Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 08:46 AM

2,040 posts, read 3,999,185 times

Advertisements

The funny thing is I am pretty sure NY/NJ often get more snow than Rhody as well. Something about the way the we're situated I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2008, 07:34 AM

257 posts, read 1,335,808 times
If you want public transportation and walkable, then I'd stick to Providence, Pawtucket, East Providence or eastern Cranston. 1,100 for a two bedroom shouldn't be too hard to find here, even in a decent neighborhood. I'd budget atleast 150-200/month in the winter for heat just in case, and for A/C in the summer, maybe 50-100, depending on your preferences. A RIPTA bus pass is $45/month, but if you're disabled I think you get a discount and are eligible for paratransit service as well, so that will help you.

As far as getting around in RI, I think you may have some difficulty. Many roads around the city are not ADA compliant and do not have wheelchair accessible sidewalk curb ramps and such, unless they were recently redone in which case they are required to. Snow removal on sidewalks can be non-existent in some areas as well, though you can count on only 3-5 real snowstorms each year (this year we had maybe 4).

Old 04-30-2008, 09:51 AM

7 posts, read 19,163 times
Smile Disabled - Moving from Texas to RI

Actually, the problem may be solved!

I put an ad on Craigslist for "housing wanted," and was very explicit as to our situation and what we needed.

I received an email from a man who has a small house to rent - and he will build us a ramp and take care of all yard maintenance. House is all on one level and doorways are wide enough and bath/kitchen will accomodate our wheelchairs. The rent is within our budget and it is gas/electric AND includes washer/dryer. I called National Grid and the average gas for 2007 was 81.00 and electric was 33.00. Landlord pays water and trash pickup.

The house is 2/10 mi from bus stop, but we qualify to use paratransit in inclement weather.

Although the closest grocery is 2.2 mi there is frequent bus service to that location (no transfers) but even if we had to take a taxi ther it would only be about 8.00 each way.

Just the lower utility costs means I'll be saving over 200.00/mo from what I am paying here - add that to the availability of public transportation AND the fabulous "bundle" deal I can get from Verizon for home phone/cable/wireless internet/cell phone saves me *another* 250.00+ per month over Texas expenses.

I am pretty happy now!

Looking forward to joining ALL of you very nice folks in the small - but quite attractive - state of Rhode Island!

Old 04-30-2008, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProvGuy View Post
Snow removal on sidewalks can be non-existent in some areas as well, though you can count on only 3-5 real snowstorms each year (this year we had maybe 4).
3-5 Snowstorms a year? haha Maybe if you count every time it snows even a little! I've been here 4 and a half years and have never seen more than one or two blizzards a year. (Usually one that would actually qualiify as a real storm.)

This our biggest storm was only 8 inches! I think we maybe got about 20 inches all winter - Providence and southward that is.

Old 04-30-2008, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwirlyGirly View Post
Just the lower utility costs means I'll be saving over 200.00/mo from what I am paying here - add that to the availability of public transportation AND the fabulous "bundle" deal I can get from Verizon for home phone/cable/wireless internet/cell phone saves me *another* 250.00+ per month over Texas expenses.

I am pretty happy now!

Looking forward to joining ALL of you very nice folks in the small - but quite attractive - state of Rhode Island!
Just don't tell that to our conservative friends. They get kind of cranky when presented with positive facts about RI.

Old 04-30-2008, 11:54 AM

257 posts, read 1,335,808 times
By snowstorms I meant pretty much any accummulating snow at all. That's a storm to me!

Old 04-30-2008, 01:30 PM

9,299 posts, read 14,916,355 times
Red face Congratulations! Can you tell us

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwirlyGirly View Post
Actually, the problem may be solved!

I put an ad on Craigslist for "housing wanted," and was very explicit as to our situation and what we needed.

I received an email from a man who has a small house to rent - and he will build us a ramp and take care of all yard maintenance. House is all on one level and doorways are wide enough and bath/kitchen will accomodate our wheelchairs. The rent is within our budget and it is gas/electric AND includes washer/dryer. I called National Grid and the average gas for 2007 was 81.00 and electric was 33.00. Landlord pays water and trash pickup.

The house is 2/10 mi from bus stop, but we qualify to use paratransit in inclement weather.

what neighborhood the house is in?

Old 04-30-2008, 01:34 PM

7 posts, read 19,163 times
Default Disabled - Moving from Texas to RI

Near Highland Beach - LOVE the area. Nice family neighborhood.

Expect that within a couple of weeks I'll be posting questions such as:

Where's the best pizza?

Where's the best and least expensive steamers and lobster dinner?

LOL!

TwirlyGirly

Old 04-30-2008, 01:53 PM

Default Highland Beach???

what town??? never heard of it.... just curious....

Old 04-30-2008, 01:57 PM

Talking Oh never mind...

Near Rocky Point in Warwick....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island