Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 07:51 PM

3,799 posts, read 2,698,580 times

Advertisements

^ Massnative71, I would estimate the odds are 50/50 that you are evading a direct answer to the question because it wasn't in 2014 that you were last in Pawtucket.

You do seem to have a strange love/hate relationship with all things Rhode Island, else methinks you would not spend so much time on the Rhode Island forum bashing the place, and its people. So maybe you were here recently, and perhaps even in Pawtucket.

As an aside, I seem to recall that when the new PawSox ownership group announced its intention to leave McCoy, in its location west of Newport Avenue, you chimed in to voice your opposition to such a move:

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post

I think this whole thing blows. Why break one of the most successful AAA franchises (and stadiums)? They certainly will lose support.
Your return is both a blessing and a curse? You don't say...

Last edited by ormari; 03-17-2015 at 08:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2015, 08:15 PM

2,811 posts, read 2,184,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Then your experiences are fairly recent, 30 years is not a long time in the average lifespan.
I don't see how the way things were 30 years ago, or 50 years ago, or 13 years ago are relevant to someone starting a job at Pawtucket Memorial Hospital in 2015 and looking for advice on places to live in 2015.

Quote:
Pawtucket has changed so much it is very sad. East of Newport Av. and West of Newport Av. are somewhat like night and day. What used to be the Darlington area, is now divided by Newport Av. east vs. west. Take a drive down Armistic Blvd., drive the entire area of York Av. The Cottage St. area bordering So Attleboro, all the way into downtown Pawtucket, Central Ave. towards downtown Pawtucket, Walcott St., North Bend and I could go on, was the pits 30 years ago, and has only gotten worse.
If by "the pits" you mean "working class." I have friends who have lived off Central Avenue for decades and others who just moved near York and Walcott a few years ago. None of them have seen this blight that apparently is only visible from North Carolina.

Quote:
Then you've got more trash on all sides of Broadway, which were not even decent back in the 80's, crime galore. I can almost smell the fetid air over there in the summer! Even St. Theresa's Parish area off Newport Av. toward Rumford has been diversified and now unkept.
Ah - "trash" and "fetid," followed by "diversified." That's why it was so much better 50 years ago; that was before the icky brown people moved in.

Quote:
Evidently you've been there much too long; however, it's all about frame of reference from living in other areas.
I thought you just told me I haven't been here long enough. For what it's worth, I've lived on other places in other states in other parts of the country. I moved back to Pawtucket.

Quote:
No need for attempts at "marketing" the slums and getting all contentious and interrogating people. Free country and all that.
I'm not "interrogating" anybody. I'm attempting to provide information to someone who posted here looking for advice about Pawtucket because she is starting a job in Pawtucket because I live in Pawtucket. You're telling me I'm wrong from North Carolina. Maybe I'll start posting on the North Carolina boards to tell them what an awful place I think it is.

Old 03-17-2015, 08:32 PM

Back to the original question - even the area immediately around the hospital (south of Pond Street, north of Dunnell Lane) is lower-rent but OK. The projects on Prospect Street near Beverage Hill Avenue can be dicey.

Old 03-18-2015, 06:45 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,547,135 times
The original question was posted April 17, 2014. The OP is all set by now. Further discussion is not productive, you merely want to argue.

Old 03-18-2015, 07:47 AM

Quote:
The original question was posted April 17, 2014. The OP is all set by now. Further discussion is not productive, you merely want to argue.
The question, not the original one but the one posted to revive this thread recently, was with regard to places to live near the hospital in Pawtucket. Surely you remember that from just a few days ago, don't you? Allow me to refresh your memory:

Quote:
Originally Posted by H Greysen View Post
I am relocating to RI and will be working at Memorial Hospital. any recommendations for safe areas and apts. a close drive to the hospital would be appreciated.
That's when you painted a picture of the city with a poison-coated brush:
Quote:
You may get more replies if you put your topic in a new thread relative to your work location of Pawtucket Memorial Hospital. Most of us native posters on here would not recommend anywhere in Pawtucket. We also don't know if you are male or female, and what your frame of reference is based on where you are relocating from. It makes a difference. Pawtucket over the past several years has been problematic with crime and continues to go downhill.
What you wrote later in post #54 is particularly offensive and inaccurate:
Quote:
Then you've got more trash on all sides of Broadway, which were not even decent back in the 80's, crime galore. I can almost smell the fetid air over there in the summer! Even St. Theresa's Parish area off Newport Av. toward Rumford has been diversified and now unkept.

Are there parts of Pawtucket I would not want to live in? Yes. But there are parts that are just fine, even those west of Newport Ave. Oak Hill is a decent neighborhood. A refusal to admit even that strains your credibility.

Last edited by CaseyB; 03-18-2015 at 09:11 AM.. Reason: off topic

Old 03-18-2015, 09:25 AM

^I think knowing how recently a poster has been to a city they are denigrating is a relevant issue to this topic. QuilterChick, when were you in Pawtucket last?

I'll start by setting an example. I was last in Pawtucket approximately 10 days ago. I was in Oak Hill, in fact. I don't own property in Oak Hill, I am not a real estate professional, I am not a marketer nor have anything to sell. Quite simply, I am a current resident of Rhode Island who has lived elsewhere and I offer that as but one of my humble credentials.

It is my opinion that the picture of the city you have painted is a warped one.

Last edited by ormari; 03-18-2015 at 10:08 AM..

Old 03-18-2015, 12:58 PM

10,024 posts, read 15,671,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ormari View Post

It is my opinion that the picture of the city you have painted is a warped one.
I think it's going to be impossible to answer the poster who inquired about places to live until we know whether it is a male or a female. They didn't specifically say they were interested in Pawtucket, either (at least the most recent person didn't), they asked about a "short drive".

Males and females have VERY different perspectives about what is "nice" and "safe".

Old 03-18-2015, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
Males and females have VERY different perspectives about what is "nice" and "safe".
Well that may be true, depending on the particular male or female. But I think Oak Hill in Pawtucket qualifies as "nice" and "safe" from any normal gender perspective.

Last edited by ormari; 03-18-2015 at 01:36 PM..

Old 03-18-2015, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
I think it's going to be impossible to answer the poster who inquired about places to live until we know whether it is a male or a female. They didn't specifically say they were interested in Pawtucket, either (at least the most recent person didn't), they asked about a "short drive".
"Short drive" is highly subjective. From Memorial Hospital, a 10 minute drive gets you to Hope & Rochambeau in Providence, Power Road in North Providence, Bacon Street in South Attleboro, Route 152 in Seekonk, or Taunton Avenue in East Providence. The Rumford section of East Providence is nicer than the section of Pawtucket immediately over the line and is all relatively close the hospital. In every other direction, you're barely across the city or state line and the neighborhood on the other side of the line isn't materially different from the Pawtucket side.

Quote:
I'd say individuals have very different perspectives of what it "nice" and "safe," regardless of gender.

Old 03-18-2015, 02:10 PM

10,024 posts, read 15,671,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ormari View Post
Well that may be true, depending on the particular male or female. But I think Oak Hill in Pawtucket qualifies as "nice" and "safe" from any normal gender perspective.
I've never been to Oak Hill, so I can't comment. The parts of Pawtucket I have seen would not appeal to me at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island