Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2016, 07:16 PM

23,625 posts, read 18,749,452 times

Advertisements

...after #1 KY.

Why so high?

States with the Highest Cancer Rates

KY makes sense with all the coal and associated pollution, but one would think WV, PA, OH, etc. would fill the top 5.

Is it because of all the old industry in RI?

Hot wieners?

Doughboys?

Coffee milk?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2016, 07:32 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,642,454 times
Don't take this as a fact but I read somewhere recently that the person who discovered cancer said its cause is a lack of oxygen. I noticed a lot of the states were Northeastern where there may be a high consumption of sea food. Radon levels in the home can be a factor also.

I have lost three siblings and a father to cancer so this subject is one that I study every chance I get.

I think everybody should spend at least one hour each day outside and do some very vigorous activity. Make sure you get your vitamin D3. Eat your antioxidants. Stay as happy as possible.

I think our bodies have a natural immunity to cancer that can attack the cells and do away with the bad ones. I believe the treatments now used to rid the body of cancer will be as backward in the future as bleeding a person in the 1800's was. There has to be a better cure.

Old 03-31-2016, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Don't take this as a fact but I read somewhere recently that the person who discovered cancer said its cause is a lack of oxygen. I noticed a lot of the states were Northeastern where there may be a high consumption of sea food. Radon levels in the home can be a factor also.

I have lost three siblings and a father to cancer so this subject is one that I study every chance I get.

I think everybody should spend at least one hour each day outside and do some very vigorous activity. Make sure you get your vitamin D3. Eat your antioxidants. Stay as happy as possible.
True my current state of Maine has high levels of radon, which is blamed for elevated levels of cancer.

Lack of oxygen makes sense, but shouldn't places like Maine, Minnesota, N and S Dakota be higher than Rhode Island (as they are much colder)?

Not sure about the seafood. Certain things like tuna and farm raised salmon have high mercury levels, but shellfish (that RI and NE are particularly known for) are very safe.

Old 04-01-2016, 01:10 AM

1,586 posts, read 2,150,559 times
Pretty disturbing news -- I wasn't aware of that. My wife has had cancer and was actually going through chemo when we moved here. I don't think she would have been so quick to make the move had she known about that statistic. Then again, we live on a quiet street now, whereas when we lived in New York, we lived on one of the busiest streets in Queens, if not the busiest. We had to dust all the time because the furniture would get covered in a layer of dust within about a day of cleaning. We didn't think about it often, but we were inhaling that. I'm confident that had something to do with her getting sick.

It's not perfect, but you'll notice that the list corresponds roughly to population density. Denser states tend to have higher cancer rates.

Living within 1,000 feet of a highway -- which we also did, in addition to the busy surface street we lived on -- has also been linked to autism, and sure enough, we ended up having a kid with autism. When we bought our house, we made sure it was well over 1,000 feet from a highway.

Radon is definitely another issue. Our house tested high for radon when we bought it, so we insisted the sellers install a radon-remediation system before we closed on it. Now the level of radon is barely perceptible. I'd encourage everyone to get their home tested, because you can fix it.

Interesting that Rhode Island is No. 2 in cancer rates but No. 31 -- below average! -- in cancer deaths. I guess that's a testament to the quality of medical care.

Old 04-01-2016, 06:29 AM

9,300 posts, read 14,916,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boulevardofdef View Post

Interesting that Rhode Island is No. 2 in cancer rates but No. 31 -- below average! -- in cancer deaths. I guess that's a testament to the quality of medical care.
Rates probably high because of good detection. RI has good medical service and a high dr/patient ratio compared to other parts of the country. We also have a relatively older population; i.e. Utah has a low cancer rate and has a median age of 30.5 (plus more Mormons who don't drink or smoke)- RI has a median age of 39.8

lack of oxygen? must be joking.

Last edited by Hollytree; 04-01-2016 at 06:37 AM..

Old 04-01-2016, 09:13 AM

3,822 posts, read 2,703,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Rates probably high because of good detection. RI has good medical service and a high dr/patient ratio compared to other parts of the country. We also have a relatively older population; i.e. Utah has a low cancer rate and has a median age of 30.5 (plus more Mormons who don't drink or smoke)- RI has a median age of 39.8
I think this is a good point. There are a wide variety of types of cancer and a wide variety of causes. This ranking doesn't differentiate between types of cancer. One might expect an area with a high rate of smoking to have high lung cancer rates. One might also expect an area with high radon levels to also have high lung cancer rates. Lump all types of cancer together and things get murky.

I'm not sure this list is useful as a guide to choose where to live in order to avoid cancer, unless your metric is % of cancer cases cured. That might say something about the medical care provided in a particular state.

Old 04-01-2016, 04:02 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,555,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ormari View Post
I think this is a good point. There are a wide variety of types of cancer and a wide variety of causes. This ranking doesn't differentiate between types of cancer. One might expect an area with a high rate of smoking to have high lung cancer rates. One might also expect an area with high radon levels to also have high lung cancer rates. Lump all types of cancer together and things get murky.

I'm not sure this list is useful as a guide to choose where to live in order to avoid cancer, unless your metric is % of cancer cases cured. That might say something about the medical care provided in a particular state.

There is no cure for cancer. Once you have it, you have it. The only upside is that you can get put into remission, sometimes for a few or many years, or for the rest of your life. But it is never considered cured. Progress has been made in some types of cancer where remission is almost a given. And, that depends on the stage it is at. There are some lung cancers, extremely rare, at the Stage 4+ level than have been put in remission. But cure is not a word used for cancer. Incredibly great research is ongoing. Based on the size of RI vs. other states, RI does seem to have a very high incidence of some types of cancer. I've wondered sometimes if it has anything to do with seafood. Similar in Cape Cod, very high risk of BrCA there as well. Someday we will have even better information than currently. Many top notch oncologists have given up their practice and gone into research at the various cancer centers across the country.

Old 04-01-2016, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
There is no cure for cancer. Once you have it, you have it. The only upside is that you can get put into remission, sometimes for a few or many years, or for the rest of your life. But it is never considered cured. Progress has been made in some types of cancer where remission is almost a given. And, that depends on the stage it is at. There are some lung cancers, extremely rare, at the Stage 4+ level than have been put in remission. But cure is not a word used for cancer. Incredibly great research is ongoing. Based on the size of RI vs. other states, RI does seem to have a very high incidence of some types of cancer. I've wondered sometimes if it has anything to do with seafood. Similar in Cape Cod, very high risk of BrCA there as well. Someday we will have even better information than currently. Many top notch oncologists have given up their practice and gone into research at the various cancer centers across the country.
On the Cape it has been more attributed to the ground water, but you could be right.

All Northeast states are high, and the lowest are generally all in the SW/West. My guess is it's more environmental than a matter of "higher detection" in places like RI.

Old 04-01-2016, 07:08 PM

3,822 posts, read 2,703,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Yeah, you can't cure death either, but like cancer, with care one can often put it off for a while. And that's all I meant. Chillax.

Old 04-01-2016, 08:47 PM

9,300 posts, read 14,916,355 times
Actually, the premise may be faulty- that RI is no 2.
The internet slideshow cited by the OP is by "healthgrove" and does not give a source of data.

These stats from cancer.gov do not show RI as no. 2.
State Cancer Profiles
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
View detailed profiles of: