Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2019, 07:43 AM

8,029 posts, read 4,725,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
But most of them will not even LOOK at one of these small cottages, so yes the emphasis is on the "may".
Then we may agree. Most of the well heeled buyers don't give anything needing reno a second look.The reason they stay on the market and eventually see a price reduction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2019, 08:10 AM

24,573 posts, read 18,336,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
Unfortunately, lots (grandfathered?) under 20,000 sf have been approved for building in the Shores. This is troublesome given the other water issues Jamestown has. A few wells regularly go dry in a dry summer. With every little lot having its own well & septic system, it's asking for trouble.

How much of Jamestown is well & septic? I can't imagine granting a building permit on a sub-half acre lot with well and septic. That's a ticking time bomb.

Old 05-16-2019, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
How much of Jamestown is well & septic? I can't imagine granting a building permit on a sub-half acre lot with well and septic. That's a ticking time bomb.
Only the immediate village area is town water & sewer. Most of the island lots are on larger size, but the Jamestown Shores neighborhood suffers from small ones under 10,000sf. Some wells there can go dry in the summer. I agree, it is a ticking time bomb waiting for a significant drought or flooding to go off.

Old 05-16-2019, 10:35 AM

9,323 posts, read 14,945,768 times
Wells and septic have always made me nervous! I know some swear by them, but it seems to me a well could be contaminated pretty quickly, and most don't test their water that frequently.

Old 05-16-2019, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Wells and septic have always made me nervous! I know some swear by them, but it seems to me a well could be contaminated pretty quickly, and most don't test their water that frequently.
Surprisingly, it doesn't seem to be much of a problem. Most property undergoes septic inspection when it is sold. Water can be a problem, but usually not septic contamination. And, most everything else can be filtered/treated. Once I bought an estate sale house with several Culligan water filter tanks. Being ignorant and not liking soft water, I had them immediately removed. Little did I know they filtered iron content also. Within hours of the removal, all the water in the house turned a nasty shade of dark brown. Live & learn.

Old 05-16-2019, 05:30 PM

198 posts, read 151,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
you say this as if their were a choice when you move into a new home. Most city and towns with sewers and water mandate that you tie into their system when they are added to a community. You can not build a new house in an area with these services and not expect to tie in. Most new wells are placed to the rear of a home and must be 100 feet from a septic system. Older homes with wells toward the front of the home could be at risk because of road salt. Most don't test their water? Yes, we do, as we know the importance of it. Most do it every 5 years. And here in my part of Glocester you do need a water purifier with softener because of the high amount of iron. You learn quickly not to use bleach in your laundry.

Old 05-16-2019, 05:37 PM

23,738 posts, read 18,846,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark 24 View Post
you say this as if their were a choice when you move into a new home. Most city and towns with sewers and water mandate that you tie into their system when they are added to a community. You can not build a new house in an area with these services and not expect to tie in. Most new wells are placed to the rear of a home and must be 100 feet from a septic system. Older homes with wells toward the front of the home could be at risk because of road salt. Most don't test their water? Yes, we do, as we know the importance of it. Most do it every 5 years. And here in my part of Glocester you do need a water purifier with softener because of the high amount of iron. You learn quickly not to use bleach in your laundry.
The choice meaning, a house on town water/sewer vs. one without. It's a big consideration when purchasing a home.

Old 05-16-2019, 08:00 PM

164 posts, read 125,631 times
We spent probably 45K in MA on small lot to put a new septic system (3br house) in prep for sale :-(
Would think one near shores would be significant

Old 05-16-2019, 08:06 PM

9,323 posts, read 14,945,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
The choice meaning, a house on town water/sewer vs. one without. It's a big consideration when purchasing a home.
Absolutely. It's paying some every month to get city water and sewer or paying less and then incurring a big expense down the road.

Old 05-19-2019, 07:25 AM

4,435 posts, read 3,219,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
You do realize that in your obsessive pattern of arguing with anything independent man says, that you're actually helping to prove his point here?

He said you used to be able to get a modest shack for the median RI price, but now you can't. And you come up with examples of less than average houses for 40k more than the median. What did you think you were proving, exactly?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island