Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2021, 07:31 AM

24,573 posts, read 18,336,806 times

Advertisements

For “unique dining”, at the high end is the Little Moss in Padanaram. Farm to table. Real chefs. Small portion dining at locally higher prices. They also own the Farm & Coast across the street with good breakfast/lunch/coffee fare. Again, upscale for the area.

We eat at Bayside in Westport the most. It’s always been very reliable. We often combine it with a walk on the Allen’s Pond trails across the street owned by Massachusetts Audubon. You walk out on the beach and back inland at the salt water pond.

In New Bedford, Antonio’s is the best known Portuguese restaurant. It’s Formica tables and very basic service but the food is good. Coggeshall Street is sketchy after dark but it’s fine for dinner hours. That’s unique to the area.

Fathoms on the Fairhaven Bridge is a pretty good seafood place with a covered deck looking at the harbor. The Black Whale on the New Bedford waterfront is good. Bayside and the Back Eddy in Westport are good options for seafood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2021, 07:33 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,041,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I’ve ridden my bicycle on it dozens of times. It’s totally safe. You’re not buying heroin in Weld Square after dark. You’re on a well traveled pedestrian and bicycle walkway. One of our rides is the coastal route to Fort Phoenix in Fairhaven and then to Mattapoisett on the rail trail. West Rodney French, Fort Taber, and East Rodney French are pretty scenic. Cisco Brewery at the old Davy’s Locker site is opening on Wednesday so there is food/cocktails on that route, now. Steve Silverstein, the Not Your Average Joe’s founder, is running it. He also owns the Black Whale restaurant on the waterfront.

I like this ride too. I can't imagine what a person make feel unsafe about. Greater Black Back Gulls?

Old 06-28-2021, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I like this ride too. I can't imagine what a person make feel unsafe about. Greater Black Back Gulls?
You might walk past a family speaking Portuguese or Spanish. Quite shocking.

Old 06-28-2021, 07:44 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,041,955 times
Quote:
You might walk past a family speaking Portuguese or Spanish. Quite shocking.

Ah, the derelicts. Got it.

Old 06-28-2021, 09:30 AM

Most people visiting New Bedford would pick up the walkway by Palmer Island. I’m around there all the time since Fisherman’s Market a block from there is the good fish market in town. I’m at the beach looking across at West Rodney French Blvd and Fort Taber. It looks nothing like the urban streetviews you put up. It’s single family homes on the inland side of the road and walkway, bike path, and beach on the water side.

Old 06-28-2021, 09:37 AM

23,738 posts, read 18,846,573 times
Quote:
Most people visiting New Bedford would pick up the walkway by Palmer Island. I’m around there all the time since Fisherman’s Market a block from there is the good fish market in town. I’m at the beach looking across at West Rodney French Blvd and Fort Taber. It looks nothing like the urban streetviews you put up. It’s single family homes on the inland side of the road and walkway, bike path, and beach on the water side.

The end by Fort Tabor and is worlds apart from the Cove Rd. section we were talking about before, as far as the surrounding neighborhood is concerned.

Edit: And even so, can you honestly say (with a straight face) that this would be the best way to spend an afternoon on this short stay in the area??? There is just so much more to see and do (including some of your other ideas).

Last edited by massnative71; 06-28-2021 at 10:07 AM..

Old 06-28-2021, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
The end by Fort Tabor and is worlds apart from the Cove Rd. section we were talking about before, as far as the surrounding neighborhood is concerned.

Edit: And even so, can you honestly say (with a straight face) that this would be the best way to spend an afternoon on this short stay in the area??? There is just so much more to see and do (including some of your other ideas).
Me? Nah. I’d suggest doing the cobblestone waterfront part of New Bedford and then take a drive along the Farm Coast. Fort Taber via East Rodney French. West Rodney French and Cove Road to Dartmouth Street/Padanaram. Then over the bridge, left onto Smith Neck Road. Little River Road. Potomska Road/Rock O’Dundee to Russells Mills Village. Horseneck Road to Bayside and Allen’s Pond for a walk. Then Gooseberry Neck, past the state beach, up 88 for a light. Left onto Drift Road. Left onto Main Road to Westport Point. There are a bunch of places for a nice walk along that route. Dartmouth has 10 square miles of land trust and conservation land. Westport has a bunch more.

Old 06-28-2021, 10:39 AM

1,549 posts, read 3,059,957 times
One area often overlooked is south of New Bedford in Dartmouth. It is a village named Padanaram. A small coastal village that surprises most who come across it.

Old 06-28-2021, 06:20 PM

23,738 posts, read 18,846,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp775 View Post
The End Zone on Coggeshall Street has amazing Portuguese style fish and seafood in an unassuming family restaurant/sports bar setting, although it isn’t a particularly scenic neighborhood.

With all due respect, MP, the information you provided seems to be outdated.

On 4/17/2020, David L from Bristol wrote: "Just ordered the baked stuffed scallops, they were dry, the stuffing was like eating sand from Death Valley. I will no longer go there or order from there. I don't know if it's a different owner but the food used to be good. There's plenty of good restaurants in the area to order from rather than waste my money at the End Zone."

On 1/18/2020, Joe J from Mattapoisett wrote: "I have to update this review used to come here 2x a week. I won't ever return to this establishment has it gone downhill in 4 years wow. I have gotten so much bad food here in the past 2 years it's crazy. It's so hit or miss and I still came back 3 strikes your out. And it's been 6-10 strikes since I was such a fan of this restaurant restaurant. They changed cooks bartenders and wait staff. I have to say these are some of the worst bartenders in the city (FACT) Food is mediocre at best. Today from the best in the city it's almost the worst." and "The old man needs to return."

On 3/27/2019, Amanda G from Wareham wrote: "Not the same consistency as before!!!! Chowda taste like fish!! Fish undercooked!! No one even made things right. Second chance before I left review!!!!! Father come back!!!!!!"

On 3/17/2019, John S from Boston wrote: "ordered a $17 Portuguese steak...it was so salty that we left it untouched. Not sure how they process the steak but it had almost a cured meat type of texture. Not a fan. We left the whole steak untouched." and "I left and will not be back. Locally there are many competition for good Portuguese steak so the competition is fierce. You have to win and maintain patrons by quality of the food and service. Today they failed both."

On 1/20/2019, Melissa C from Fairhaven wrote: "clam chowder tasted like rotten fish, kale soup tasted off.. been going here for years & normally love the clam chowder & Kale soup & usually have a friendly waitress. Told the waitress the clam chowder was fishy & she said that's how it's supposed to taste lol I will not be returning to this establishment or recommending it to anyway."

On 8/20/2018, Mr A from New Bedford wrote: "So I ordered the pork Alentejana and I swear it was off the charts salty salty salty. It tasted like they used ocean water to make this dish. If they dump salt in all there dishes then I would never eat hear again. Just a warning to anyone who is on a strict low sodium diet. Don't get this dish they will dump massive amounts of salt causing you to end up in the emergency room."

https://www.yelp.com/biz/endzone-spo..._by=rating_asc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island