Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2019, 05:59 PM

23,519 posts, read 18,678,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ormari View Post
Well, I was comparing us to averages. Don't you think you are cherry-picking the data a bit, Hollytree? I wasn't looking at Hartford or Albany, I was looking at the mean and median (median, because, according to site, some cities with abnormally high officer employment tend to inflate the mean). The link shows:

Jurisdiction Population:___________ #officers (mean)*_______ #officers (median)*
100,000 - 200,000_______________15.9_________________ 14.3
200,000 - 500,000_______________ 18.7_________________ 16.9
500,000________________________24.3_______________ __ 20.7

*numbers are normalized per 10,000 population

Providence population is on the order of 180,000.

Now, you can make some arguments about how we're ultra-compartmentalized and should include Central Falls/Cranston/Pawtucket in those numbers, for a fair comparison. And that's fine, but you'll have to run those numbers.

It's worth noting that the cities you chose are in the northeastern US, as of course are we. There could be some regional bias. There are lots of metrics one could look at to find out how efficiently our police force is operating. Crime stats along with this data is certainly one of them.

However, I am puzzling over your statement that you're asking for more police on the East Side, when the crime there is so very low.
One would have to know many things about the "peers" being compared to. For one are these all urban "major" cities? Providence cannot be compared to a Virginia Beach or Irvine, CA. It obviously requires more police per capita than those cities with similar populations but more suburban characteristics. Do those other "peers" also have other overlapping jurisdictions ie. county sheriffs departments to compliment the municipal PDs? Again, that could make them appear to have fewer than they do in reality. For those reasons, I think comparing Providence to those northeastern peer cities is the most realistic. And no, Providence does not have a high number of cops per capita. The idea that "it's one of the safer cities, so therefore it doesn't need more cops" is uninformed and a ludicrous notion. Tell that to woman who had to wait 20 minutes for the police to show up as her husband was beating her. "But the statistics"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Well, I live on the East Side and I don't want more police presence. I saw them while running coming up behind parked cars on Blackstone the other day and approaching people sitting in their cars, maybe looking for people sitting and smoking weed? Whatever. I was aghast at the wasteful look of it. Minor stuff like packages being stolen, or cars being broken into, are just that, minor. I'd rather have them in the few places where real crime may happen to deter it. I don't pay taxes for services for me, but for the community.
What makes you think they were smoking weed? Wasteful "look" of it??? Fact is you had zero clue what they were doing or why. But maybe you should call your city councilman, and remind them that there is no "real crime" on the East Side and that the police stay away.

HINT: Crime is everywhere. Even in Belmont. Even in tranquil Wayland Sq. Kills me how sheltered some are, sorry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2019, 06:19 PM

3,754 posts, read 2,689,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Loving the history!

redplum33, what's the verdict on the area between Broadway and Westminster St. (Spencer, Harkness St. etc.)? That's what I really think of along the lines of where Federal Hill has deteriorated more over the years.
I hadn't seen that post you quoted as I have that user on my ignore list and don't see any of their posts unless quoted. But if the reference to club shootings and "gangbangers from South Providence" is referencing the Club Seven and El Patio mess, I don't think any of the people arrested were from South Providence. I didn't follow the story closely, so I am not certain, but this Projo story says one was from Silver Lake, and one was from Washington Park. The five others were from other cities/towns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProJo
Janssye Toucet, 32, of 1775 Bicentennial Way, North Providence; and Tatiana Flores, 25, of 38 Marion Ave., Providence, face multiple assault, conspiracy and firearms charges related to both shootings.
The other five suspects face multiple assault, conspiracy, obstruction, and firearms charges.

The people charged include Garrido; Anthony Florian, 26, of 139 Pierce Ave., Warwick; Keven Restrepo, 28, of 578 Laurel Hill Ave., Cranston; Jonathan Garrido, 26, of 584 Plainfield St., Providence; and Nathan Geter, 28, of 167 Blackstone St., Woonsocket.
Quote:
You live there so would obviously know better, but there is a wide consensus claiming that you can get a cop to your house in 30 seconds on the East Side while in South Providence somebody literally has to die for a cop to be dispatched and that police presence there is virtually non-existent.
In general, most of the rest of the city feels that the East Side gets special privileges/service from all city departments. I hear it all the time, from all over the city. I don't think it is quite as bad as people say, but there is probably some truth to it. One area where it has come up quite a bit recently is about the nightclub issue, which is impacting the quality of life of immediate abutters in many neighborhoods. I have heard several residents complain that the clubs on Federal Hill, in the West End, Elmwood, South Providence, and Washington Park would never be allowed on the East Side. This seems to have become a problem under Mayor Elorza. That doesn't make these areas no-go zones, but there are concerns surrounding these clubs that the Mayor's administration either refuses to address or is impotent to resolve.

