Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2022, 08:22 AM

7,817 posts, read 2,902,655 times

Advertisements

Foulkes promises single term as governor if school test scores don't improve

Quote:
In a campaign ad set to begin airing Wednesday, Democrat Helena Foulkes says, "If our kids aren’t back on track by the end of my term, I won't seek reelection. Politicians make promises. Leaders deliver on them."

Asked what education metrics she would use to gauge whether she meets the mark to seek a potential second term, Foulkes replied, “I would be looking at the RICAS scores. We’ve looked at those over the last three years. That’s as long as we’ve been doing RICAS testing. They peaked in 2019. They’ve gone way down in 2021. So I’d be committing to get us higher than they were in 2019.”

RICAS test scores in math showed a drop from 30% of students being proficient in 2019 to just 20% in 2021.

https://turnto10.com/politics/rhode-...-decision-2022

Looks like a bid to get noticed in a crowded Democratic Primary field. But there are a lot of undecideds.

Time will tell if this makes her more competitive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2022, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhodyRepub View Post
I'm quite sure this has nothing to do with the backlash brewing, where we are seeing the potential for the GOP to pick up seats in the General Assembly, as well as possibly picking off the Governor's seat and District 2 House rep.

It's back to emergency COVID voting! The regime must be maintained at all costs.

https://justthenews.com/government/s...-eliminates-id

And don't even start with the "voter fraud isn't real" bologna.

That's aged about as well as Joe Biden's brain.

I'm sure this insulting monstrosity will pass the State Senate.

Will it be enough to entirely shut out the GOP? I dunno.

But that certainly won't stop the Dems from trying!

McKee signs 'Let RI Vote Act' legislation

https://turnto10.com/news/local/mcke...ct-legislation

And there it is.

Old 06-08-2022, 08:29 PM

23,577 posts, read 18,730,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhodyRepub View Post
McKee signs 'Let RI Vote Act' legislation

https://turnto10.com/news/local/mcke...ct-legislation

And there it is.

I just can't see how eliminating accountability will benefit the voters, and make all count equally.

Old 06-09-2022, 08:56 AM

The day the voting died

Quote:
It is all over now. Governor McKee signed into law, new lax voting rules that eliminate any chance for a fair election. Rhode Island will have new voting laws completely out of step with Massachusetts and Connecticut in a bid to take the state into a full Banana republic. Anyone can register to vote (without ID), people can vote 20 days before an election and campaigns can ballot harvest as much as they want, which means no limits on campaign workers collecting votes. Can Illegals vote? Sure, why not? Nobody checks if illegals vote. Can people under 18 vote? Sure, because nobody checks. Campaign workers can register people to vote, collect their ballots and drop them in the drop boxes. Remember, if they can cheat in the Census, they certainly can cheat in an election.

https://depetro.com/2022/06/the-day-the-voting-died/

Old 06-09-2022, 10:39 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMfVH43AP9Y

Old 06-09-2022, 01:38 PM

3,875 posts, read 4,700,158 times
Default 2022 Election..

In the interest of fair play & a variety of viewpoints, here from 2020 and 2021 are a couple of pieces with different perspectives than the right wing sources with which this thread has to this point been loaded.

Following them is a 3rd & new link from the governor's office dated June 8th, 2022 that speaks to the intent and also the specifics of the legislation he signed and put into law.

Of significance, one section of the law requires the Secretary of State to update the voting list at least 4 times per year under the heading of registration list maintenance. And that, my friends is a WELCOME STEP into the 21st century in terms of maintenance and list integrity!

https://publicintegrity.org/politics...d-law-barrier/

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/rhode...b068effec4aae2

https://governor.ri.gov/press-releas...et-ri-vote-act

Last edited by atler8; 06-09-2022 at 01:38 PM.. Reason: blank lines eliminated

Old 06-09-2022, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
In the interest of fair play & a variety of viewpoints, here from 2020 and 2021 are a couple of pieces with different perspectives than the right wing sources with which this thread has to this point been loaded.

Following them is a 3rd & new link from the governor's office dated June 8th, 2022 that speaks to the intent and also the specifics of the legislation he signed and put into law.

Of significance, one section of the law requires the Secretary of State to update the voting list at least 4 times per year under the heading of registration list maintenance. And that, my friends is a WELCOME STEP into the 21st century in terms of maintenance and list integrity!

