Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2016, 08:03 PM

4 posts, read 11,646 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are thinking about moving to a East Greenwich with our two year old daughter. What is it like living there? I know it has good schools, but how are the people? How is the culture? Is it a nice place to live? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2016, 11:07 PM

1,586 posts, read 2,148,982 times
I moved there just over a year ago. It's a great place to live. The central location within the state means you're never really far from anywhere. The culture is definitely suburban, which is kind of a new thing for me -- I'm a city guy. You're not going to find a lot of young singles. It's mostly families. There are loads of young kids. But there's a lot of diversity (though not of an ethnic variety) within that box. There are neighborhoods here with enormous houses owned by very wealthy people, but my neighborhood has a lot of cops and teachers. About a one-minute drive from my house, there's a tiny, falling-apart shack right next to a house that I'd estimate to be around 7,000 square feet.

People are generally very friendly, I've found. Beyond that, in terms of their personalities and lifestyles, they're all over the place. I live on the same block as both a Wiccan family and a guy who flies a Tea Party-approved Gadsden flag. I know vaccine skeptics and I know high-powered corporate executives. I guess what I'm trying to say is that you'll find people you're in tune with. (I wouldn't be so quick to make that guarantee if you weren't married with a child.)

What most people here have in common is that they value pretty neighborhoods, good schools, easy access to conveniences. Everyone likes going down to Main Street for a stroll and lunch or dinner. Everyone takes full advantage of the many shopping options both in town and in the immediate surrounding area.

All in all, with the exception of the adjacent Cowesett neighborhood of Warwick (which is culturally linked to East Greenwich), there's probably no place in the state I'd rather live.

Old 03-04-2016, 06:52 AM

Thank you so much. That is really helpful!

Old 03-08-2016, 06:59 AM

Anyone have any experience with the schools in EG? Are they really that good?

Old 03-08-2016, 12:59 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,591,694 times
EG is nice on all levels
it's a little tight but I can't say anything
negative about it.

Old 10-13-2016, 08:07 AM

1 posts, read 2,429 times
Hi,
We live in East Greenwich and moved here from a city over (North Kingstown). We have three girls all in the school system and have to say we absolutely love it. We have experienced lower elementary (k-2), the upper elementary (3-5) and now the middle school and have nothing but good things to say.
As far as the people, we haven't had any bad experiences. There are tons of families here all with different lifestyles, but community is very important and everyone comes together for school events, city events, etc.
We have a surgeon, plumber, teacher, stay at home moms etc in our neighborhood and everyone gets along great and the kids all play together

Old 01-17-2017, 07:08 PM

5 posts, read 7,588 times
Are there any neighborhoods in particular that are more family oriented than others?

I would guess areas in the immediate vicinity to the high school, but was wondering about anything beyond that.

Thank you.

Old 01-17-2017, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyinglow View Post
Are there any neighborhoods in particular that are more family oriented than others?

I would guess areas in the immediate vicinity to the high school, but was wondering about anything beyond that.

Thank you.
The harbor part of the Hill and Harbor District has a lot of multi-family housing occupied by singles (I know that contradicts my older post, but I guess I wasn't thinking of that area at the time). Other than that it's all very family oriented.

Old 01-17-2017, 08:13 PM

5 posts, read 7,588 times
Well thank you for the quick response, I wasn't sure how active these forums were.

I've been doing some reading in here to get a sense of what area of RI might be best for my family. I keep coming back to EG, the pros seem to outweigh the cons.

Old 01-18-2017, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyinglow View Post
Well thank you for the quick response, I wasn't sure how active these forums were.

I've been doing some reading in here to get a sense of what area of RI might be best for my family. I keep coming back to EG, the pros seem to outweigh the cons.
No problem. It's a great town. Among a certain type of upper-middle-class young professional, you'd think East Greenwich and Barrington were the only towns in Rhode Island. Of those two, though, I slightly prefer East Greenwich because of its better access to great beaches; more charming downtown; better parks (counting Goddard State Park, which is technically in Warwick but effectively in EG); proximity to shopping in Warwick and Cranston; less traffic; fewer areas needing flood insurance; and more diverse housing stock, including more affordable housing than Barrington even as the median household income is significantly higher.

That's to take nothing away from Barrington, which has slightly better access to Providence; is more scenic (if you prefer water to woods, which I do); is a smidge closer to Boston; and is in the East Bay, which I think is overall the best region in the state.

Sorry, I didn't mean to turn this into EG vs. Barrington, but all EG threads must turn into EG vs. Barrington.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island