Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2020, 08:21 AM

1,726 posts, read 1,722,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Bert, I just looked over your random street views. Virtually every one can be replicated in some town in RI. You even included an ugly shopping strip that reminded me of Bald Hill Rd!

I think your opinion is skewed by the fact of where you lived in RI- believe it was NP or Johnston and I believe you were heavily Catholic influenced??? Yikes- that would impact one's outlook!

It is true that housing in RI is often old and the whole state is not always as clean as it could be- litter wise, etc
but parts are still old New England industrial and that is what you get. Other parts of the state are ocean view paradise,
and some very bucolic. Just depends on what where you are and what neighborhood you live in. (Kind of like everywhere else in this country you know).
Holly, unlike most other posters on the Rhode Island forum, I am true Rhode Island native. Not only was I born and raised in the state, all of my parents, grandparents and even some of my great- and great-great-grandparents were, too. Therefore, my lived experiences in the state hold considerable weight and should not be dismissed, regardless of what Rhode Island towns I previously lived in or how many years I have lived out of state.

And where do you think most Rhode Island natives live? Hint: It's not East Greenwich, Jamestown or the East Side of Providence. Most Rhode Island natives live in working-class cities and towns that have seen better days, such as Johnston, North Providence, Pawtucket and Warwick among others. If I am not mistaken, one-sixth of Rhode Island's population lives in the city of Providence, and 60% of Rhode Islanders live in Providence County. That's not to mention that Rhode Island is the most urbanized and second-most densely populated state in the entire country.

So, as I mentioned further upthread and will reinforce again, most Rhode Islanders live in post-apocalyptic urban and suburban dead zones. And the people you see walking around in some of these cities and towns, even those that do not have particularly high crime rates, appear as if they have been left in the dust. In Rhode Island, I observe a lot of white people who look like they've had hard lives walking the streets in most areas of the state.

Also, all of Rhode Island is heavily influenced by Catholicism. As recently as 2000, approximately 65% of the state identified as Roman Catholic. Now, that figure has decreased over the years, but still, the vast majority of Rhode Islanders are Roman Catholic or were raised as such, not just residents of Johnston or North Providence. What about all the Irish people in Barrington and Narragansett or the Portuguese people in Bristol and Warren? Do you think they're Assemblies of God? What a joke.

Last edited by Bert_from_back_East; 12-19-2020 at 08:31 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2020, 09:45 AM

23,577 posts, read 18,722,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Bert, help me understand what point you're trying to make with those street views. I'm not seeing anything all that impressive.

No Catholic churches in sight!

Old 12-24-2020, 07:41 AM

9,294 posts, read 14,908,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
Holly, unlike most other posters on the Rhode Island forum, I am true Rhode Island native. Not only was I born and raised in the state, all of my parents, grandparents and even some of my great- and great-great-grandparents were, too. Therefore, my lived experiences in the state hold considerable weight and should not be dismissed, regardless of what Rhode Island towns I previously lived in or how many years I have lived out of state.

And where do you think most Rhode Island natives live? Hint: It's not East Greenwich, Jamestown or the East Side of Providence. Most Rhode Island natives live in working-class cities and towns that have seen better days, such as Johnston, North Providence, Pawtucket and Warwick among others. If I am not mistaken, one-sixth of Rhode Island's population lives in the city of Providence, and 60% of Rhode Islanders live in Providence County. That's not to mention that Rhode Island is the most urbanized and second-most densely populated state in the entire country.

So, as I mentioned further upthread and will reinforce again, most Rhode Islanders live in post-apocalyptic urban and suburban dead zones. And the people you see walking around in some of these cities and towns, even those that do not have particularly high crime rates, appear as if they have been left in the dust. In Rhode Island, I observe a lot of white people who look like they've had hard lives walking the streets in most areas of the state.

Also, all of Rhode Island is heavily influenced by Catholicism. As recently as 2000, approximately 65% of the state identified as Roman Catholic. Now, that figure has decreased over the years, but still, the vast majority of Rhode Islanders are Roman Catholic or were raised as such, not just residents of Johnston or North Providence. What about all the Irish people in Barrington and Narragansett or the Portuguese people in Bristol and Warren? Do you think they're Assemblies of God? What a joke.
Like I said, it depends on the town. There aren't even a ton of Catholic churches left around. You seem to want to paint the entire state with one brush because that was your own experience when you say "all of Rhode Island is heavily influenced by Catholicism".

So I just don't see the mighty Catholic influence you keep talking about. So many Catholics now are lapsed and the percentage of atheists in the US is ever rising. My own area is about 30+% (?)Jewish. The Catholic influence may be here in certain towns, but I just don't think it's to the extent you make it out to be.

Old 12-24-2020, 09:07 AM

18 posts, read 10,877 times
Downtown Providence during covid is quiet , but during normal times we have a wonderful city. Providence is pretty hip with great dining, great places to walk and the arts are wonderful. Wayland Sq., East Side, Fox Point, North End, Elmhurst are all walkable or 10 minutes driving from downtown.

Old 12-24-2020, 09:30 AM

7,817 posts, read 2,901,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
So, as I mentioned further upthread and will reinforce again, most Rhode Islanders live in post-apocalyptic urban and suburban dead zones.

The moment you lost even the slightest whiff of credibility, forever and always.

Seriously, what are you smoking?

Old 12-24-2020, 10:30 AM

4,231 posts, read 1,676,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhodyRepub View Post
The moment you lost even the slightest whiff of credibility, forever and always.

Seriously, what are you smoking?
And you lost yours with your description of "innocent" Rhode Islanders enjoying an "infrastructure renaissance" amidst the "perfect climate". Not to mention your iron clad "guarantee" of a "Big T" re-election. Rhode Island is one of the slowest growing states in the nation, both economically and demographically, proving simply that most Americans don't share your rosy view. Not a great place to run out of gas.

Old 12-24-2020, 01:14 PM

Dude, it's Christmas Eve. Give it a rest.

Just don't call your Rhode Island ex. Esp. after you've been drinking.

Old 12-24-2020, 01:19 PM

Despite pandemic, RI sees record number of new businesses started in 2020

https://www.wpri.com/target-12/despi...arted-in-2020/

Old 12-24-2020, 04:43 PM

4,231 posts, read 1,676,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhodyRepub View Post
Despite pandemic, RI sees record number of new businesses started in 2020

https://www.wpri.com/target-12/despi...arted-in-2020/
Yes of course. Nothing jump starts a failing economy quite like "daycares and cleaning companies". And URI labor expert Edward Mazze cautions that many of the the new businesses are likely "nothing more than a front to keep someone busy". He adds further that he's been busy fielding calls from those interested in starting a business, "mostly from their homes". Y'see the kind of business that you need, the kind that any state needs, to fuel REAL economic growth won't be coming to Rhode Island any time soon. The tiny state has a big problem. It's ranked dead last for business climate out of 50 states. Factors cited such as sky high taxes, crumbling infrastructue, a stagnant economy and an underskilled workforce are absolute kryptonite to any business looking for a home. The difference between you and the CEOs that you so desperately need is that their gas tanks are full. Why would they stop in Rhode Island? And I almost forgot, Merry Christmas!

Last edited by PureBoston; 12-24-2020 at 05:20 PM..

Old 12-25-2020, 09:14 AM

Merry Christmas

https://turnto10.com/news/local/jet-...gansett-waters

Last edited by RhodyRepub; 12-25-2020 at 09:22 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island