Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2008, 06:21 AM

1 posts, read 2,566 times

Advertisements

Hi All...

My husband and I are considering buying a vacation home with a possible transition to our full time residence in Newport, on the Point. We are pretty familiar with the area (have spent lots of time there in the summer, have year round friends there, even got married there!) but are concerned about homeowners insurance rates. One of my year round friends recently had a heck of a time finding insurance that wasn't absolutely ridiculous - apparently the insurance companies believe the entire island will be wiped out in a hurricane any minute! During her hunt she relayed that even the state legislators had taken it up because they, too, were having the problem finding companies that would even insure them, much less be reasonable instead of exorbitant.

Also, does anyone here have experience dealing with the Historic Commission? One particular house we are interested in would require an addition to meet our needs since it's a 1700s colonial that has had little updating, but I have no idea how anti-addition the commission might be. I realize plans must be approved, but as long as the house is not a landmark and the plans meet approval, are additions generally allowed?

Any input would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island