Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2019, 01:06 PM

17,828 posts, read 9,255,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
LOL

Things do change in 7 years. Freaking kids.
It has nothing to do with 7 years. The view changed 2 days ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2019, 03:40 PM

23,681 posts, read 18,791,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ormari View Post
The NIMBYs have every right to be wary. The natural gas infrastructure in Rhode Island and Massachusetts is a leaky disaster waiting to happen. The distribution lines have been poorly maintained for decades. If the natural gas purveyors (e.g. Natural Grid) won't keep the system in tip top shape, why should their suppliers (e.g. Algonquin/Spectra Energy) be permitted to expand the system?

The principal constituent of natural gas is methane, a gas that is a far worse green house gas than carbon dioxide.

Natural gas companies need to make a good faith effort. Get the leaks fixed and the gas distribution lines in good shape, and then we can talk about expansion of pipeline capacity.
There are several viable options, one of which is natural gas. Problem is, NONE of them are acceptable to the "green" people.

Old 04-30-2019, 04:07 AM

8,029 posts, read 4,715,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
There are several viable options, one of which is natural gas. Problem is, NONE of them are acceptable to the "green" people.
Yes, there are fewer options with global warming happening faster than predicted just 5 years ago. Sun & Wind. While better than oil & coal, even natural gas is becoming less of an option.

Old 05-02-2019, 01:04 PM

37,233 posts, read 39,498,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Asking for certain standards of maintenance for gas pipelines isn't that bad overall. Less loss is also better energy efficiency.

Old 05-02-2019, 05:28 PM

3,848 posts, read 2,714,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Asking for certain standards of maintenance for gas pipelines isn't that bad overall. Less loss is also better energy efficiency.
Of course! They're leaking natural gas into the atmosphere, which isn't good regardless of your viewpoint on climate change.

In addition to the environmental damage and safety risks that natural gas leaks cause, something tells me that the expense of those losses are borne by the ratepayer as well.

Last edited by ormari; 05-02-2019 at 05:40 PM..

Old 05-02-2019, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
Yes, there are fewer options with global warming happening faster than predicted just 5 years ago. Sun & Wind. While better than oil & coal, even natural gas is becoming less of an option.
I'll believe that environmentalists truly believe this and aren't merely flapping their gums when they put their money where their mouth is, i.e. when I hear of a massive conversion in chilly New England from Natural Gas heat to Electric Heat with a wind/solar sourcing requirement. Hasn't happened yet.

Old 05-03-2019, 01:00 AM

24,565 posts, read 18,309,279 times
Quote:
I'll believe that environmentalists truly believe this and aren't merely flapping their gums when they put their money where their mouth is, i.e. when I hear of a massive conversion in chilly New England from Natural Gas heat to Electric Heat with a wind/solar sourcing requirement. Hasn't happened yet.
So are you going to write me the $30,000+ check to convert my house from forced hot water natural gas to electric heat pump? My heating system was installed in 2010. The boiler, PEX piping, baseboard radiators, and the radiant heat in the bathroom floor are almost brand new.

Where does all this electricity come from during a January cold snap? Certainly not solar. Nobody is building nukes. My electricity comes from a natural gas fired power plant.

Old 05-03-2019, 04:31 AM

9,316 posts, read 14,929,514 times
Quote:
The wind/solar movement has been fought for years by the fossil fuel lobby. As long as the costs are higher, similar to the auto industry making sure of NOT producing an inexpensive more efficient non gas powered auto, it will be difficult to make a major switch. But it is slowly happening- especially if our government becomes less of an enemy to progress, like "flapping their gums" in support of coal!

Old 05-03-2019, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
So are you going to write me the $30,000+ check to convert my house from forced hot water natural gas to electric heat pump? My heating system was installed in 2010. The boiler, PEX piping, baseboard radiators, and the radiant heat in the bathroom floor are almost brand new.

Where does all this electricity come from during a January cold snap? Certainly not solar. Nobody is building nukes. My electricity comes from a natural gas fired power plant.
I think you missed my point, though in a way you're helping make it.

At the present time, it costs more money to go all electric heat in New England, and while people talk a good game, few make the personal commitment to pay out of their own pocket to drop natural gas, switch to electric heat, and buy their electricity from green-energy sources.

But in your case, you wouldn't have to put in a $30,000 heat pump system. You could get an electric boiler for your hot water heating system for one tenth of that price. Cost of the electricity to heat your home is a different matter.

You have choice over who supplies your electricity, don't you? You don't have to buy from a natural gas fired power plant. You could switch your electricity supplier to somebody like this, who provides green-sourced energy if you were so inclined. It's kind of interesting that on their website, the additional monthly cost implicitly assumes that you aren't using electric for heat! What does that say?

How that would work out for all of New England using green energy suppliers for heat during a January cold snap is a great question.

My point was, the option is available, but few walk the talk.

Note, that particular supplier, Green Energy Consumers Alliance, claims "Your total payments toward our Green Powered program are 100% federally tax-deductible."

Last edited by ormari; 05-03-2019 at 05:34 AM..

Old 05-03-2019, 07:51 AM

2,811 posts, read 2,188,166 times
Quote:
You have choice over who supplies your electricity, don't you?
No, you don't. It isn't like your internet service where multiple suppliers have their own cables on utility poles, and you can switch by having a technician come and hook a different cable up to your house. There is one power grid.

Quote:
You could switch your electricity supplier to somebody like this, who provides green-sourced energy if you were so inclined....Note, that particular supplier, Green Energy Consumers Alliance, claims "Your total payments toward our Green Powered program are 100% federally tax-deductible."
Because all you are doing by "switching" is donating money to a non-profit via your electric bill to purchase renewable energy credits elsewhere (and also contributing to their marketing of renewable energy). It's deductible as a charitable contribution (and useless if you don't itemize).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
View detailed profiles of: