Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2016, 10:25 AM

2,811 posts, read 2,184,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp775 View Post
It was always privately operated; RIPTA just administered the contract. It was $8 one way in 2007, going up to $9 in 2008 because of fuel prices. I seem to recall that without the subsidy, the fare would have had to rise to $35 to continue operating, but I could be imagining that.
Check that; it was $12 one way in 2008. No discount for round trip.

As a comparison, the ferry from Jamestown to Newport is $14 one way, $24 round trip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2016, 10:30 AM

4,405 posts, read 3,197,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noccidoggo View Post
I think it would be fun for "casual summer visitors" but commuters? If it takes 65 minutes, that's about the same time it would take to get on the bus in Providence and travel, with all the stops included, through EP, Barrington, Warren, Bristol, Portsmouth, Middletown and finally arrive in Newport.

60 Providence / Newport
But it would be a much more pleasant trip, and it would avoid the possibility of traffic delays while offering some views a bus traveller wouldn't normally get. I'd take a boat ride over the bus ride anyday.

At the subsidized rate, obviously.

Old 04-21-2016, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noccidoggo View Post
I think it would be fun for "casual summer visitors" but commuters? If it takes 65 minutes, that's about the same time it would take to get on the bus in Providence and travel, with all the stops included, through EP, Barrington, Warren, Bristol, Portsmouth, Middletown and finally arrive in Newport.

60 Providence / Newport
I don't think there's a lot of reverse commuting to Newport, either. It might be an alternative for commuters into Providence as development in the Jewelry District emerges.

The selling point of the ferry over the 60 bus for tourists, besides water transportation being much more glamorous than a bus, is the acres of free parking at Conley's Wharf.

Old 04-21-2016, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieBoy View Post
Whatevah. The point is the service could not operate without the feds.
Sure it could. The state chose not to fund it, and the operator chose not to charge more.

Old 04-21-2016, 12:28 PM

9,294 posts, read 14,908,083 times
Maybe someone should do a water taxi which could be called up by appointment? The parking lot used to be at Fox Point on what is now Waterplace Park close to the hurricane barrier.

Old 04-21-2016, 02:00 PM

1,549 posts, read 3,056,073 times
The Interstate Navigation Company, Inc ran the Block Island Ferry from India Point, with a Newport stop, for many years. There was always parking at India Point and you could make a quick run to Wickendend Street for coffee and a sandwich. It was only a summer service and was not subsidized. Weather would greatly affect the numbers each day. The trip to Block Island was almost two hours.

I always felt there could be a summer tourist ferry from Providence-Bristol-Portsmouth-Newport-Jamestown-Wickford-East Greenwich-Providence. Two boats going in reverse directions. $5 per leg, except for the Newport-Wickford leg which would be $10. Having been to Boston Harbor, Baltimore's Inner Harbor and Puget Sound, I think we could do much better than we do with Narragansett Bay.

Old 04-21-2016, 05:35 PM

2,903 posts, read 3,458,099 times
^ You always have the inside story, mr2448, you always have the interesting details, which I love. Were these passenger-only ferries, or was that too much trauma for car-addicted Rhodies and it hosted cars, as well? And what time period are you referencing?

It seems like just a smart thing to do for in-state and out-of-state tourism.

Old 04-21-2016, 06:23 PM

1,549 posts, read 3,056,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieBoy View Post
^ You always have the inside story, mr2448, you always have the interesting details, which I love. Were these passenger-only ferries, or was that too much trauma for car-addicted Rhodies and it hosted cars, as well? And what time period are you referencing?

It seems like just a smart thing to do for in-state and out-of-state tourism.
It was a passenger only ferry. There is no ramp available to load cars at India Point. It left at 8 or maybe 8:30 am and returned about 6:30 pm. In total you only had about 6 hours on the Island. Can't remember when it ended, early 2000's? And I don't know when it started. The loss of service did cause RIPTA to seek out the Federal Grant they received to finance their Newport service.

Old 04-21-2016, 07:54 PM

1999 was the last year for the India Point to Block Island ferry. Interstate cited competition from the fast ferries from Galilee as the reason for decline in ridership. The trip took four hours. The stop in Newport was at Fort Adams; unless you bring bicycles, that isn't very useful for doing anything in Newport.

The state was already seeking bids for a commuter-type Providence to Newport ferry prior to Interstate ending it's service and may have been another cause for its abandonment.

Old 04-22-2016, 07:26 AM

9,294 posts, read 14,908,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2448 View Post

I always felt there could be a summer tourist ferry from Providence-Bristol-Portsmouth-Newport-Jamestown-Wickford-East Greenwich-Providence. Two boats going in reverse directions. $5 per leg, except for the Newport-Wickford leg which would be $10. Having been to Boston Harbor, Baltimore's Inner Harbor and Puget Sound, I think we could do much better than we do with Narragansett Bay.
Agreed. Maybe a car/passenger service would make more sense to Newport. Many islands in Maine offer this type of service. Come to think of it- the ferry to Prudence Is from Bristol takes cars.

Last edited by Hollytree; 04-22-2016 at 07:41 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island