Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 12:35 PM

986 posts, read 2,335,018 times

Advertisements

Thick crust: Caserta's (their sauce is awesome)
regular pizza: Tommy's on Chalkstone
grilled pizza: Bob and Timmy's
thin crust: Pizza Pi-er or Fellini's
Greek: Gabriel's on Broadway or Minerva's on Thayer

Pizza strips are nasty. Sicilia's is terrible.

Nothing in Providence compares to New Haven pizza. I am not a huge fan of New York pizza. It's nothing special having grown up on New Haven pizza for 20+ years. Chicago pizza isn't pizza. If I want a really good pizza, I go to Sally's or Modern in New Haven (luckily, I still have family and friends down there). If I get pizza in Providence, it's usually from Tommy's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2011, 01:11 PM

171 posts, read 309,088 times
Thanks Jim. Just a minor correction. Minerva's Pizza is on South Angell Street in Wayland Square.

Old 04-06-2011, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopeStreet View Post
Thanks Jim. Just a minor correction. Minerva's Pizza is on South Angell Street in Wayland Square.
They're like the same thing to me.

Old 04-06-2011, 07:39 PM

12,874 posts, read 22,050,536 times
Sally's in New Haven is my favorite pizza on the planet. Somehow PVD made 3rd place on a list of top pizza towns in the U.S. (behind NYC and Chicago). Big snub to New Haven. I do agree with Runaway Jim's list though. Caserta's was my mothers favorite pizza when she was a kid. It's a legend.

If you're willing to pay more, Al Forno has some awesome pizza.

Old 04-07-2011, 09:10 AM

Even pizza from the towns around New Haven is worlds away from anything you can get here. I can deal with most of the pizza here, but get cravings for seriously awesome pizza, which just can't be found in RI.

Old 04-07-2011, 03:27 PM

12,874 posts, read 22,050,536 times
^Before I got rid of my car, I actually drove 2 hours to New Haven just to get Sally's. More than once. If I lived there, I'm sure I'd know more (better?) places to get pizza, but Sally's was worth it.

Providence is a pretty great little food city. I still think New Haven (on a national level) is one of the best kept secrets in terms of food (especially the pizza).

Old 04-07-2011, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
^Before I got rid of my car, I actually drove 2 hours to New Haven just to get Sally's. More than once. If I lived there, I'm sure I'd know more (better?) places to get pizza, but Sally's was worth it.

Providence is a pretty great little food city. I still think New Haven (on a national level) is one of the best kept secrets in terms of food (especially the pizza).
There's a lot of good Italian food in New Haven and a lot of good Asian food as well. I haven't had much else there, even though I grew up there.

Sally's and Modern are the best for pizza. People like to rave about Pepe's, but meh (though I've never been, I come from a Sally's family, but I've heard they've gone down hill).

Old 04-07-2011, 08:08 PM

583 posts, read 1,325,198 times
If New Haven pizza is so good, what makes it so good? Personally I like pizza on a crust that doesn't flop, with a good deal of tomato sauce, and not overdone with the cheese or basil out of a jar. Thin gourmet pizza is good if they don't burn the crust, but too overpriced. I think we get Tommy's at work and I'm pleased with it. Actually, the best pizza is south german onion pizza- a thin crust, with heaps of onions, some good quality bacon, and cheese in a cream sauce, with beer or wine on the side. Trust me it is killer.

Old 04-07-2011, 10:43 PM

23,625 posts, read 18,749,452 times
Casserta's hands down, if you know pizza at all . Greek pan pizza is garbage and so is Dominos/Papa Johns/Pizza Hut.

Old 04-08-2011, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltatrix View Post
If New Haven pizza is so good, what makes it so good? Personally I like pizza on a crust that doesn't flop, with a good deal of tomato sauce, and not overdone with the cheese or basil out of a jar. Thin gourmet pizza is good if they don't burn the crust, but too overpriced. I think we get Tommy's at work and I'm pleased with it. Actually, the best pizza is south german onion pizza- a thin crust, with heaps of onions, some good quality bacon, and cheese in a cream sauce, with beer or wine on the side. Trust me it is killer.
There's something about the way they make the dough and the sauce that's just perfect. The pizza is going to be floppy, but it's a super thin crust (thinner than New York). If it's done right, it's just firm enough and the outside crust is crispy. They don't use tons of cheese or sauce. It's actually less than you might expect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island