Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2017, 04:20 PM

2 posts, read 4,688 times

Advertisements

My husband and I and our moving from Mass to RI with our son.Found couple homes in Portsmouth and Bristol. Can I please get opinions on communities, specifically friendliness and community activities. Also would like some more information on schools, specifically Bristol. How are the schools with special needs IEP plans?. Plan to stay long time so looking at high schools in comparison also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2017, 07:07 AM

8,032 posts, read 4,696,584 times
Bristol & Portsmouth are both special in their own ways. Both beautiful coastal towns. Portsmouth is good because it has "ok" schools, lower property taxes and is closer to fun Newport. Bristol is a traditional coastal New England small town with tons of character. Not much of Bristol is typically ugly, where Portsmouth has blocks of strip mall type shopping and traffic. As for IEP plans, others can give you a better comparison.

Old 07-17-2017, 08:09 AM

23,560 posts, read 18,700,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
Bristol & Portsmouth are both special in their own ways. Both beautiful coastal towns. Portsmouth is good because it has "ok" schools, lower property taxes and is closer to fun Newport. Bristol is a traditional coastal New England small town with tons of character. Not much of Bristol is typically ugly, where Portsmouth has blocks of strip mall type shopping and traffic. As for IEP plans, others can give you a better comparison.
There is FAR more "ugly" in Bristol than Portsmouth. Never been down Metacom Ave. I take it? Don't know about either town's schools, just that Portsmouth has a better reputation. It is correct that they are both nice towns in different ways, it depends on your preference.

Old 07-17-2017, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
There is FAR more "ugly" in Bristol than Portsmouth. Never been down Metacom Ave. I take it? Don't know about either town's schools, just that Portsmouth has a better reputation. It is correct that they are both nice towns in different ways, it depends on your preference.
I guess I was referring to the commercial built environment overall in both towns. Bristol has a charming village shopping area to balance off Metacom Av.. Portsmouth/Middletown not so lucky. However, Portsmouth's residential waterfront areas are as attractive as any.

Old 07-24-2017, 02:56 PM

3 posts, read 4,082 times
I just left that area about a year ago. Why will you be moving to RI over a bordering city in MA? What prompted you to target that area of RI? I ask because most people don't end up there for work. There really isn't a whole lot of economic activity there.

Both of those public schools should be great with IEPs, I don't know how one could be different from another aside from specific special education teachers. I don't have experience with the districts first hand to give better feedback, I do know that Portsmouth schools are considered very good. Perhaps you should call and talk with the special education directors at each district? That would probably give you a better idea.

I think both areas have friendly people, but you should know that most people in this area grew up here and never leave. Everyone knows everyone. The only new blood seems to be associated with the Navy base and those people replace eachother every few years. Locals tend to spend the entire summer at the beach and I still can't figure out how anyone outside of retirement age can afford it. I didn't like it there, my husband loved it.

Old 07-25-2017, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CYCLE08 View Post
I just left that area about a year ago. Why will you be moving to RI over a bordering city in MA? What prompted you to target that area of RI? I ask because most people don't end up there for work. There really isn't a whole lot of economic activity there.

Both of those public schools should be great with IEPs, I don't know how one could be different from another aside from specific special education teachers. I don't have experience with the districts first hand to give better feedback, I do know that Portsmouth schools are considered very good. Perhaps you should call and talk with the special education directors at each district? That would probably give you a better idea.

I think both areas have friendly people, but you should know that most people in this area grew up here and never leave. Everyone knows everyone. The only new blood seems to be associated with the Navy base and those people replace eachother every few years. Locals tend to spend the entire summer at the beach and I still can't figure out how anyone outside of retirement age can afford it. I didn't like it there, my husband loved it.
While many residents may never leave, the coastal/water view neighborhoods of both Portsmouth & Bristol are highly desirable seeing new residents, from the outside, move in constantly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island