Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2016, 12:41 PM

123 posts, read 210,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp775 View Post
The bus still stops downtown (at Kennedy Plaza) in addition to the new terminal.
There's no parking, though. I remember cancelling my ticket after realizing my mistake when buying online. There is a garage nearby. I'm not sure what it is per day but I imagine it's more than if you were parking at the Smithfield Ave. location which is $9/day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2016, 07:46 AM

24 posts, read 85,953 times
September's - Restaurant in Cranston. I think it's a 99 or some other steakhouse now.

There used to be a nice Mexican restaurant across from the RI Mall (on the CCRI side). Can't remember the name but it was popular back in the 80's.

Not a business...California Jims. Nice little fishing pond in Wakefield. Dam broke and it's now filled with houses I think.

Old 06-17-2016, 09:08 AM

2,811 posts, read 2,181,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason401 View Post
There used to be a nice Mexican restaurant across from the RI Mall (on the CCRI side). Can't remember the name but it was popular back in the 80's.
Casa Lupita. Best Sunday brunch anywhere ever.

Old 06-17-2016, 05:17 PM

10 posts, read 24,694 times
I think it was 'Jolly Jon's', dfour - and before or after that it was 'Burger Chef'. Wasn't there also a 'Jolly Charlie' somewhere? I can remember Salty Brine doing a commercial for them - with him pronouncing Charlie as rhyming with Jolly.

Jolly Jon's was at the corner of Main and Old Forge Rd in East Greenwich, where 'Greenwich Village' is now.

Does anybody remember Hathaway's Record Store just up Main St at Rocky Hollow where Greenwich Podiatry is now?

Old 06-18-2016, 08:32 AM

8,496 posts, read 4,557,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARIZanon View Post
I think it was 'Jolly Jon's', dfour - and before or after that it was 'Burger Chef'. Wasn't there also a 'Jolly Charlie' somewhere? I can remember Salty Brine doing a commercial for them - with him pronouncing Charlie as rhyming with Jolly.

Jolly Jon's was at the corner of Main and Old Forge Rd in East Greenwich, where 'Greenwich Village' is now.

Does anybody remember Hathaway's Record Store just up Main St at Rocky Hollow where Greenwich Podiatry is now?

Jolly Charlie's was a small kid's amusement park on Route 1 in North Attleborough-MA (across from the present day Stop & Shop/McDonalds). Some other landmarks in the 2 mile stretch north of where the Emerald Sq Mall now is, were Jack Witchi's sports Arena (where CarMax is), Lums (now a Dunkin Donuts), and a stand alone HoJo's restaurant (where CVS is).

Old 06-18-2016, 08:46 PM

2,811 posts, read 2,181,664 times
It was Jolly Cholly's, not Charlie's. The GOLF sign is still there.

Old 06-19-2016, 08:33 PM

10 posts, read 24,694 times
Default Kent cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by pystachio View Post
Red Rooster Tavern -- North Kingstown, RI -- How'd a place like this ever shut down?
LuPino's Pizza -- Warwick, RI -- The fresh tomato pizza in particular was delicious. They are little known, but they existed for decades.
Woolworth's -- Wakefield Mall -- I remember sitting in a restaurant in the middle of the store as a kid. They had those yellowish/brown drinking glasses.
The Kent Cinema -- East Greenwich, RI -- Earliest known movie I recall seeing there was Poltergiest. Last movie I recall seeing there was A Chorus Line.
The first movie I saw was at the Kent, too, pystachio! It was 'Old Yeller' in late 1957 or early 1958. A year or so earlier, we had tried to see 'Westward Ho The Wagons!' there but when we drove up Main St to the theater, there was a line of kids that stretched all the way down Greene St and circled around Liberty St and into infinity so we gave up and went back home.

In 1964, the Kent was the only local place to show 'A Hard Day's Night' and as you might imagine, it was packed to the gills.

Right across Main St was where the original Our Lady of Mercy church was before it burned down in the early 60's. We used to go to confession on a Saturday morning and then cross the street to meet our school friends at the Kent. Back then, there were double features with cartoons that would take up a good chunk of the afternoon.

In memory serves, The Red Rooster Tavern served Chinese food in 1970. I don't know why it closed.

I also have strong memories of the Howard Johnson's on Post Road and West Main St in Wickford.

Old 06-20-2016, 09:12 PM

4,375 posts, read 3,190,229 times
I'm surprised no one mentioned the Jolly Jim's in Coventry. I have no idea if its any relation to the other places you mentioned but I remember it having a similarly tall sign as the one in EG.

And then I remember Newberry's lunch counter in Arctic, where they'd give you your soda in those triangle cardboard cups inside the outer metal cup - no idea what that's called.

And then there was also Rexall's fountain counter in Arctic and the Donut Kettle. A third place escapes my memory. I want to say it was called Newport News or Arctic News - it was a stationery store that maybe had a soda counter as well? I can't really remember.

Old 08-05-2016, 11:05 AM

1 posts, read 5,034 times
Default Duncan Fyffe was across from Garden City

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
Can't recall the names of a couple of longtime local restaurants that eventually closed. What was the place next to the Warwick Musical Tent? What was the name of the restaurant directly across from the entrance to Garden City on Rte 2?

I am getting stuck. Was the Warwick place the Country Inn or something similar? I think the place in Cranston either had Yankee or fyfe in its name.
Duncan Fyffe was across from Garden City

Old 08-09-2016, 11:38 AM

1,726 posts, read 1,720,363 times
Is State Line Diner on Rt. 6 in Foster still open?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island