Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2016, 01:42 PM

4,405 posts, read 3,198,584 times

Advertisements

I would vote against Barrington for a few reasons. As the richest town in the state, median house price is well over 300,000 and you'll get much less return on your dollar than you could elsewhere. Also, Barrington is overwhelmingly white and probably the least diverse town in the state. I have a friend who lives there and she dislikes that aspect of it, as well as the fact that most of the other moms are stay at home moms with wealthy husbands, who make her feel guilty for having a successful career. They would schedule PTA meetings during the day, for example, clueless to the fact that people work. They have good schools, but depending on where you work, it's a horrible commute.

Otherwise, I think you could find neighborhoods that fit the bill in most RI towns and acceptance shouldn't be a problem anywhere. In Providence you might try Elmhurst, Fruit Hill, Mt Pleasant, Edgewood but people did make some good points about the reputation of PVD schools. Cranston and West Warwick are two compact towns, where it's easy to walk for a gallon of milk. Same with the southern part of Cumberland and Pawtuxet village in Warwick is good for having some interesting shops and restaurants in a walkable neighborhood. Renting first is the way to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2016, 07:46 PM

3,799 posts, read 2,698,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahcvega View Post
Hi,
I'm looking to make a move from Brooklyn, NY to the Providence area in the next year and would appreciate some advice as I get to know the different neighborhoods.
We are a lesbian married couple in our late 30s with two young boys, ages 6 and 2.
So, a progressive neighborhood, LGBT friendly, where our boys won't feel ostracized is a must.
My wife and our kids are Puerto Rican, so some ethnic diversity is appreciated as well.
Decent schools are important; but decent means different things to different people and we value diversity and progressiveness over test scores.
We also VERY MUCH appreciate walkability- I'm probably spoiled from Brooklyn but I really don't want to have to get in the car for a gallon of milk. And maybe a walkable park and a few restaurants and shops would be nice as well...
Can you help me? Does this neighborhood exist? Any suggestions and comments would be very helpful!
Thanks,
Sarah Vega
It sounds like you are open minded enough to explore schools beyond the ratings that so many blindly follow. In Providence, Providence's Classical High School is the top rated public high school in the state, though admission is selective. Other Providence high schools aren't highly rated though that does not necessarily mean your children won't get a good education there. You'll have to look to see if you can navigate the schools before that, which some claim are in the midst of a minefield, and others say are fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IaminRI View Post
Providence schools are pretty bad in general, and as always, you need to be aware of areas with high lead levels with kids in PVD, its in the water supply, and all over the housing stock. If you still haven't ruled out Providence after that, then Elmwood is a great area. Broad St is a walkable area with lots of Latino businesses, and Elmwood is next to Roger Williams Park. It also has great highway access, and certainly is LBGT friendly.
But again, with 2 kids, I would steer clear of Providence totally due to bad schools, lead problems, and gang issues.
Elmwood is very diverse and very LGBT friendly. The armory/west broadway neighborhood of Providence is also a good spot for someone from Brooklyn. I differ with IaminRI about the severity of the lead concern, though it is a concern; it wouldn't stop me from choosing Providence.

Last edited by ormari; 06-23-2016 at 08:28 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 06-24-2016, 04:44 AM

8,031 posts, read 4,702,129 times
^^^^Since your children are 2 & 6, I wouldn't focus too much on Providence in order to get them into Classical High School, even if it is one of the top high schools in the state.

You may ask yourself, how much quality education do you want to sacrifice for the ethnic & income diversity Providence has to offer? As far as being an LBGT family, you should find Barrington very welcoming. Your Barrington sacrifice would be in housing. For $300,000 you'll get a small cottage which will likely need a bit of work. But, you'll still be in a nice, clean, safe, accepting hood with some of the best public schools in the state. Sometimes choices are never easy!

Old 06-24-2016, 06:00 AM

2,811 posts, read 2,184,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsonik View Post
As the richest town in the state, median house price is well over 300,000 and you'll get much less return on your dollar than you could elsewhere.
There are a surprising number of houses in Barrington under $300k, mostly near the East Providence line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
Your Barrington sacrifice would be in housing.
And walkability, and probably commute time.

