especially in Barrington/Warren/Bristol and near Kingston.
Quote:
Crime? Violence? Drugs? Etc.? >>> (I don't like those things).
Crime and violence are rare near Kingston. There are rougher neighborhoods in Providence, Pawtucket, and Central Falls. Drugs often go with crime but there are a decent amount of people who partake in marijuana that aren't otherwise criminal.
Quote:
Whats the best place for me to live? (Mid-twenties coffee addict here).
Honestly I would suggest Providence. Maybe Newport.
Quote:
Should I reconsider Rhode Island in general? (I come from Chicago, Minneapolis, Portland, LA areas where there's tons to do with scenery and green. I enjoy a quiet lifestyle too. I like good weather, forests, fields, and the sea--most of all).
Nah, I would not rule RI out. LA is definitely the most different from Rhode Island. Weather will be less extreme than Chicago and Minneapolis, you'll have
TONS of trees (especially compared to LA, but different types than Portland). And you'll *definitely* have the ocean. During the summer, the Rhode Island beaches have warmer water than LA does! You will have some serious humidity in the summer, though.

Old 05-31-2012, 02:24 AM

41 posts, read 142,281 times
Oh yeah - people in RI will say commuting from Providence to URI is a crazy-long commute, and they might think you're crazy if you do it. This is true by RI standards. In CA it would be considered a piece of cake. There are a decent amount of people who commute from South County to Providence and even Boston....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island