Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 10:56 AM

1,020 posts, read 1,377,285 times

Advertisements

My son in NY state is considering Johnson & Wales in RI. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2008, 11:24 AM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times
My husband's nephew graduated from the one in NC (or SC). He got a great education.

Old 03-16-2008, 10:50 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,891,659 times
JW is famous for its culinary school. Which campus would he be out of? The one on the East Side has excellent location, right in the middle of Thayer Street and Brown University

Old 03-16-2008, 12:40 PM

Johnson & Wales have sent recruiters to our area high school & my son is interested. I guess my question is: Is it considered a bona fide university or is it a vocational/technical school? I know it has various locations throughout the country. Is the original site in RI more "authentic" than the others? Please pardon my ignorance; I am just trying to get a better handle on this institution, as my son seems most enthusiastic about this option. Thank you in advance for any insight you can provide.

Old 03-16-2008, 02:24 PM

774 posts, read 2,381,707 times
Well, I would check it out carefully.

J+W is very well known for their cullinary arts program so if that's an interest your son has then it might be a good choice.

Johnson and Wales has an "open enrollment" policy which means they are basically scooping up just about anyone ($ - let's be honest here)...not a plus.

Their downtown campus is not on thayer st (last I checked) but rather mainly between Weybosset and Westminster St.
Before taking another step-- you, your son, and family should be walking around this area (particularly at night) and making sure you want your son living near there.

Mikey

Old 03-16-2008, 03:26 PM

Thank you, Mikey. That is the exact type of information I was looking for. My very first impression was that it sounded almost "diploma-mill-ish" to me, so I just thought I would ask. Thanks again for your honesty.

Old 03-16-2008, 04:24 PM

2,412 posts, read 7,176,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notasmoker View Post
Thank you, Mikey. That is the exact type of information I was looking for. My very first impression was that it sounded almost "diploma-mill-ish" to me, so I just thought I would ask. Thanks again for your honesty.
While they may have open admissions, my impression is that it is a real school. I would NOT call it a diploma mill (i.e. a bogus institution that gives away meaningless degrees in exchange for money and no work). It has a unique niche in that it is a true vocational higher ed institution. They also have programs in hospitality/tourism stuff, too, IIRC.

Old 03-16-2008, 05:47 PM

774 posts, read 2,381,707 times
I agree, they're not a diploma-mill type school, still I'm not thrilled with open enrollment.

My son is a college freshman so this stuff is fresh in my mind. One or two of his friends got VERY QUICK acceptance letters from Johnson and Wales and my thought at the time was they were looking to lock some kids in before other schools got their interest.

Gibbs college (which I guess is going under) started to do some very unethical things (IMO) with their open enrollment policy.

Specifically, I had first hand reports from more than one student -who was in no way qualified to do college work- accepted at Gibbs, ran up over $6000 in loans, then eventually cut loose because they couldn't do the work.

I guess I just have a bad feeling about that sort of thing and what it could lead to.

Mikey

Old 03-16-2008, 06:11 PM

Thank you both for your input; it is very helpful.

Old 03-17-2008, 11:07 AM

2,412 posts, read 7,176,801 times
Gibbs and J&W are in two different leagues. Gibbs is what was once called a secretarial school; J&W is a true university.

As for open enrollments, keep in mind that: there are numerous legitimate open enrollment four-year universities in the U.S.; just about every community college in the U.S. is an open enrollment school; and states throughout the U.S. operate public universities with admissions standards so generous, including alternative admissions programs that offer entrance to students who don't meet the (already pretty easy) requirements, that they are for all practical purposes open enrollment institutions. If you're looking for exclusivity, J&W isn't it. But then again, most institutions of higher ed in the U.S. really aren't either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island