Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2020, 10:02 PM

17,860 posts, read 9,291,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rach5 View Post
Has anybody seen these testing structures? https://turnto10.com/news/local/seek...ting-structure
Is it really a good idea to go into a tiny little space like that where, with virtual certainty, someone during the 15min before you had covid and tickled their nose, potentially causing a sneeze? Why not take the tests outside? In Asia, they disinfected testing rooms like that completely after every patient. Doubt that's done here.
Do people actually go in? There's a sign about self swabbing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2020, 10:32 PM

943 posts, read 412,584 times
On one of the pictures there is a side with "Patient Entrance". The other side is for the personnel.

Old 12-09-2020, 01:42 AM

24,573 posts, read 18,336,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Geoff, over 100 million US residents have a condition that could cause severe complications if they contract the virus. High blood pressure, diabetes, obesity, etc.

Also, understand that...

"As many as one in three people who recover from Covid have chronic complaints, including exhaustion and a racing heart, for months afterward. This includes people under 35 with no previous health conditions. Some survivors of Covid also show troubling signs that their body has turned on itself, with symptoms similar to those of lupus and rheumatoid arthritis."

and...

"In a study of more than 3,000 people, ages 18 to 34, who were hospitalized for Covid, 20 percent required intensive care and 3 percent died."

Source for quotes: ‘Natural Immunity’ From Covid Is Not Safer Than a Vaccine (New York Times)
“Could”.....

When it gets into a nursing home, it kills ~15%. That’s the worst case. Of that 100 million you’re throwing around, the majority are in the 99%+ survival category. It’s why the whole hoax thing gets so much traction. For most people, even in the higher risk category, they’re not even exhibiting severe symptoms.

Do I want to contract COVID-19? No. Would it kill me if I did? Probably not. What we don’t want to do is overload the 911 and hospital system. I’m more likely to need that system for “something else” than need it for COVID-19. Heart attack. Car crash. Whatever. I could die because I can’t get proper medical treatment.

Old 12-10-2020, 08:28 AM

9,326 posts, read 14,945,768 times
A good explanation of why RI is testing at high rates from Dr Raney:

https://www.providencejournal.com/st...es/6506012002/

Old 12-10-2020, 08:45 AM

8,029 posts, read 4,725,007 times
Looking forward to what the governor says (does) today. Her strategy so far has seemed to be based on behavioral wishful thinking rather than health science.

https://www.golocalprov.com/news/edi...testing-has-be

Old 12-10-2020, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
Looking forward to what the governor says (does) today. Her strategy so far has seemed to be based on behavioral wishful thinking rather than health science.

https://www.golocalprov.com/news/edi...testing-has-be
I don't think it's the gov's fault if some people continue to be stupid and have gatherings for the holidays. She has no control over what people do in their own dining rooms.

Old 12-10-2020, 09:39 AM

17,860 posts, read 9,291,314 times
None of this should come as a surprise. This is what happens when decisions are made based on manipulated data that is disguised as "science". It catches up to you.

Old 12-10-2020, 09:53 AM

8,029 posts, read 4,725,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
I don't think it's the gov's fault if some people continue to be stupid and have gatherings for the holidays. She has no control over what people do in their own dining rooms.
Then as the state currently with the highest infections per capita in the entire country, one is left to assume Rhode Island must have more "stupid" residents per capita than any other state in the union. I think not.

Old 12-10-2020, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
Then as the state currently with the highest infections per capita in the entire country, one is left to assume Rhode Island must have more "stupid" residents per capita than any other state in the union. I think not.
No, that is not the right conclusion. Did you read what Dr Raney said?

RIers are as stupid as in any other state- neither more nor less. Although, we may value family more.

If you read my link (and previous links) you will see that we have very high rates of testing compared to other states. That skews our numbers.

Not everyone goes to a dr or to the hospital. Some people don't even know they have covid until they get a pos test. Some have it and stay home and never get tested or reported. So, no numbers can be a perfect reflection.

I would love to see what rates Texas or Florida would have, for example, if they had our testing rate.

It seems to me that the data that really matters (to most of us for practical purposes) is:

1. number of deaths and who is dying (for example our nursing home deaths have been awful)
2. number in hospital on ventilators & hospital capacity and staffing
3. number of long haulers and permanently impaired (stats we don't even have yet)

Old 12-10-2020, 05:14 PM

4,234 posts, read 1,689,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
No, that is not the right conclusion. Did you read what Dr Raney said?

RIers are as stupid as in any other state- neither more nor less. Although, we may value family more.

If you read my link (and previous links) you will see that we have very high rates of testing compared to other states. That skews our numbers.

Not everyone goes to a dr or to the hospital. Some people don't even know they have covid until they get a pos test. Some have it and stay home and never get tested or reported. So, no numbers can be a perfect reflection.

I would love to see what rates Texas or Florida would have, for example, if they had our testing rate.

It seems to me that the data that really matters (to most of us for practical purposes) is:

1. number of deaths and who is dying (for example our nursing home deaths have been awful)
2. number in hospital on ventilators & hospital capacity and staffing
3. number of long haulers and permanently impaired (stats we don't even have yet)
Rhode Island has the highest Covid infection rate in the entire world. Apparently, only the populations of the Republic of Georgia and Serbia come close in their "value of family".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island