Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2019, 01:44 PM

8,031 posts, read 4,698,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSandsYucca View Post
You're saying you expect them to stop backing out? Or, you feel you need to continue letting them back out?

According to Google: "A driver backs out of a space, into an oncoming car – Because both vehicles are moving, each driver may hold some responsibility. But, the driver in the traffic lane has the right of way. The driver who is backing out is responsible for waiting until it is safe to back out."

(That's the way I always have viewed the rule. And, I grew up around that mindset. But, I've been other places where it seems people think differently.)

Anyways, continuing on with the subject of potential rudeness in Rhode Island....
Like I said, I defer to the driver leaving a parking spot. Let them leave the parking space.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2019, 06:14 AM

1 posts, read 629 times
Default Give me Rhode Islanders every time

I moved to Rhode Island in 1978, when there were few road signs and everyone would start directions with "You know where the old Mobil station used to be?" But this is also THE ONLY PLACE where, time after time, the person I asked would end up saying, Follow me, you'll never find it. I would protest, I don't want to take you out of your way! They would just shrug and drive ahead. Amazing. I have lived in Washington state, Iowa, Chicago, Kentucky, North Carolina, upstate New York, New Mexico, and New York City; but Rhode Islanders are the best people I have found ANYWHERE. They are also forthright: I understand now the significance of Independent Man on the top of our State House, because Rhode Islanders will tell you what they think, no matter what anyone thinks about it. That's a great relief to me after the Midwest (where I found people suspicious and likely to stab you in the back), the South (where people seemed super-cordial but not sincere), the West (where people would talk your arm off but you couldn't count on them in a crisis), and Manhattan (where I found people true-hearted but out of time!). I love this place. And I don't think any other state in New England is like it.

Old 12-23-2019, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pordinka View Post
I moved to Rhode Island in 1978, when there were few road signs and everyone would start directions with "You know where the old Mobil station used to be?" But this is also THE ONLY PLACE where, time after time, the person I asked would end up saying, Follow me, you'll never find it. I would protest, I don't want to take you out of your way! They would just shrug and drive ahead. Amazing. I have lived in Washington state, Iowa, Chicago, Kentucky, North Carolina, upstate New York, New Mexico, and New York City; but Rhode Islanders are the best people I have found ANYWHERE. They are also forthright: I understand now the significance of Independent Man on the top of our State House, because Rhode Islanders will tell you what they think, no matter what anyone thinks about it. That's a great relief to me after the Midwest (where I found people suspicious and likely to stab you in the back), the South (where people seemed super-cordial but not sincere), the West (where people would talk your arm off but you couldn't count on them in a crisis), and Manhattan (where I found people true-hearted but out of time!). I love this place. And I don't think any other state in New England is like it.
Thanks! This non-native outsider - who has also lived in many other places - agrees with you 100%

Old 12-23-2019, 11:35 PM

47 posts, read 45,889 times
The short answer is yes, absolutely. Everyone tends to have a gruff or bitchy facade, and people here are also very tribal and judgmental. If you didn't grow up here and form your clique early it'll be tough making friends and connections unless you are part of the FOB immigrant or transplant hipster social scene. Things are slightly better when you get outside the central part of RI (Providence, Warwick, Johnston, Pawtucket, Central Falls, West Warwick, etc.), but there's a strange aura of suspicion that permeates most interactions with strangers in RI. Overall, people interact with each in person the same way they interact with each other on the road... that should say enough.

Old 12-27-2019, 12:53 AM

737 posts, read 1,462,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rranger View Post
I just realized that I used it ALL THE TIME as a child. AAAAAAAHHHH!!!! Senior moment! It was, apparently, so deeply ingrained in my psyche that I never even thought about it. I never use it now, and it never occurred to me that it was even a "thing." So, a thousand apologies to Bert, but not to the DB from Pawtucket.
I grew up in Milford MA and we always said "Down Sullah"! I miss some of the regional sayings and accents.

Old 12-27-2019, 03:29 AM

1,045 posts, read 759,397 times
From what I've seen on Live PD & Caught in Providence - yes, they are. The entire Northeast is full of rude people.

Old 12-31-2019, 11:40 AM

1,201 posts, read 2,670,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screenwriter70 View Post
From what I've seen on Live PD & Caught in Providence - yes, they are. The entire Northeast is full of rude people.
So you’re basing your assessment of an entire state on toothless trash who live the desperate lifestyle? Hmmm ... can’t wait for the North Carolina series!

Old 12-31-2019, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rranger View Post
So you’re basing your assessment of an entire state on toothless trash who live the desperate lifestyle? Hmmm ... can’t wait for the North Carolina series!
You're right. If we make a cultural assessment from "Caught in Providence" or any reality court tv show, it would be depressing indeed. The baseline could only be lower if it were filmed from prison where, I'm sure, local accents would pop.

Old 01-02-2020, 02:38 PM

11 posts, read 4,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pordinka View Post
That is a very interesting summary or characterization of different experiences you had.

Old 01-03-2020, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by South2RI View Post
That is a very interesting summary or characterization of different experiences you had.
Pordinka's well articulated experience is a common one, for those of us who have lived many other places before coming to Rhode Island. Take it to heart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island