Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 11:51 PM

32 posts, read 135,330 times

Advertisements

All i can say Is I was born and raised in northern RI and Im living in Houston Texas atm. I have a very nice two bedroom apartment for 600 not including heat electricity or water so that gets my rent about up to maybe 800 a month.. Not bad i did my reserch very cheap but U can also find nice apartments in RI including providence for 800 including heat.. economy sucks up there compared to Texas.. reason why I left. But I want to go back so I dont blame you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2008, 05:17 PM

7 posts, read 19,163 times
Question Disabled - Moving from Texas to RI - UPDATE, & question!

For all of you who took the time to respond to my initial questions and concerns about moving from Texas to RI last May.....

WE DID IT!

Here's an update:

We rented the house (sight unseen - except for photos!) offered to us by a gentleman responding to the "Housing Wanted" ad I'd placed on craigslist.

The house is PERFECT for us; all on one level, in a great family neighborhood (we can see the water!) located in Warwick, it is affordable, AND our electric and gas bills COMBINED are less than 1/3 of what I was paying for electric alone in Texas. We're right next to a park, and there are a lot of kids my daughter's age in the neighborhood - so she's making friends and *finally* experiencing a normal life. This was impossible in Texas due to the heat, no access to public transportation, and the average 367.00/month I was paying for electricity and 200.00-400.00/month for transportation (JUST for medical care) meant NOTHING was left over to even go to a movie now and then....

Our landlord is wonderful - he had a ramp built *before* we arrived, and he has been almost psychic in his ability to anticipate our needs and in fulfilling them - before we ask....(paved the gravel driveway, added a railing to the deck, etc).

We are now on a busline, and take frequent trips to downtown Providence to shop and enjoy other activities. We've also been approved for paratransit service that we can use during inclement weather.

The people we've met and gotten to know have been great, but I expected nothing less after the wonderful advice I received from the folks here before we made the move.

We've now been living here for five months, and I can say moving to RI has turned out to have been the best decision *for us,* and the result of the move on our everyday life has FAR exceeded my expectations.

Now, if someone could just point me in the direction of a pizza place in either Warwick or Providence that makes pizza similar to the pizza made at Pepe's in New Haven, my life will be complete!!!

Twirly Girly

Old 10-22-2008, 10:34 AM

12,874 posts, read 22,050,536 times
Congrat's on your move. I'm glad everything (so far) has been good for you and I hope you continue to enjoy it.

Two suggestions for Pizza (and there will be many from others, i promise you), even though I don't know Pepe's in New Haven. 1) Antonio's on Thayer St. (East Side). Fantastic, large pizzas (you can order by the slice) with a wide variety of specialties. and 2) in terms of gourmet pizza, Al Forno can't be beat (actually ranked number 1 by Maxim Magazine in 2008). I don't know what exactly you're looking for, but those two can't be beat. good luck!

Old 10-22-2008, 11:22 AM

1,150 posts, read 2,700,545 times
Twirly, welcome to Rhody. I hope you guys find the time to dress warmly, put on your wind-breakers, and explore some of the gorgeous boggy thickets, shorelines, and richly-scented forested hills of this beautiful state!

Old 10-22-2008, 01:38 PM

2,040 posts, read 3,999,185 times
Congrats! It's always refreshing to see someone who has moved here from out of State that actually appreciates it here. I'm with you. I moved from FL five years ago and wouldn't even dream of moving back.

I also agree that Antonio's on Thayer St. is fantastic pizza.

Here's to hoping your time in Rhode Island continues to be happily spent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island