Old 10-02-2019, 06:34 PM

3,754 posts, read 2,689,069 times
Quote:
One would have to know many things about the "peers" being compared to. For one are these all urban "major" cities? Providence cannot be compared to a Virginia Beach or Irvine, CA. It obviously requires more police per capita than those cities with similar populations but more suburban characteristics. Do those other "peers" also have other overlapping jurisdictions ie. county sheriffs departments to compliment the municipal PDs? Again, that could make them appear to have fewer than they do in reality. For those reasons, I think comparing Providence to those northeastern peer cities is the most realistic. And no, Providence does not have a high number of cops per capita. The idea that "it's one of the safer cities, so therefore it doesn't need more cops" is uninformed and a ludicrous notion. Tell that to woman who had to wait 20 minutes for the police to show up as her husband was beating her. "But the statistics"...
I agree that a more in depth look would be required and suggested as much. And not to cherry pick, but naturally I looked at the numbers for Portland Oregon and Seattle since I know the cities. Both are urban cities. There is a Multnomah County Sheriff (Porltand) and King County Sheriff (Seattle) but they're not patrolling the streets of the cities.

Portland has 14.1 officers per 10k.
Seattle has 19.8 officers per 10k.

They're both much bigger cities, and both have higher violent crime rates per 100,000 than Providence according to the FBI statistics in Post #1.

Old 10-02-2019, 06:56 PM

23,519 posts, read 18,678,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ormari View Post
I agree that a more in depth look would be required and suggested as much. And not to cherry pick, but naturally I looked at the numbers for Portland Oregon and Seattle since I know the cities. Both are urban cities. There is a Multnomah County Sheriff (Porltand) and King County Sheriff (Seattle) but they're not patrolling the streets of the cities.

Portland has 14.1 officers per 10k.
Seattle has 19.8 officers per 10k.

They're both much bigger cities, and both have higher violent crime rates per 100,000 than Providence according to the FBI statistics in Post #1.
Portland is definitely severely understaffed, to the point of it becoming a crisis that has made national news.

https://www.ppavigil.org/authorized-...police-bureau/

Average response to a high priority incident is now 8 minutes. That is dangerous and unacceptable. Nothing really to do with Providence, just saying Portland can't be used as a model to measure up to. Both cities have their work cut out for them, but I doubt either have the money to fix it right now.

Old 10-03-2019, 04:37 AM

17,652 posts, read 9,168,053 times
At this time in 2018, there had been 9 homicides.

The current total for 2019 is 12.

I'm no math whiz but that doesn't sound like a decline.

Old 10-03-2019, 04:43 AM

8,001 posts, read 4,689,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post

No need to apologize for your math skills. A good Forum Crime Reporter will stay right on it. Only 4 homicides left!

Old 10-03-2019, 07:58 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
No need to apologize for your math skills. A good Forum Crime Reporter will stay right on it. Only 4 homicides left!
I have no idea what you're trying to say.

There have been 12 homicides in Providence in 2019. It has already surpassed last year's total of 11.

In other words, this thread title is misleading. It has increased, not declined.

Last edited by redplum33; 10-03-2019 at 08:21 PM..

Old 10-04-2019, 04:02 AM

Quote:
I have no idea what you're trying to say.
There have been 12 homicides in Providence in 2019. It has already surpassed last year's total of 11.
In other words, this thread title is misleading. It has increased, not declined.
The thread speaks to the decreased long term violent crime trend in Providence. The FBI takes the long view & doesn't wait, breathlessly, for each next murder tragedy to occur in the city.

Old 10-04-2019, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
The thread speaks to the decreased long term violent crime trend in Providence. The FBI takes the long view & doesn't wait, breathlessly, for each next murder tragedy to occur in the city.
The thread title states violent crime continues to decline (present tense). It declined in 2018.

The title is not only misleading but also incorrect.

(Still wondering what you meant by "Only 4 homicides left!")

Old 10-04-2019, 08:13 AM

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...-in-providence

Great news Providence!

"WJAR-TV reports that 819 violent crimes were reported in 2018, the LOWEST NUMBER ON RECORD".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island