Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 07:39 PM

3 posts, read 12,021 times

Advertisements

I live in Bakersfield, CA and am looking into moving to Rhode Island. I have a lot of family in RI and on the east coast. I just recently visited and absolutely loved it there. It just felt right to be there and am planning to move there within the next year or two. I'm 23 and am a single mother. Don't know the first thing about moving to a different state let alone acrossed the country. What do I need to know? Average rent here for a two bedroom is $800-$1200 for a nice area. I would like to live in Cranston. What is it truely like to live there? I know my family that lives there loves it and want me out there. But this is a huge move for me and need to know the facts....please help!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2008, 08:03 PM

2,412 posts, read 7,176,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jblackrose1985 View Post
I live in Bakersfield, CA and am looking into moving to Rhode Island. I have a lot of family in RI and on the east coast. IWhat do I need to know? Average rent here for a two bedroom is $800-$1200 for a nice area. I would like to live in Cranston. What is it truely like to live there?....please help!!!!
Don't know about rents, but have you talked to your family in Cranston? Look at providence.craigslist.org or projo.com classifieds?

Old 04-29-2008, 05:35 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,021,048 times
Living here compared to inland California- or most anywhere in California is likely to bring a mild form of cultural shock. New England, and the Providence area are very different then Bakersfield. There are four seasons here- and there is a winter- though its moderate by east coast standards. Summers can be warm to hot, with some humidity at times.

The house form and culture- meaning urban settlement and population distribution is very different, since Providence dates from 1636. Also the architecture as you saw is very different.

People in Rhode Island have been called reserved, aloof, rude- and more- but this is true of the New England 6 state region. Culinary habits are much different as well- hard to find good Mexican- but lots of great Italian, Seafood....

Rents as you speak of will be similar in the Providence area, as compared to Bakersfield.

Old 04-29-2008, 05:38 AM

9,290 posts, read 14,899,623 times
Default Rents in Cranston for a 2 bed

will be comparable to what you are paying in Bakersfield.
I think you'll find Cranston a green paradise compared to Bakersfield which as I remember it (from passing through a few times) was a hotter than Hades dusty desert hellhole with absolutely no redeeming features..... we had a flat tire there and 8 hrs in Bakersfield was a lifetime....
but maybe it's improved??????

Old 04-29-2008, 05:46 AM

Default Hello Skytrekker

The Providence area now has 5-6 very good Mexican restaurants (like much of the rest of the US we have had a Latino invasion) in addition to virtually any other kind of cuisine you can think of.... there's a great Bolivian place too.
Sadly, the old Yankee seafood tradition is much less in evidence....

Old 04-29-2008, 07:08 AM

2,040 posts, read 3,997,408 times
Holly, I'd like to know what these good Mexican restaurants are. I'm from FL and one of the few complaints I have about my new home is the utter lack of good Mexican food!

Old 04-29-2008, 07:27 AM

Your wish is my command..... check here. I've recently tried the one named Mexico and was happy with it.

tasteri.com | Providence, RI

Old 04-29-2008, 07:43 AM

Default Oh P.s....

also Azteca in East Providence (a little bland- sort of TexMex) and one in Central Falls more authentic- can't think of the name

Old 04-29-2008, 08:43 AM

2,040 posts, read 3,997,408 times
Thanks for the link!

Old 04-29-2008, 10:10 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,021,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
The Providence area now has 5-6 very good Mexican restaurants (like much of the rest of the US we have had a Latino invasion) in addition to virtually any other kind of cuisine you can think of.... there's a great Bolivian place too.
Sadly, the old Yankee seafood tradition is much less in evidence....
Thanks Holly

we have some good ones here over in Hartford- good- but just not with the same 'stuff' as California-but damn good!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island