Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2015, 05:38 AM

3,822 posts, read 2,703,999 times

Advertisements

I was just at the Train Station in Providence, and though it is now two days since the snow stopped, the roadway into the station *City-Side* is in poor condition. For those of you who go to the station regularly, you will recognize that this seems to be par for the course. I don't know who is responsible for getting this job done, but they routinely fail to clear the roadway and walkway properly. It was the same last year and the year before, so arguments that we've simply had too much snow are moot.

This is a black eye for Providence. What kind of Welcome message does it send to visitors to our city and state? And what kind of message does it send regarding the importance of public transportation here? We should be making it easier, not more difficult, to take public transportation. Isn't that what our public policy claims to champion?

*** Public transit commuters keep cars off the roads, which is a benefit for (nearly) all Rhode Islanders.

*** Commuters who use the train to get to/from Boston are bringing cash back into the state that the state sorely needs. Can't we show these people a little respect?

Who is responsible for maintaining the station clear of ice and snow? Both Amtrak and MBTA service the station. Is it the city? The state? Amtrak? MBTA? Some combination?

To whomever is responsible: Do Your Job!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2015, 01:10 PM

2,903 posts, read 3,459,436 times
^ I was at the train station yesterday to pick up a copy of The Globe and a coffee and noticed this wall of snow, on the JWU-side of the sidewalk. It's been the same in past winters: I have never seen that sidewalk properly cleared, or even cleared at all! Whether fluffy snow, hard-packed snow, or sheeted ice, it is never removed.

It's odd, bur some out-of-state posters think the those who work in Boston but live in RI don't pay RI taxes. LOL! They need an education. These MBTA commuter rail trains are packed folks from PVD commuting to high paying jobs in Boston and the commute is arduous enough. People should not have to wade into car and taxi traffic to get to the station.

And think of visitors to the city who use Acela or NER Amtrack service? What impression does it leave?

I don't know who is "responsible" (an elusive term in RI) for the station, and a very quick Internet search didn't prove fruitful, but I'll find out -- Mary at the gift shop in the station knows everything.

Old 02-18-2015, 02:03 PM

I talked to the Mayor's office. File an online complaint. The city says it's Amtrak's responsibility, but I'm not going to deal with the insane maze that is "Julie," the automated Amtrak babbling voice system ("I'm sorry, did you say "blow renewal?" "I'm sorry, did you say "buck two?")

The more people who file a complaint, the better the odds of getting this fixed.

Old 02-18-2015, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieBoy View Post
I talked to the Mayor's office. File an online complaint. The city says it's Amtrak's responsibility, but I'm not going to deal with the insane maze that is "Julie," the automated Amtrak babbling voice system ("I'm sorry, did you say "blow renewal?" "I'm sorry, did you say "buck two?")

The more people who file a complaint, the better the odds of getting this fixed.
It's really great that you called the Mayor's office. I went ahead and filed a request at the Prov Connex.

Online maps suggest the road may not be a city right of way. Only google maps seems to give the *city-side* entrance of the station a road name: "Railroad St.". Other maps (Bing, Yahoo, Mapquest) all leave the approach nameless.

Another possible route for filing a complaint if you aren't in the mood to talk dirty to an unresponsive, frigid Julie:

Amtrak Customer Relations at 800-USA-RAIL
Amtrak Customer Relations
60 Massachusetts Ave NE
Washington, DC 20002

I'm sure there's an email address around somewhere too...

The Station needs a sign stating who is responsible for maintenance of the station, complete with contact information to keep them accountable. If there is one already, I haven't found it.

Old 02-18-2015, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ormari View Post
It's really great that you called the Mayor's office. I went ahead and filed a request at the Prov Connex.
The Mayor's office was great! The person who answered the phone (on the second ring) was really helpful. Thank God we have the esteemable, honest and hardworking Elorza as mayor. Otherwise, had the rapist convict been elected, I suspect I'd have been shaken down for a campaign contribution in return for action.

PVD is such a great city -- a model for New Urbanism --and I really want this place to shine. Let's start with clearing sidewalks for those of us who came here partly because it's just so walkable. Shovel the snow, damned it!

I must say I think the City has done a great job clearing the roads and even many sidewalks (Memorial Blvd's sidewalks leading to the mall are constantly cleared).

Quote:
The Station needs a sign stating who is responsible for maintenance of the station, complete with contact information to keep them accountable. If there is one already, I haven't found it.
On it. I'll post what I learn.

I hope posters and readers of this forum will likewise contact the City -- have to keep up the pressure.

Old 02-24-2015, 06:43 PM

I thought I should post that the snow & ice removal at the train station is vastly improved, and in fact the roadway seems better than in previous years. There's still too much snow, but they improved the situation!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
View detailed profiles of: