Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2019, 02:15 PM

17,861 posts, read 9,297,914 times

Advertisements

OP, you'd probably get better info if you provide info about yourself.

What is your housing budget? And what are your expectations?

Do you have a job lined up here? If so, where is it located?

What are your priorities? Schools?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2019, 02:16 PM

8,029 posts, read 4,725,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan12345 View Post
Thank you for this information.
As I said others will disagree, but please excuse any unnecessarily snarky responses of a very few here. As the weather goes, the Narragansett Bay front towns get less snow and a bit warmer winter temps than inland Rhode Island. That can sometimes mean cold rain/sleet rather than snow. Or, if snow, less snow. And, even happy residents call Barrington, "Borrington". It's a common local reference. Some times in jest & sometimes not. "Snobby" is occasionally what the town is called by those who can't afford the price of entry. I've found townspeople quite open & friendly. It's also considered a very socially progressive place.

Old 09-16-2019, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
As I said others will disagree, but please excuse any unnecessarily snarky responses of a very few here. As the weather goes, the Narragansett Bay front towns get less snow and a bit warmer winter temps than inland Rhode Island. That can sometimes mean cold rain/sleet rather than snow. Or, if snow, less snow. And, even happy residents call Barrington, "Borrington". It's a common local reference. Some times in jest & sometimes not. "Snobby" is occasionally what the town is called by those who can't afford the price of entry. I've found townspeople quite open & friendly. It's also considered a very socially progressive place.
Other than the comment about Barrington being a socially progressive place, everything you wrote here is inaccurate.

Old 09-16-2019, 02:47 PM

9,323 posts, read 14,945,768 times
OP, the center of town with shops is in the vicinity of City Hall which you can see on Zillow maps.

If you located within a mile (more or less) of that area, you could easily walk to shopping. However, keep in mind that Barrington is a relatively small town (pop about 16,000) and somewhat suburban- so it may or not be what you're looking for. Best to visit.

[As IM says, do try to ignore the bullies and trolls on this forum- not always easy to do!]

Old 09-16-2019, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Other than the comment about Barrington being a socially progressive place, everything you wrote here is inaccurate.
I'm satisfied the OP has made her own determination on the accuracy of my comments.

Old 09-16-2019, 03:10 PM

If the OP wants accurate information about the area, and I assume he does, he'll get that from people that actually know the area. Real estate hucksters from other parts of the state that probably haven't spent more than a couple hours in Barrington aren't going to be helpful. Ditto with those that just yesterday learned that Barrington borders Seekonk, MA.

Old 09-16-2019, 03:14 PM

Quote:
If the OP wants accurate information about the area, and I assume he does, he'll get that from people that actually know the area. Real estate hucksters from other parts of the state that probably haven't spent more than a couple hours in Barrington aren't going to be helpful. Ditto with those that just yesterday learned that Barrington borders Seekonk, MA.
CD Trolls, on the other hand, have never been a good source of neighborhood information.

Old 09-16-2019, 03:17 PM

9,323 posts, read 14,945,768 times
Quote:
Thanks for proving the accuracy of my statement about bullies and trolls- especially those who come to absurd conclusions.

Old 09-16-2019, 04:01 PM

164 posts, read 125,631 times
Shaws sucks......................

Outside of Petvalue, never been in store there. Barrington Books is apparently quite good if one spends money on reading.

Note East Bay - grocery shopping is yucky outside of 4 Farms and Tony's in Seekonk.

Old 09-16-2019, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan12345 View Post
Thanks for this description. I haven’t been able to find a central “village.” Can it be defined as a walkable town? Could we walk to get coffee, groceries, a quick bite to eat?
It's possible to live in walking distance from the shopping area. In that case, it's walk-able. Otherwise, mostly you may have to jump in your car for a short trip. It's not a village in the tradition sense of a generous mixture of residential housing integrated closely with shops/restaurants. Nice environment nevertheless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island