Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2012, 07:22 PM

37 posts, read 90,467 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'll be moving to Rhode Island soon. I know I've asked a question about RI a couple months ago, but I didn't get too many response. Just wondering, what are the best and worst places to live and experience in Rhode Island? I'll be going to the University of Rhode Island in the fall.

Here's the situation.

I want to live in a very fun (coffee shops, etc) and calm (sea, nature, nice architecture) areas--I especially love the sea. I know you also can't have everything. I don't want want my commute to URI to anything more than 40-45mins. I'm a mature young professional adult and in my mid-twenties. I rarely ever drink anymore, so I'm not into pub scenes anymore. I enjoy good ethnic food, arts, libraries, road biking trails, and nice quiet safe areas. However, since I'm in college, I'm also on a very tight budget for rent and transportation. I'm not too fond of chains (with the exception of places like Starbucks and Trader Joe's), for example, "dunkin donuts", "mcdonalds", etc.

I actually do end up being friends with people older than me, some people in their thirties, especially international students. I can get a long with an older community. I'm a religious and rational person for the most part. I know I don't have to worry about RI being too much of a "bible belt" community.

Ideally, I'd like to be by sea if anyway possible. If not the sea, at least by tons of trees. I'm a city guy and big into community, but I am also big into nature and finding my privacy. I don't like strip mall and suburban looking areas. I find those areas kind of depressing. I looked into Pawtucket, Providence, Newport, Narraggansett, and maybe south Kingston. I'm really considering Providence, but I want to be close to URI in some way, but in a nice area. So in your minds, what are the best and worst areas to live? Especially considering my situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2012, 08:52 PM

1,549 posts, read 3,059,202 times
Try the Wickford area. Everything will be within 30 minutes; URI, Providence, Newport, beaches and shopping. Trader's Joe will necessitiate a ride to the capital of strip malls in our state, Route 2 Warwick. The new Wickford train station will allow weekday direct travel to both Providence and Boston. Also, you are not far from East Greenwich with their restaurants and coffee shops.

Old 06-13-2012, 05:39 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,570,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgd717 View Post
Hello,

I'll be moving to Rhode Island soon. I know I've asked a question about RI a couple months ago, but I didn't get too many response. Just wondering, what are the best and worst places to live and experience in Rhode Island? I'll be going to the University of Rhode Island in the fall.

Here's the situation.

I want to live in a very fun (coffee shops, etc) and calm (sea, nature, nice architecture) areas--I especially love the sea. I know you also can't have everything. I don't want want my commute to URI to anything more than 40-45mins. I'm a mature young professional adult and in my mid-twenties. I rarely ever drink anymore, so I'm not into pub scenes anymore. I enjoy good ethnic food, arts, libraries, road biking trails, and nice quiet safe areas. However, since I'm in college, I'm also on a very tight budget for rent and transportation. I'm not too fond of chains (with the exception of places like Starbucks and Trader Joe's), for example, "dunkin donuts", "mcdonalds", etc.

I actually do end up being friends with people older than me, some people in their thirties, especially international students. I can get a long with an older community. I'm a religious and rational person for the most part. I know I don't have to worry about RI being too much of a "bible belt" community.

Ideally, I'd like to be by sea if anyway possible. If not the sea, at least by tons of trees. I'm a city guy and big into community, but I am also big into nature and finding my privacy. I don't like strip mall and suburban looking areas. I find those areas kind of depressing. I looked into Pawtucket, Providence, Newport, Narraggansett, and maybe south Kingston. I'm really considering Providence, but I want to be close to URI in some way, but in a nice area. So in your minds, what are the best and worst areas to live? Especially considering my situation.

Have you actually visited areas in RI ? Stay in the southern part of the state, definitely. Even though it is a small state, the traffic, price of gas, etc. will be daunting. Check into Westerly, Coventry, etc. Rents are high in RI. Review some of the prior threads on this subject and do more homework.

Old 06-13-2012, 05:59 AM

9,323 posts, read 14,937,409 times
What is your budget? This may dictate where you live much more than your desires.

Old 06-13-2012, 10:06 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,606,264 times
dgd as you prob. already know, URI has campus in Prov as well as Kingston.
based on your post, i can tell you're going to like it here.
Visit Rhode Island :: What to Do :: Beaches

Old 06-14-2012, 01:01 PM

583 posts, read 1,325,968 times
We call it the 'ocean' here. Providence is nice but if you like the ocean and nature and more relaxing areas, definitely stay south: Kingston area, Narragansett, or even Newport. The urban areas here are small, but quite densley populated and urban; I recently moved back south and at this point have no desire to get on 95 and go to Providence ever again, although I'm sure I will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island