Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2016, 10:52 AM

77 posts, read 187,663 times

Advertisements

Wow, well, I stand corrected. I had looked a few months ago at the east side and there were at least condos on the market for under $300K - I am assuming that at this point you don't need more than a 2 bed, and then perhaps move up from there if you have another child. But I looked again and even Oak Hill is empty of listings in that price range.
All I can say is that inventory is very low right now, so keep your eyes on it and maybe enlist a realtor to send you listings so that if something comes up in that neighborhood, you will be prepared to act on it.
Also, the area directly around Roger Williams is very nice - again, I have no idea about the schools in that area, so you would have to check those out.
I know I am probably stirring the pot here, but have you looked at Bristol, Swansea, Warren area? Although it is not quite as "artsy" and urban - it is such a great area to be so close to that, but have farms all around you as well. I live in Warren, and I really love that I can go to the farm stands. A bonus to being on the east bay is that you are on the "right" side of the bay if your husband needs to get to Boston - he won't have to drive through Providence traffic. So, just a suggestion and I might be opening a can of worms for others on this thread :-/
Good luck! And yes, perhaps we will meet and you will force a glorious friendship!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2016, 11:28 AM

3,799 posts, read 2,696,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ediet View Post
I know I am probably stirring the pot here, but have you looked at Bristol, Swansea, Warren area? Although it is not quite as "artsy" and urban - it is such a great area to be so close to that, but have farms all around you as well. I live in Warren, and I really love that I can go to the farm stands. A bonus to being on the east bay is that you are on the "right" side of the bay if your husband needs to get to Boston - he won't have to drive through Providence traffic. So, just a suggestion and I might be opening a can of worms for others on this thread :-/
I actually think Warren does have a good little art scene going on. Great point. But for commuting by car I'd prefer Providence & I-95 to Warren & Rte 24, even if 24 bypasses PVD. Providence traffic isn't the bulk of the problem in commuting to Boston. And Providence has a train.

Old 04-01-2016, 12:14 PM

9,290 posts, read 14,905,031 times
Quote:
Wow, well, I stand corrected. I had looked a few months ago at the east side and there were at least condos on the market for under $300K - I am assuming that at this point you don't need more than a 2 bed, and then perhaps move up from there if you have another child. But I looked again and even Oak Hill is empty of listings in that price range.
All I can say is that inventory is very low right now, so keep your eyes on it and maybe enlist a realtor to send you listings so that if something comes up in that neighborhood, you will be prepared to act on it.
Also, the area directly around Roger Williams is very nice - again, I have no idea about the schools in that area, so you would have to check those out.
Good luck! And yes, perhaps we will meet and you will force a glorious friendship!
Low inventory and higher prices. Prices are well above 300k for single family houses in trendy communities with good schools and walkable artsy districts. Oak Hill is variable- some streets are very nice and others are on the cusp of decrepit esp. around west & north of Shea HS which is a poor school.

If you enjoy urban pioneering like Ormari then you can find areas to pioneer in. You can also look into fixer uppers although I find that the vast majority of houses for sale in RI are fixer uppers regardless of price. A house in my area of the east side just sold for way over 600k and the new owners are spending months updating.

Of course, people's tastes and housing requirements vary vastly. If you just want modest, safe, & middle class and drive to trendy artsy areas then do look in the burbs & by that I mean surrounding towns.

The east bay in general is much higher priced now than it used to be. Both Bristol & Warren have become more trendy and expensive- esp. Bristol.

Another very safe area with relatively low priced houses & decent schools is the very rural west side of the state; Foster, Glocester, Burrillville, etc. You do have to drive about 20+ minutes to amenities however, but depends on what you want for the kids and how much space you need.

Old 04-01-2016, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
If you enjoy urban pioneering like Ormari then you can find areas to pioneer in. You can also look into fixer uppers although I find that the vast majority of houses for sale in RI are fixer uppers regardless of price. A house in my area of the east side just sold for way over 600k and the new owners are spending months updating.
Jeez, I really dislike that terminology. Urban Pioneer? While the other neighborhoods might be a bit more uncouth than the genteel East Side, it's not as if one need circle the wagons.

I think if one is looking to live in the City of Providence, one need not confine their choice to the East Side. I would wager that, exclusive of students, more artists live in Olneyville, Federal Hill, West End, Elmwood, Upper South Providence, Washington Park, and Smith Hill than the East Side. The same could probably be said for Pawtucket. And that is frequently a clue about which neighborhoods are hot, or at least, will be tomorrow.

Old 04-02-2016, 12:15 PM

4,402 posts, read 3,195,009 times
Quote:
Maybe these are new.

Riliving

Riliving

Riliving

But it's true, property goes under contract very quickly in Oak Hill and the East Side.

Old 04-02-2016, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ormari View Post
I think if one is looking to live in the City of Providence, one need not confine their choice to the East Side. I would wager that, exclusive of students, more artists live in Olneyville, Federal Hill, West End, Elmwood, Upper South Providence, Washington Park, and Smith Hill than the East Side. The same could probably be said for Pawtucket. And that is frequently a clue about which neighborhoods are hot, or at least, will be tomorrow.
Absolutely true. But let's allow the family with 1 possibly 2 kids to go to school decide after seeing these neighborhoods & investigating the school quality- that's what this is all about.

Old 04-02-2016, 07:31 PM

4,402 posts, read 3,195,009 times
Quote:
Absolutely true. But let's allow the family with 1 possibly 2 kids to go to school decide after seeing these neighborhoods & investigating the school quality- that's what this is all about.
let's allow? Are you suggesting anyone was stopping her from doing that? I would hope everyone would 'allow', nay encourage potential newcomers to explore multiple options!

Old 04-03-2016, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtzst1 View Post
We noticed there is plenty in our range (300K) and I see some in North Providence and places like Elmhurst neighborhood. I'll look up schools of course but any input there would be great. I personally like to walk to some kind of amenities be it stores, restaurants, parks, woods, etc. We are looking for a single family house with a garage or extra space to do artwork. Which leads me to my next question.
You know, Elmhurst could really be a good choice for you, and maybe won't be that different from Medford, MA. I am unaware of any artists in Elmhurst but given that you're looking for a garage or extra space for the art studio, it could work out fine. I still recommend you explore some other parts of the city.

North Providence, on the other hand, is an acquired taste.

I have friends who have sent their children to Providence schools without issue.

Old 04-03-2016, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsonik View Post
let's allow? Are you suggesting anyone was stopping her from doing that? I would hope everyone would 'allow', nay encourage potential newcomers to explore multiple options!
I'm not stopping anyone from doing anything except giving bad advice. I'm sure she will explore multiple options and most likely reject those neighborhoods (Olneyville, Federal Hill, West End, Elmwood, Upper South Providence, Washington Park, and Smith Hill) since one of her requirements was schools.

She hasn't asked about crime but some of those areas will also be rejected on that basis.

The OP is asking us to narrow down options according to certain criteria- an area that meets only one or two requirements (low price?) is usually not enough to motivate a buyer.

Old 04-03-2016, 06:31 AM

Quote:
I'm not stopping anyone from doing anything except giving bad advice. I'm sure she will explore multiple options and most likely reject those neighborhoods (Olneyville, Federal Hill, West End, Elmwood, Upper South Providence, Washington Park, and Smith Hill) since one of her requirements was schools.

She hasn't asked about crime but some of those areas will also be rejected on that basis.
Nonsense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island