Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2019, 03:05 PM

8,029 posts, read 4,725,007 times

Advertisements

Take notice newcomers! The bottom line is the very good news. According to the FBI, violent crime in Providence is decreasing - not increasing. 2018 was the best year on record. We should all be happy with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2019, 03:10 PM

9,323 posts, read 14,945,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
Take notice newcomers! The bottom line is the very good news. According to the FBI, violent crime in Providence is decreasing - not increasing. 2018 was the best year on record. We should all be happy with that.
Sure, but as you well know, there'll be doomsayers who won't be happy with it at all.

Old 10-01-2019, 03:13 PM

41,936 posts, read 37,041,955 times
Quote:

Well, its fairly obvious even without the stats that its nothing like the 80s and 90s. It's far safer. Common sense and street smarts are still needed, but outside of a very wealthy city, like Boston, it's hard to imagine it being much more sedate than it is. It can be hard to compare apples to apples though. Places like Newton are cities in political structure, but towns in size and diversity, so they screw many large data sets. There are sociological / urban studies research methodologies to account for those differences in data analysis however. In the end, people will see what they want to see... if they want to believe its dangerous and there are places its crazy to walk in, they'll see that. I'm still looking for them. I found them, by accident at times, when in Oakland in the mid 2000s (for one example, I came out of a show at a warehouse space and people were taking tires off of cars (thankfully not mine), lighting them on fire, and rolling them toward squad cars... that was legit yikes)... and saw some in person in Milwaukee and Chicago on purpose for work in the late 90s / early 00s. But those aren't places people would just randomly walk into, they had to be looked for. Perhaps those neighborhoods are in Providence too, I just haven't seen them yet. Kind of hard to imagine though with how small it is, but perhaps there is a 1-2 square block someplace.

Old 10-01-2019, 04:31 PM

17,860 posts, read 9,297,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree
It certainly wouldn't be to their advantage to minimize crime
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Less crime = more visitors = more money
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Police salaries are directly tied in to tourism?

Not when they can make double time by standing at a construction site.
This has nothing to do with police salaries. The police don't call the shots. The city does.

While no sane person would argue that NYC didn't get vastly safer, they went to great lengths fudging the stats to earn the label of safest city in America. And even greater lengths to keep that label. This is well documented. Similar stuff goes on in many (perhaps most) cities. I can't see why it wouldn't in Providence.

Old 10-01-2019, 04:57 PM

8,029 posts, read 4,725,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
This has nothing to do with police salaries. The police don't call the shots. The city does.

While no sane person would argue that NYC didn't get vastly safer, they went to great lengths fudging the stats to earn the label of safest city in America. And even greater lengths to keep that label. This is well documented. Similar stuff goes on in many (perhaps most) cities. I can't see why it wouldn't in Providence.
Have at it with fear mongering, I'll go with the FBI's take on violent crime FACTS in Providence.

Old 10-01-2019, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Have at it with fear mongering, I'll go with the FBI's take on violent crime FACTS in Providence.
Of course you will because it's what you want to hear. Those stats will help you sell real estate.

But those of us that actually know the city (then and now) prefer to tell it like it is.

On the overall, Providence is not safer now. Far from it. Fox Point, Federal Hill, and a small part of the West End (Armory) are the only areas in the city that have become safer. The rest of the city has either gotten worse (in some cases, way worse) or remained the same.

I'd like to also include a small part of Smith Hill (Promenade/Kinsley) as it's gotten so much nicer, but it wasn't an unsafe area in the past. It was rundown but not unsafe.

massnative said downtown has gotten safer. It has gotten nicer, much nicer, but I don't believe it's necessarily safer. The homeless population downtown is multiples of what it used to be. The Kennedy Plaza area is far worse now. It's difficult to compare, though, because downtown was pretty much a ghost town for quite a while. It wasn't exactly dangerous though. In the 70s, when downtown was hopping, it was unsafe. Very unsafe. If the comparison was the 70s to now, then yes downtown is safer. Comparing the 80s and 90s to now, though, I don't think so.

(Independent Man, ormari, and timberline can throw around all the stats they want...but none of them were even around back then.)

Old 10-01-2019, 05:50 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,521,965 times
They say that here all the time in the papers a cop explained it to me if the population doubles up crime does not -crime is down
Other factor if the cops back off from the chants of BLM crime stats go down no arrest no crime get it?

Old 10-01-2019, 06:23 PM

4,234 posts, read 1,690,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
They say that here all the time in the papers a cop explained it to me if the population doubles up crime does not -crime is down
Other factor if the cops back off from the chants of BLM crime stats go down no arrest no crime get it?
The only thing likely to double in Providence is the property tax.

Old 10-01-2019, 06:28 PM

4,234 posts, read 1,690,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
And the potholes.

Old 10-01-2019, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Have at it with fear mongering
Yeah, pointing out that cities have an incentive to keep crime rates low is fear mongering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island