Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 08:39 PM

1,341 posts, read 6,195,620 times

Advertisements

Hi folks,

We were Vermonters before moving down to Virginia in 2004. I'm a self-employed mad scientist / internet entrepreneur and my wife is an equestrian (dressage instructor, trainer, competitor). We moved down to Blacksburg, VA and tried out 0.3 acres in the 'burbs. We might have adjusted better had we not moved from a 1,000 acre family farm in Vermont. But after 9 months we went horse farm shopping and found a 38 acre property in the Roanoke, VA area. Our 38 acres grew to 128 acres (funny how that happens) and we've had a great time during the past 3 years. However, tending a horse operation this size, and keeping all of my internet wheels and cogs well oiled, is making Sean a very dull boy. So we're a bit like Goldilocks, looking for the bed that isn't too soft, or too hard, but just right. Ideally, we want a 10-20 acre property for a few personal horses that's close-in to town for the basics (large grocery, etc) and good public/private school options, and reasonably close to cultural centers (colleges, larger cities, etc).

So I sit down with various online tools and discover that southern RI appears to promise milder weather than upper New England. Is this true to a certain extent? If anyone lives in southern RI, could you describe the weather? I'm curious about such things as the frost line, a typical January day vs a typical July day? I'm also intrigued by data that seems to indicate more sunny days during the winter than upper New England. One of the real painful Vermont experiences for me was 7 out of 10 winter days with near total cloud cover.

I'm finding property we quite like in South Kingstown but one of the goals is to minimize driving to schools (two girls ages 5 and 8), minimize the distance traveled for town trips and so on. Are there large grocery stores in SK or would we be driving 20 minutes to do town trips? We're doing the 25 minutes to town thing right now and that's one of the activities I'd like to leave behind when we move up north.

I've also found properties in North Kingstown off of Tower Hill Road (Route 1). Is this a busy noisy road? The property I've found online looks like it has real potential but it's off Westmoreland Lane and the house is about 300' from Route 1 and some pasture is mighty close to Route 1. What is the speed limit of that road in that particular area?

Thanks!

Sean
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2008, 08:03 AM

2,040 posts, read 4,001,852 times
You are absolutely right. Parts of Rhode Island arguably have the mildest weather in New England. This Winter in particular we have been in the 40s quite a bit during the day, and have had plenty of sunshine. We always get less snow here too.

Last night we had about an inch and a half, but up in Barre, MA where my griflriend is they had like 6!

Note: This holds true more when you are south of Providence, as the northern suburbs and Burrillville to the west can get quite a bit of snow.

Old 03-01-2008, 02:54 PM

2,412 posts, read 7,183,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnrboy View Post
You are absolutely right. Parts of Rhode Island arguably have the mildest weather in New England. This Winter in particular we have been in the 40s quite a bit during the day, and have had plenty of sunshine. We always get less snow here too.

Last night we had about an inch and a half, but up in Barre, MA where my griflriend is they had like 6!

Note: This holds true more when you are south of Providence, as the northern suburbs and Burrillville to the west can get quite a bit of snow.
Rnrboy is exactly right. The climate difference between southern New England and northern New England is significant. Indeed, just 40 miles away in Worcester is VERY different.

Old 03-01-2008, 06:28 PM

Thanks!

I noticed the Worcester microclimate on very helpful climate maps located at Worldbook:

Massachusetts Climate | Picture of Massachusetts Climate Map | World Book Encyclopedia (http://www.worldbook.com/wb/Students?content_spotlight/climates/north_american_climate_mass - broken link)

Sean

Old 03-02-2008, 12:51 PM

30 posts, read 80,881 times
Hi Sean,

I am an equine enthusiast and I live in RI. The winters can range from mild to severe. This winter was very mild. Generally the really nice weather does not arrive here until mid-late April. You def will not wear shortsleeves til then. The ocean and beaches are beautiful. I know most of the farms in this area if you want to email me.

We keep our pony here but board the horse for winter. It is a nice state and everything is convenient to get to, less than an hour away. The schools are generally pretty good although they vary somewhat in different areas.

If you have any other questions Id be happy to answer them. I may know the farm you are talking about. Ok take care.

Old 03-02-2008, 07:41 PM

Thanks Trigger! I may contact you soon.

I was raised in Vermont so I'm no stranger to cold. When you say severe winters I think of life in Vermont in January and -20F temperatures with 30mph wind gusts I think of coming back from horse chores with my wet jeans (filling troughs) frozen so hard I can't bend my knees. I think of ground frozen hard 60" down and farm Gators that won't start until you tow them into the machine shop and park it next to the wood stove for an hour And 110" of snow that's thawed and refrozen down to a 24" of dense "permafrost" that doesn't fully thaw and disappear until April. And then you've got a solid month of soupy mud to deal with

Anything less severe than that I'll embrace with open arms. Of course, it will be tough to adjust after living in Virginia for 4 years. Today, March 1st, it was 68F and Nancy and the kids and I took a relaxing walk through our trails today, marveling at the swelling tree buds and bulbs already sprouting 6" from the ground. Overall, I _still_ miss New England, so that speaks volumes for all you Yankees now doesn't it?

Sean

Old 03-03-2008, 04:39 PM

72 posts, read 256,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanpecor View Post
I've also found properties in North Kingstown off of Tower Hill Road (Route 1). Is this a busy noisy road? The property I've found online looks like it has real potential but it's off Westmoreland Lane and the house is about 300' from Route 1 and some pasture is mighty close to Route 1. What is the speed limit of that road in that particular area?
Yes it can be busy. However, as I am sure you will learn, the speed limit does not matter in this state. I travel that stretch of road 5x/week, and I ge passed when I am going 80. Just part of the BS to deal with in that area.

Old 03-04-2008, 04:30 AM

Huh. Down here in the Roanoke, VA area right now, people pretty much stick to the 9mph over the speed limit - and no faster - rule on state roads. Those commuter who don't get tagged - there are "round ups" on a weekly basis. I'm talking up to six unmarked cruisers pulling over ANYONE going 10mph or over the posted limit. When I first moved here, I was caught in one of those roundups. I remember being parked on the shoulder along with five other tagged drivers awaiting their tickets. It's harsh but effective. After that, I walked the line, that's for sure!

Sean

Old 03-04-2008, 06:04 AM

257 posts, read 1,336,427 times
South Kingstown has a decent little town center called Wakefield. It has a large grocer (Shaws) and even a tiny mall there. You definitely would not have to wander far to reach them. The elementary schools are pretty local too, and you're close to the beaches. Beware that the URI campus is also in South Kingstown (Kingston), so you'll be close to rowdy college students during the school year. They pretty much stick to the URI campus and Bonnet Shores in Narragansett though.

Everyone is right on about the weather, when it's snowing in Boston or even Providence, it's usually raining in South Kingstown.

Old 03-04-2008, 08:51 AM

Thanks ProvGuy. I located one example potential property on the south end of S. Kingstown, almost, for practical purposes, in Charlestown. It's a wee less than 2 miles to some sort of shared private ocean beach (whatever that means). I think that puts us a little farther from Wakefield but it's still convenient, and also convenient to Charlestown I imagine?

Sean
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island