Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2020, 09:02 PM

4,405 posts, read 3,197,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Just seeing this now.

https://tbdailynews.com/mother-of-al...ental-illness/

Mother Of Allie’s Donuts Owner Spends All Day Posting Pro-Police Memes While Son Makes Bizarre Video While Possibly High Or Suffering From Mental Illness
This is from JUNE.

I didn't go past the headline though; no reputable news site would publish such scurrilous speculation.

Allies Donuts is so yesterday. It's all about PVD and Knead Donuts these days. I never got the Allie's hype. Maybe its the only donut shop in South County?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2020, 11:40 PM

17,748 posts, read 9,202,314 times
Quote:
Just seeing this now.

https://tbdailynews.com/mother-of-al...ental-illness/

Mother Of Allie’s Donuts Owner Spends All Day Posting Pro-Police Memes While Son Makes Bizarre Video While Possibly High Or Suffering From Mental Illness
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsonik View Post
This is from JUNE.
And...?

Quote:
I didn't go past the headline though; no reputable news site would publish such scurrilous speculation.
It's TurtleBoy. Watch the video and then let us know if you still think it's speculation. I could only get through 3 minutes of it.

Quote:
Allies Donuts is so yesterday. It's all about PVD and Knead Donuts these days. I never got the Allie's hype. Maybe its the only donut shop in South County?
Allie's was an institution until very recently. And its downfall has nothing to do with PVD or Knead.

Last edited by redplum33; 09-01-2020 at 12:15 AM..

Old 09-01-2020, 05:18 AM

23,577 posts, read 18,722,077 times
Quote:
This is from JUNE.
Hence why I said "I missed it". Still a very telling video though.

Quote:
IDK TB is generally pretty on the mark...

Quote:
What does PROVIDENCE have to do with South County? Is there a Knead Donuts down that way now??? News to me...

Old 09-03-2020, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Hence why I said "I missed it". Still a very telling video though.

IDK TB is generally pretty on the mark...

What does PROVIDENCE have to do with South County? Is there a Knead Donuts down that way now??? News to me...

No respectable journalist would print that someone was high or insane without a confirming source. That headline screams yellow journalism.

Sorry, I didnt know I wasnt allowed to offer my opinion that Allies Donuts are subpar to others in the state. I guess I cant keep up with the rules here. ..

Yet you're allowed an opinion on Allies...from Maine? Go figure. Holy Donut kills Allies too!

Old 09-03-2020, 06:52 PM

Quote:
No respectable journalist would print that someone was high or insane without a confirming source. That headline screams yellow journalism.

Sorry, I didnt know I wasnt allowed to offer my opinion that Allies Donuts are subpar to others in the state. I guess I cant keep up with the rules here. ..

Yet you're allowed an opinion on Allies...from Maine? Go figure. Holy Donut kills Allies too!
TB is a blogger, not a news source. However, that video looks pretty legit to me, are you disputing its authenticity?

Now to refresh you...you never DID offer your opinion on who had better donuts, but claimed Knead and PVD has pushed Allie's aside as "the" RI donut institution when they do not in fact compete with each other. Providence and South County are entirely different areas. And where did I offer my opinion??? I never said Allie's had better donuts than those other places. I do personally think KNEAD is better, Holy Donut CERTAINLY is. Never heard of PVD until now. Stop being deliberately obtuse.

Old 09-03-2020, 06:54 PM

1,169 posts, read 751,328 times
Probably better for the police and military. Donuts are evil, evil things.

Old 09-05-2020, 01:01 PM

Quote:
TB is a blogger, not a news source. However, that video looks pretty legit to me, are you disputing its authenticity?

Now to refresh you...you never DID offer your opinion on who had better donuts, but claimed Knead and PVD has pushed Allie's aside as "the" RI donut institution when they do not in fact compete with each other. Providence and South County are entirely different areas. And where did I offer my opinion??? I never said Allie's had better donuts than those other places. I do personally think KNEAD is better, Holy Donut CERTAINLY is. Never heard of PVD until now. Stop being deliberately obtuse.
OMG, how is it possible that you've never heard of PVDonuts? You've been out of RI too long! Shocked you know Kneads but not them.

I didn't watch the video and don't have the medical background to declare someone mentally ill so I wont bother. I was just saying I don't get alk the Allies love/hype.

I don't know about "out of area" but I have friends from Plymouth who go to PVD for the donuts so isnt that the same as Allies and PVD? Just checked Instagram: 102k followers for PVDonuts, 30k for Allies. Considering the latter has been around for 50 more years, I'm giving it to PVDonuts. (Just checked Knead is at 37.2 and Holy at 45)

Is that other famous Maine place worth the visit? I can't think of the name, want to say it begins with a B and they have one in Scarborough?

Old 09-06-2020, 03:44 PM

17,748 posts, read 9,202,314 times
Quote:
I didn't watch the video and don't have the medical background to declare someone mentally ill so I wont bother.
One need not have a medical background to recognize that something is clearly off.

Old 09-06-2020, 03:49 PM

4,231 posts, read 1,676,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
One need not have a medical background to recognize that something is clearly off.
How can you tell with a Liberal?

Old 09-06-2020, 07:10 PM

Quote:
OMG, how is it possible that you've never heard of PVDonuts? You've been out of RI too long! Shocked you know Kneads but not them.

I didn't watch the video and don't have the medical background to declare someone mentally ill so I wont bother. I was just saying I don't get alk the Allies love/hype.

I don't know about "out of area" but I have friends from Plymouth who go to PVD for the donuts so isnt that the same as Allies and PVD? Just checked Instagram: 102k followers for PVDonuts, 30k for Allies. Considering the latter has been around for 50 more years, I'm giving it to PVDonuts. (Just checked Knead is at 37.2 and Holy at 45)

Is that other famous Maine place worth the visit? I can't think of the name, want to say it begins with a B and they have one in Scarborough?
Sorry, not really up on the local donut scene. On those occasions where I'm in and around Providence, it's typically in the evening or some time of day where I'm not exactly looking for a donut. Both of those places are pretty new. Only reason I tried Knead...a couple years ago dropping my brother off at the train station when, he missed the early train and had 45 minutes or so to kill before the next (and decided "why not..."). Definitely worth it, I just wouldn't see myself driving from the Boston area for instance if I didn't have some other reason to go to Providence. Any time I ever been to Allie's was probably on the way down to the beach or maybe way back when my uncle had a boat in Wickford. In any event, I just cannot envision a day where I would say "which will it be today Knead/PVD or Allie's?". Not on the same trip. Different areas, different crowds. But then again, I also don't size up a donut shop by number of Instagram followers, so what do I know.

Not sure what other Maine place you speak of. Holy Donut now has a location in Scarborough right off the highway, also has a drive-thru which remained open while the two Portland locations were closed. I heard Tony's in Portland is good, but I am so partial to Holy that I tend to stick with that when I'm around and haven't (yet) felt the desire to try anywhere else. In the Bangor area they have Gosselin's, which I thought was meh.

Last edited by massnative71; 09-06-2020 at 07:27 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island