Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 06:31 AM

548 posts, read 816,216 times

Advertisements

One of the advantages of RI that people have cited over the years is the convenience and cost savings of having TF Green airport nearby, vs having to deal with Logan if you live in the Boston area. I wonder how true that still is?

I know 10 or 15 years ago, I often did find good deals out of PVD -- I was living closer to Boston then and a couple of times the savings made it worth coming down here to catch a plane. Even five years ago, when I moved here, Green usually matched or beat Logan, so it was a no brainer to use the nearby airport

Airline consolidation and the relocation of Southwest's hub to Boston have really not helped RI travellers. I was prompted to post this when I started shopping around for some July travel. Sure, not a cheap time of year, but look at the cost difference to a West Coast city:

Boston, nonstop: $500 r/t

Providence, 2 stop, usually one leg a red-eye: $650 r/t

Providence, one stop: $850 r/t

With my wife and I travelling, it's definitely worth $700 to take the train to Boston!

I find that kind of fare difference is not uncommon these days. My employer has negotiated discount fares with the airlines, and there too, I now see that Boston to say Chicago or Washington is usually half the cost of PVD. Fortunately they aren't making us drive to Logan for business trips -- yet -- but it certainly doesn't help make the case to locate in RI if you're a business that generates much employee travel.

Even on access, with the Silver Line and the Ted Williams Tunnel, Logan isn't as bad to get to, though getting there during weekday morning rush would still be miserable.

Are fares to Florida still better out of RI than Boston? When I'm in the airport it seems like just about all the traffic still left at Green are families and snowbirds going up and down the coast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2015, 06:51 AM

3,778 posts, read 2,693,466 times
I haven't flown in something like 4 years, but I was flying to the NW regularly before that and I found it cheaper and faster to take the train to Boston and fly out of Logan. For flights to the NW, Alaska air had nonstops to Portland and Seattle and the fares were great. JetBlue and SW at Logan don't help.

Like you, 10 or 15 years ago I did fly out of TF Green, coming down from Somerville! I even made the drive to pick up family members from TF Green. Back then the cost savings were there.

I'm afraid I can't add to the FL question...

Old 02-24-2015, 07:37 AM

4,376 posts, read 3,191,670 times
My experience mirrors your's. I can't remember the last time I found a better fare from Grreen and it used to be fairly common.

If I'm not mistaken, you can at least get a comparable price for Florida if you're going to Orlando or Fort Lauderdale but if you're looking at the Gulf coast, Boston is cheaper.

Old 02-24-2015, 08:17 AM

5,314 posts, read 7,783,947 times
I am actually about to book a flight this morning for my friend to come stay with us for a week. Boston's advantage is they have Spirit and Alaskan (as mentioned above). We always found PVD to be cheaper for SouthWest in the past, but now Boston is lower. I book a lot of flights for people to come out, and am always comparing. If it is within $50 r/t, I normally go with PVD, simply for convenience.

Old 02-24-2015, 11:15 AM

296 posts, read 532,320 times
In my experience flights from green are often delayed or depart much later than scheduled. Check the average departure time before booking especially if you have a layover / connecting flight. Even if the airline says its a legal layover time if you're leaving from green you better not risk it. A lot of their flights leave on average an hour after scheduled time

Old 02-24-2015, 01:24 PM

1,549 posts, read 3,054,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neguy99 View Post
One of the advantages of RI that people have cited over the years is the convenience and cost savings of having TF Green airport nearby, vs having to deal with Logan if you live in the Boston area. I wonder how true that still is?

I know 10 or 15 years ago, I often did find good deals out of PVD -- I was living closer to Boston then and a couple of times the savings made it worth coming down here to catch a plane. Even five years ago, when I moved here, Green usually matched or beat Logan, so it was a no brainer to use the nearby airport

Airline consolidation and the relocation of Southwest's hub to Boston have really not helped RI travellers. I was prompted to post this when I started shopping around for some July travel. Sure, not a cheap time of year, but look at the cost difference to a West Coast city:

Boston, nonstop: $500 r/t

Providence, 2 stop, usually one leg a red-eye: $650 r/t

Providence, one stop: $850 r/t

With my wife and I travelling, it's definitely worth $700 to take the train to Boston!

I find that kind of fare difference is not uncommon these days. My employer has negotiated discount fares with the airlines, and there too, I now see that Boston to say Chicago or Washington is usually half the cost of PVD. Fortunately they aren't making us drive to Logan for business trips -- yet -- but it certainly doesn't help make the case to locate in RI if you're a business that generates much employee travel.

Even on access, with the Silver Line and the Ted Williams Tunnel, Logan isn't as bad to get to, though getting there during weekday morning rush would still be miserable.

Are fares to Florida still better out of RI than Boston? When I'm in the airport it seems like just about all the traffic still left at Green are families and snowbirds going up and down the coast.
I am curious how negotiating works? Who is your employer or if you can't answer that, how many employees? Can't they have some influence on the airline(s) for better service from PVD?

Old 02-24-2015, 02:08 PM

548 posts, read 816,216 times
As much as I'll say about employer is very large nationally, not so large in RI.

But, such deals do happen. I know Nike had some kind of long running deal with Delta about non-stop service from Portland OR to NYC. The overall market didn't quite justify it but such service mattered a lot to Nike. I'm not sure of the details. Nike and Intel both also have a deal with Delta guarranteeing them traffic in exchange for doing a non-stop from Portland to Asia.

Last edited by neguy99; 02-24-2015 at 02:20 PM..

Old 02-24-2015, 03:03 PM

23,545 posts, read 18,693,959 times
It has been that way ever since Jetlblue and Southwest really took off at Logan.

Old 02-24-2015, 03:07 PM

2,903 posts, read 3,456,695 times
^ Uh, yes, that's been noted by like every poster -- but thanks for sharing your insight.

Old 02-24-2015, 03:14 PM

23,545 posts, read 18,693,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieBoy View Post
^ Uh, yes, that's been noted by like every poster -- but thanks for sharing your insight.
Not exactly. Haven't you got anything better to do with your time than starting endless confrontations? I hear Snow St. is lovely this time of year...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
View detailed profiles of: