Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2008, 07:58 AM

9 posts, read 25,126 times

Advertisements

I am currently living in England and have done for the last 18 years, am originally from Perth, Western Australia.

This summer I am being re-located to the States with my job.

I will need to be based on the east coast and will be travelling a lot to Georgia, Illinois, Texas, New York City, Florida and within Massachusetts and New Hampshire.

I was in MA last summer on holiday and loved Boston, could definately see myself living there but would love some advice on areas that would be suitable.

I am single, 37 and would enjoy being in an area that is safe and where I can meet new people, have easy access to a gym, airport, train station and good supermarkets.

My company would love me to be in an area that is in closer commutable distance to Manhattan (ie Connecticut) but as I have never been to this state, I have no idea what to expect.

Can anyone please give me some information on CT, RI and good areas around Boston?

Many thanks

Melissa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2008, 05:30 AM

3 posts, read 14,780 times
Default commuting options for CT

Melissa -

If you do need to be in close commuting distance to Manhattan I urge you to consider Stamford Connecticut, a compact walkable city with a thriving arts scene downtown which is also an easy Metroliner ride (30 minute ride for $7) to Grand Central Station. It is also blessed with stunning architecture and zillions of fantastic restaurants, and a cost of living that is about 1/2 to 1/3 of Manhattan.

Providence, Rhode Island is accessible to Manhattan via the Amtrak Acela high speed train, about 3 hours. And Providence remains quite affordable.

Boston, Massachusetts would be my personal first choice -- if you can afford it. The Acela train goes from South Station or Back Bay straight to Penn Station in Manhattan in about 3.5 hours.

Old 02-12-2008, 11:24 AM

9 posts, read 25,126 times
Thank you for your recommendations, I really appreciate it!

Old 02-13-2008, 05:02 PM

7 posts, read 24,478 times
If you need to fly within the States frequently, I would also suggest almost anywhere in RI as TF Greene airport in Warwick is a much easier place to fly to/from than Logan in Boston.

Housing costs in RI are also a mite lower and traffic is much more bearable than Beantown and western CT into NYC. We've also got great markets and restaurants and more than enough malls and places within a short drive to spend your hard-earned dollars !

Good luck to you !

Old 02-13-2008, 10:22 PM

2,412 posts, read 7,178,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RI Woman View Post
If you need to fly within the States frequently, I would also suggest almost anywhere in RI as TF Greene airport in Warwick is a much easier place to fly to/from than Logan in Boston.
While it's true that T F Green (PVD) is a much easier airport than Logan (BOS), the choice of flights out of PVD is minuscule compared to BOS. Flying out of PVD means changing planes frequently (on DL through CVG; US through PHL; UA through ORD; CO through EWR), and it means flying on a lot of small airplanes as the airlines have switched a lot of their flights to regional jets in recent years. And, of course, PVD has no trans-Atlantic flights, nor does it have any airline lounges (which are a real bonus for frequent fliers). Though BOS can be brutal, in some ways PVD is much better for leisure travelers than it is hard-core business travelers.

One key exception: PVD offers lots of service on Southwest Airlines. If your travel is to a Southwest destination, PVD could be an ideal spot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island