Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2020, 12:51 PM

23,738 posts, read 18,846,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
Even the people in Valley Falls would likely use Route 295 via Diamond Hill (114) or Mendon (122) Road. That however isn't even relevant as the poster indicated they were looking at Lincoln or Cumberland north of route 295.
OK I missed the part about north of 295, but still there is no reason why anybody would go all the way up to 295 from Valley Falls unless it's late at night and you don't want to chance driving through Central Falls (insert "trigger pull" from Beastie Boy's "Paul Revere").
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2020, 01:10 PM

17,860 posts, read 9,297,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
Your detachment from RI is showing. No one living in Cumberland (especially in the north of the town) would ever choose to go through Providence to get to West Warwick. As any true Rhode Islander would know, the preferred route would be via Route 295 which completely avoids the city of Providence.
My detachment from RI? That's funny.

Last edited by CaseyB; 01-03-2020 at 01:30 PM.. Reason: off topic

Old 01-03-2020, 05:57 PM

8,029 posts, read 4,725,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South2RI View Post
Barrington and East Greenwich are not totally out of my affordability (although stretching it considering that i lived mostly in cheaper places). Barrington is certainly a little far and longer commute. EG and Cumberland has a more direct path. The only reason i was exploring and wanting to know more about Cumberland because it looks like there are more newer/spacious housing there. If there is a major difference is school quality, then i would not look into. However, from greatschool website, it seems like both have at least one school with higher test score data. So i was not afraid to look into both options.
The thing to understand about Rhode Island public schools is that a few are good, some are ok, most of the rest are mediocre or worse. By national comparisons, Barrington & East Greenwich are good. North Kingstown & Narragansett are ok. Some individual schools in Cumberland (and other towns) are considered good or ok, but mostly the system is mediocre. Find the right schools in any town and you'll be good or ok in that school. But, outside of Barrington & EG, you need to do research. Drill down on the specific school.

Yes, houses for the same money, are likely bigger, newer & cheaper in Cumberland than East Greenwich. And, when looking at your commute from West Warwick to Cumberland plan to use 295 rather than 95. It usually the quickest route.

Old 01-04-2020, 05:54 PM

1,726 posts, read 1,728,928 times
To someone whose lived in Georgia or North Carolina, a commute from Cumberland to West Warwick would be a piece of cake.

Why has nobody suggested Exeter or West Greenwich?

Old 01-04-2020, 06:02 PM

8,029 posts, read 4,725,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
To someone whose lived in Georgia or North Carolina, a commute from Cumberland to West Warwick would be a piece of cake.

Because the OP has indicated he's especially interested in good public education.

Old 01-04-2020, 10:45 PM

11 posts, read 4,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
The thing to understand about Rhode Island public schools is that a few are good, some are ok, most of the rest are mediocre or worse. By national comparisons, Barrington & East Greenwich are good. North Kingstown & Narragansett are ok. Some individual schools in Cumberland (and other towns) are considered good or ok, but mostly the system is mediocre. Find the right schools in any town and you'll be good or ok in that school. But, outside of Barrington & EG, you need to do research. Drill down on the specific school.

Yes, houses for the same money, are likely bigger, newer & cheaper in Cumberland than East Greenwich. And, when looking at your commute from West Warwick to Cumberland plan to use 295 rather than 95. It usually the quickest route.
Very helpful input and thank you very much. For schools, I will try to micro-manage. I am looking at great school site and finding a specific school at a given town. Then go to zillow to find houses. Your thoughts aout EG and barrington schools being generally better is a great point.

Considering the small size of the state, I think commute will not be bad around 295 as you said. However, other people suggested to avoid coming from Barrington and that could be too much. Need to explore more.

Old 01-04-2020, 10:48 PM

11 posts, read 4,068 times
One more question came to mind:

What do you all think about renting for a short period and looking for house later? What are the good apartment complexes or should renting a house be a better option? From online, there are not many renting options. It is sometimes tricky to buy while coming out of town and better to look around for few months to a year. What are your thoughts on this idea?

Old 01-04-2020, 11:51 PM

17,860 posts, read 9,297,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South2RI View Post
One more question came to mind:

What do you all think about renting for a short period and looking for house later? What are the good apartment complexes or should renting a house be a better option? From online, there are not many renting options. It is sometimes tricky to buy while coming out of town and better to look around for few months to a year. What are your thoughts on this idea?
It's like deja vu all over again.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/rhod...ps-newbie.html

Old 01-05-2020, 08:22 AM

9,323 posts, read 14,945,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post

The Op should consider Exeter or West Greenwich. Commuting from Cumberland would be pointless.

The reason you don't compare commutes in the south are threefold- winter driving, road conditions, and traffic. We recently drove I10 in Florida. It was an easy dream drive of three hours. No comparable road in RI.

Old 01-05-2020, 02:12 PM

8,504 posts, read 4,583,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
The Op should consider Exeter or West Greenwich.

Did you entirely miss the part about the OP being an Asian immigrant? I highly doubt this family would feel real comfortable in towns such as Exeter or West Greenwich given their demographics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island