Well golly gee willickers shucks! A press release from the Governor's office and HuffPo! Can't beat that.

So do you deny anything my right leaning sources stated: That mail in ballots can be sent in with no chain of custody whatsoever? (No notary, no witness to who actually submitted it.)

Do you deny that people can register to vote without an ID to prove who they are?

Do you deny that this ushers in a new era of ballot harvesting?

If so, I'll show you the language in the bill that proves it - but folks' eyes do glaze over at this stuff.

If not, then are you defending it? Because it sure seems like it.

I'll let you in on a little secret: Republicans have had it with your cheating. If you want to make ballot dumps legal, it's going to have to be something we duplicate - even if we don't want to.

Of course, the Dems control the count, because they control the government.

And this just got passed. In a year shaping up to be a historically Red Wave event.

Hhhmmm....nothing suspicious about that!

I truly hope we are able to overcome this obviously desperate move to try and suppress change in this state. You may be OK with it, but when most people can take time out of their busy lives to learn what is actually going on - they sure as hell aren't.

Old 06-09-2022, 02:47 PM

Buried on page 6 under "Eligiblity for Mail In Ballots"

Quote:
4) An elector chooses to vote by mail for any reason
Oh I see, so actually - after having listed all sorts of reasons why someone must vote by mail, actually they can just choose to for, ahem, "any reason".

Section 1, also page 6 , describes precisely that a witness or notary is no longer a requirement.

Page 20 outlines the availability of drop boxes (IE ballot harvesting machines.)

The Governor has explicitly stated this makes the changes to voting in 2020 permanent.

Unbelievably, the link to the bill is not a secure connection (or is it all too believable?), but feel free to peruse at your own risk.

http://webserver.rilin.state.ri.us/B...t22/S2007A.pdf

Old 06-09-2022, 02:51 PM

3,875 posts, read 4,700,158 times
I'll note that my main objective here is to provide some balance to what has been a totally one-sided thread discussion of the issues in Rhode Island voting and the newly-signed voting legislation.
To this point that one-sided viewpoint presented here is a situation that I don't care in that it seems as something akin to how the old Soviet regimes operated via their use of Pravda or Tass, i.e. only one view allowed.

I know that you don't like that I've interrupted & challenged your unfettered stream here but that's the way it can play out in a free and public forum.

Somehow you overlooked that I linked in nonpartisan material from PublicIntegrity.org.

As to your sources used here say, you & I have no proof as to whether they are telling the truth or giving out opinion or misinformation disguised as "truth". Not that anything like that has ever happened online before. /sn

A major item I love about the changes just signed into law is that the use of drop boxes has been made a permanent option for Rhode Island voters to use. Pandemic or not, it has been a Godsend way of convenience for voters to more safely cast their ballots.
As a matter of fact, the GOP controlled Georgia government in 2005 when they instituted the use of such drop boxes in that state for the first time.
Sadly, when Democratic voters for the first time ever made WIDER USE THAN DID REPUBLICANS of that voting option in 2020 amidst the Covid pandemic, the use of drop boxes for voting in Georgia fell out of favor with Republican legislators.

As seen in the link below, the method they had put into Georgia law in 2005 may eventually be fully done away with by them in Georgia. And that is a move of rank hypocrisy!

The GOP in Georgia seem to be afraid of making it easy or convenient for voters to cast their ballots because as it happens too many Democrats may now choose to use that option! Apparently the GOP in Rhode Island operates with similar fears as their motivation.

We can hope that such inane & morally illogical legislation never take it's place as law in Rhode Island!

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/geo...ns-2021-12-13/

Last edited by atler8; 06-09-2022 at 02:52 PM.. Reason: eliminated blank lines

Old 06-09-2022, 03:25 PM

5,117 posts, read 2,675,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
The GOP in Georgia seem to be afraid of making it easy or convenient for voters to cast their ballots because as it happens too many Democrats may now choose to use that option! Apparently the GOP in Rhode Island operates with similar fears as their motivation.

Too many Democrats or too many zombies who otherwise couldn't be bothered with voting and have no clue as to what or whom they are voting for? Voting for Constitutional officers or ballot initiatives is not the same as voting for the trustees of a credit union and a LOT more important.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island