Old 06-29-2016, 04:17 AM

1,319 posts, read 1,081,103 times
Quote:
Hi,
I'm looking to make a move from Brooklyn, NY to the Providence area in the next year and would appreciate some advice as I get to know the different neighborhoods.
We are a lesbian married couple in our late 30s with two young boys, ages 6 and 2.
So, a progressive neighborhood, LGBT friendly, where our boys won't feel ostracized is a must.
My wife and our kids are Puerto Rican, so some ethnic diversity is appreciated as well.
Decent schools are important; but decent means different things to different people and we value diversity and progressiveness over test scores.
We also VERY MUCH appreciate walkability- I'm probably spoiled from Brooklyn but I really don't want to have to get in the car for a gallon of milk. And maybe a walkable park and a few restaurants and shops would be nice as well...
Can you help me? Does this neighborhood exist? Any suggestions and comments would be very helpful!
Thanks,
Sarah Vega
Sarah, I am soon to be age 60, grew up in Bristol where I still reside and one of my closest friends from K-12 was a child of a lesbian couple. My friend's mom and her partner were initially married to men, had 3 children each and blended their families when they partnered. Despite this happening many years ago, I never remember my friend or any of her siblings being ostracized because their moms were lesbians. So, I do not think your boys in this day and age will have any problems with their parentage in any community in R.I.

You may want to take a good look at the town of Warren which borders Bristol where home prices just a tad lower. Warren has a lovely walkable down town which has a variety of shops and several restaurants, a cute town beach with a park, a diverse population, and IMO an all are accepted vibe. Warren has my favorite grocery store Tom's Market which is in walking distance if you were to purchase a home closer to the town center. Bristol and Warren regionalized their schools, and although the schools are not at the top of the R.I. list they are not at the bottom either.

Best of luck with your relocation search, and do take a good look at Warren because it may offer what you and your family are looking for. I will add that property taxes are pretty high in most of R.I., but with you coming from Brooklyn they likely won't be such a sticker shock for you as they would had you been relocating from down South.

Old 06-29-2016, 06:22 AM

77 posts, read 187,680 times
Hi Sarah,
My vote would be for the east bay - in particular Bristol. It has a fantastic little neighborhood feel, is very diverse and everything is right around the corner (including the oldest 4th of July parade in the nation). It is well within your budget, has a decent public school system - I would argue that it is better than Providence - and there are many events and things going on.
I live in Warren and would vote for that as well, I just think for the age of your kids, Bristol is a little better for school right now.
Check out the "East Bay Times" to get an idea of the local flavor.
Good luck!

Old 06-29-2016, 08:11 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,549,944 times
Quote:
Thanks! I was looking at Oak Hill.
Our budget is to buy, under 300,000... maybe rent first to feel it out.
Private schools are not in our budget!
Thanks! Any more suggestions? We will be exploring the area this summer.

Suggest you sign up on www.RILiving.com which is the RI Assoc. of Realtors' website. Put in your criteria for the areas mentioned to check homes for sale in the areas you might be interested in. There is also good information on the link: "All About RI" at the bottom of the main page, with taxes in all cities and towns, etc. Best wishes.

Old 08-12-2017, 05:26 AM

10 posts, read 10,313 times
Default Here we come :)

Hi, it's been over a year but we finally have secured the job we were looking for and it starts in two weeks!
All of your advice has been so helpful to us as we studied neighborhood options.
Now, with a sudden job offer we have to rent a place before we buy and hope to choose our neighborhood wisely so that we can settle our kids into school and hopefully not need to move them again.
We are on the fence between Edgewood and Oak Hill. We love both neighborhoods and basically have to decide this weekend!
Because you guys were so helpful originally, I thought some of you might weigh in on the decision.
Thanks again!

Old 08-12-2017, 07:13 AM

822 posts, read 858,405 times
I would go with Oak Hill. Great location. I don't know about the schools though.

Old 08-12-2017, 07:17 AM

8,031 posts, read 4,702,129 times
Quote:
Hi, it's been over a year but we finally have secured the job we were looking for and it starts in two weeks!
All of your advice has been so helpful to us as we studied neighborhood options.
Now, with a sudden job offer we have to rent a place before we buy and hope to choose our neighborhood wisely so that we can settle our kids into school and hopefully not need to move them again.
We are on the fence between Edgewood and Oak Hill. We love both neighborhoods and basically have to decide this weekend!
Because you guys were so helpful originally, I thought some of you might weigh in on the decision.
Thanks again!
Great, congrats! If the kids are going to public school, go Edgewood over Oak Hill. Cranston over Pawtucket public schools. Both neighborhoods are nice, but Cranston public schools are generally considered better than Pawtucket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island