Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 02:08 PM

2,040 posts, read 4,000,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
You've totally lost me.
Don't worry, we're all used to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2014, 02:15 PM

2,903 posts, read 3,460,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
Raimondo may well be the type of Democrat Rhode Islanders are looking for in 2014. Socially progressive, fiscally not stupid. As they say, in a democracy, you get the leadership you deserve. We'll see.
You know, something that turns me off about liberals is it's so easy to buy their vote. Just be pro-choice, pro-equality, toss a few kind words about this or that liberal cause, and their vote is yours. But what about the real issues, like income equality, or true transparency in government financial dealings? Raimondo is a venture capitalist -- her interests do not extend to transparency or income equality. I know how venture capitalism works; I know it very well. And I know how venture capitalists think, how they plot, how they scheme. I understand their motivations.

True, she's not "fiscally stupid." On the contrary, she's brilliant (look at her education!). Problem is, she's in the tank with Wall Street vultures -- she's a Wall Street shark; well familiar, well acclimated is she in those waters. Indeed, it is the very oxygen that she breathes. That, Sir, is the problem. Her natural interests are at direct odds with the interests of the people. She has, thus far, duped the citizens, but she's just another Mitt Romney with stilettos. And a lot less personal wealth.

Old 03-11-2014, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieBoy View Post
well acclimated is she in those waters.
Yes, Master Yoda.

Old 03-11-2014, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnrboy View Post
Yes, Master Yoda.
At least you missed the mixed metaphors that littered my post.

I can see that neither of our employers got their pound of flesh out of either one of us today.

Sure wish the MBTA had a bar car, because I cut out early and am hurtling home at, oh, 7 MPH at current. Should be in PVD by 9pm at this rate.

Old 03-11-2014, 02:37 PM

A bar car sounds good right about now...

Getting back on track though Alfie, my fellow Democrat, I noticed your response to Taveras' job plan has been muted at this point, if not nonexistent.

What say ye Wise One?

Old 03-11-2014, 03:19 PM

4,426 posts, read 3,208,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Tell me how does saying that the CITY of Providence has a high illegal population (in a thread about the CITY's low median income) conflict with the reason given for the STATE of NC's higher illegal population than the STATE of RI?
).
I think the apparent contradiction is that in one case you deem the high illegal population to be evidence of a healthy economy, and in the other....quite the opposite.

Old 03-11-2014, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnrboy View Post
A bar car sounds good right about now...

Getting back on track though Alfie, my fellow Democrat, I noticed your response to Taveras' job plan has been muted at this point, if not nonexistent.

What say ye Wise One?
Well, as things are shaping up, I recall the elections in 2000 and 2006 in New York State in which the choice was voting for the vile, evil, duplicitous tool of Wall Street, Hillary Clinton, for senate, or some wackadoodle Republican; I voted for "The Rent's Too High" candidate both times. Do we have a "The Rent's Too High" party in Rhode Island?

But, still, I'll support Taveras because I'm a part of the "Democratic Wing of the Democratic Party."

As to his plan, well, ah, COUGH, err, well, I think I'll have another olive in my martini.

(This post sent to you wirelessly from Providence's world famous Alleycat.)

Old 03-11-2014, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Do we have a "The Rent's Too High" party in Rhode Island?)[/
Well, we have (had?) a Cool Moose party.

http://www.rihs.org/mssinv/Mss1058.htm

Their founder, Robert Healey, mainly ran for Lt. Gov. with a platform to eliminate that very office.

And of course, we have a Moderate Party, whose founder is ironically running in the GOP Primary for RI Governor this year against Fung. But they're just basically a poor man's Republican in some ways.

So I guess the answer is no. But in this state, maybe there should be a "Property Taxes Are Too Damn High" Party!

Old 03-11-2014, 05:11 PM

23,670 posts, read 18,773,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsonik View Post
I think the apparent contradiction is that in one case you deem the high illegal population to be evidence of a healthy economy, and in the other....quite the opposite.
No I did not. In this current thread I responded to one poster's claim that NC had a higher illegal population than RI. The only logical reason for that IMHO is that state's more vibrant economy (that provides more construction, landscaping and other jobs typically available for illegals). Unlike RI, NC does not have a reputation for being a sanctuary state or generous with handouts that might otherwise attract illegals. And oh I forgot to mention agriculture.

In the other thread that our friend Alfie decided to dig up (for whatever reason), I gave Providence's high illegal population (relative to the rest of RI) as one reason for it's low median income. Illegals typically earn less and/or work under the table so therefore have much less reported income than the rest of the population. And guess where illegals flock to in the largest numbers? Cities! So it makes total sense that Providence would have more than say Barrington or Smithfield. I'm sure that in NC, places like Charlotte have a higher proportion of illegals than the state as a whole. They must bring down Charlotte's median income in relation to some surrounding suburbs, but they would not be there without the economic opportunity available in NC. Many illegals follow the handouts, but they certainly don't go to NC for those. If they wanted that, they would go someplace like RI or MA. So NC has more illegals than RI, and Providence has more illegals than Exeter. Surprise surprise. Contradiction negative.

Comprende?

I can't believe I have to sit here and explain these things to people. I'm so done with this...

Old 03-11-2014, 05:34 PM

8,030 posts, read 4,713,032 times
Quote:
You know, something that turns me off about liberals is it's so easy to buy their vote. Just be pro-choice, pro-equality, toss a few kind words about this or that liberal cause, and their vote is yours. But what about the real issues, like income equality, or true transparency in government financial dealings? Raimondo is a venture capitalist -- her interests do not extend to transparency or income equality. I know how venture capitalism works; I know it very well. And I know how venture capitalists think, how they plot, how they scheme. I understand their motivations.

True, she's not "fiscally stupid." On the contrary, she's brilliant (look at her education!). Problem is, she's in the tank with Wall Street vultures -- she's a Wall Street shark; well familiar, well acclimated is she in those waters. Indeed, it is the very oxygen that she breathes. That, Sir, is the problem. Her natural interests are at direct odds with the interests of the people. She has, thus far, duped the citizens, but she's just another Mitt Romney with stilettos. And a lot less personal wealth.
The fact is many people are socially liberal, in favor of a woman's right to choose, LGBT equality, income equality and universal health care AND at the same time understand that fiscal responsibility is required to pay for a generous social safety net. A zest for bashing Gina Riamondo and capitalism is more entertaining than maybe enlightening. Such wild diatribes may get her more votes than she loses. It may make her very progressive social views more palatable to moderates and conservatives who see our state sinking in a sea of debt brought on by decades of fiscal irresponsibility and corruption. Just a guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island