Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 02:27 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,622,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jblackrose1985 View Post
I live in Bakersfield, CA and am looking into moving to Rhode Island. I have a lot of family in RI and on the east coast. I just recently visited and absolutely loved it there. It just felt right to be there and am planning to move there within the next year or two. I'm 23 and am a single mother. Don't know the first thing about moving to a different state let alone acrossed the country. What do I need to know? Average rent here for a two bedroom is $800-$1200 for a nice area. I would like to live in Cranston. What is it truely like to live there? I know my family that lives there loves it and want me out there. But this is a huge move for me and need to know the facts....please help!!!!
I am familiar with both places, and I tell you Cranston would be better for you and your child.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2012, 11:04 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,413,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robjc123 View Post
hey I hope you didn't do it.. RI disappoints many many young people. you're gonna work like a dog for nothing and never get ahead.. at least that's how it is for many.

go to AZ or FL where people want to move and live.. nobody in their right mind chooses RI as a destination place to live...
Well it looks like many people disagree with you. Young people priced out of other areas and retirees are moving to RI. There's this thing called economics. If one is going to relo to a lower cost area, might as well go for quality as opposed to something that is warm, sunny and new today (and will be another Bakersfield in 30 years).

Old 04-04-2012, 12:21 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,853,584 times
retirees moving to RI...really? I've gone alot of research on retirement places (and love RI) but there are absolutely no tax benefits to living there, in fact taxes are very high for the average fixed income retiree.

From Kiplinger Tax by State...

NOT TAX-FRIENDLY
Rhode Island is particularly tough on retirees.
Not only does it tax Social Security benefits, similar to the way the federal government taxes up to 85% of benefits, it taxes virtually all other sources of retirement income. Although it had one of the highest tax rates in the nation, Rhode Island has dropped its top income-tax rate from 9.9% to 5.99%. The state treats capital-gains income as ordinary income for tax purposes. The Tax Foundation says Rhode Island's median real estate taxes are the fifth highest in the U.S. All the top five property tax hells are concentrated in the Northeast.

Old 04-08-2012, 04:10 PM

490 posts, read 1,098,667 times
I have a question for the OP: Did you ever end up relocating to Cranston from Bakersfield? I'm not sure if any of the recent posters noticed, but this thread was first started four years ago! LOL.

Old 09-22-2012, 11:53 PM

2 posts, read 2,189 times
Default get back with your family and get out of calli

I did the same thing came out young and now i miss the east coast more and more stay close to your family

Old 09-24-2012, 03:51 PM

95 posts, read 384,868 times
Your wants and needs change over time. You would like RI because it is more family orientated. Not as closed minded as some other areas of the country, but not very liberal either like in NYC or San Francisco. You do have cliques here, but since you are more interested in family that should not be a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island