Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2022, 07:46 AM

7,817 posts, read 2,902,655 times

Advertisements

A couple of notable updates.

Gorbea wants RI to hike corporate tax rate; McKee, Foulkes balk

Quote:

Asked for specifics, Gorbea campaign manager Dana Walton told 12 News that Gorbea wants to increase the state’s tax rate on corporate income from 7% to 8%, which would match the rate in Massachusetts. Her campaign estimates the change would generate roughly $39 million a year in additional state revenue.

McKee’s campaign manager, Brexton Isaacs, called the secretary of state’s tax proposals “extremely risky.” He contrasted her ideas with McKee’s pending package of tax cuts in the state budget, including a speedier phaseout of the municipal car tax and a tax credit for some parents.

Foulkes also rejected the idea, telling 12 News, “I haven’t seen any details on this from the secretary, but it sounds like a proposal to drive jobs out of Rhode Island.” She contrasted the tax hike idea with her proposals to give a $500 tax cut to middle-income families and spend more on K-12 education.

On the other side of the aisle, leading Republican gubernatorial candidate Ashley Kalus condemned Gorbea’s proposal, arguing it would worsen the inflation problem because companies would pass the increased costs along to consumers.

“These sorts of failed policies from career politicians like Nellie Gorbea have made Rhode Island the 46th-worst state in the country to do business, and this move will all but guarantee we are once again dead last,” Kalus said. “Our state should be fostering an economic climate that attracts businesses and development, not implementing policies that will drive people, jobs, and opportunities out.”
https://www.wpri.com/news/elections/...-foulkes-balk/

Gorbea’s New Ad Claims “I Don’t Come From a Well Connected Family” - Father Is Major Influence in PR

Quote:
Nellie Gorbea, a Democratic candidate for governor of Rhode Island has launched a new TV campaign in which she claims “I don’t come from a well-connected family.”

Her parents, however, are an influential powerful couple in Puerto Rico. Her father is an energy company executive and served on the board of a leading bank. He was the subject of a major lawsuit by the U.S. federal government as part of that bank's failure.

Gorbea’s father was a donor to the campaigns of George W. Bush in 2000 and the Bush-Cheney campaign in 2004, donating a total of $3,000 to the Bush campaigns.

He made those donations when he was President of Lord Electric Company, according to Federal Election Commission filings.

He has given tens of thousands of dollars in campaign donations — from Alaska to Rhode Island, including donations to Republican Alaskan Congressman Don Young [who died in March of 2022] and to former Rhode Island Democratic Governor Gian Raimondo.
https://www.golocalprov.com/politics...y-father-is-ma
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2022, 08:10 AM

8,031 posts, read 4,702,129 times
First, Nellie Gorbea is a nice person. She's trying to distinguish herself from the yawn inspiring pack. Will this tax plan work? Probably not. That she comes from an established Puerto Rican family doesn't make her "connected". Certainly not in Rhode Island & in the Rhode Island use of the word "connected".

Old 06-23-2022, 10:05 AM

4,231 posts, read 1,677,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
First, Nellie Gorbea is a nice person. She's trying to distinguish herself from the yawn inspiring pack. Will this tax plan work? Probably not. That she comes from an established Puerto Rican family doesn't make her "connected". Certainly not in Rhode Island & in the Rhode Island use of the word "connected".
Nice person? So was Jimmy Carter. Distinguishing herself? How, by driving investment away with higher taxes? Yawn inspiring? Sound governance is rarely exciting. With one of the highest tax burdens in the country, the last thing in the world that your government needs is more revenue. With the worst business climate in America, this nut wants to make it worse still? You can't attract a lemonade stand as it is. Cut your taxes, it's the only way to growth and prosperity. One may think it paradoxical, but it only seems that way. Whoa Nellie!

Old 06-23-2022, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureBoston View Post
Nice person? So was Jimmy Carter. Distinguishing herself? How, by driving investment away with higher taxes? Yawn inspiring? Sound governance is rarely exciting. With one of the highest tax burdens in the country, the last thing in the world that your government needs is more revenue. With the worst business climate in America, this nut wants to make it worse still? You can't attract a lemonade stand as it is. Cut your taxes, it's the only way to growth and prosperity. One may think it paradoxical, but it only seems that way. Whoa Nellie!

Indeed.

Cutting taxes is one thing that Republicans (and Blue Dog Dems) have always gotten right.

What the Bush/Romney Party got wrong, however, was their embrace of cheap overseas/inter-border (often illegal) labor and goods.

The new MAGA Party combines a business friendly tax environment with a labor friendly no illegals, Made In America one two punch.

It's the way of the future.

Old 06-23-2022, 10:50 AM

8,031 posts, read 4,702,129 times
MAGA Party? You don't even pretend to be republicans anymore? If you do end up running things, put in a word for me. Make the end quick & merciful.

Old 06-23-2022, 10:59 AM

3,875 posts, read 4,700,158 times
Default 2022 Election

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhodyRepub View Post
I just did discuss it.

I discussed how your Party is endangering it while pretending to be its biggest defenders, and the public ain't buying it.

Too bad, so sad.
No. you did not discuss it but in fact, you instead recited a series of talking points. And that is indeed "too bad".

As I've often said to my friends and family, if you don't EVER STEP OUTSIDE of your own media comfort zone so as to see what else is going on, how can you possibly hope to really know what is true and what is not true.
I often watch other channels and read opinions from various sources. I'm not at all afraid to do so and/or to challenge my own views in so doing.

There are fact check organizations online that can be a help in ascertaining what is a fact and what is not a fact. The most conservative person and the most liberal person in my office both fully agreed on the use of such sources and they agreed on the top 3 ones to be used.

There is a whole heck of a lot of difference between an opinion and a fact.

As Daniel Patrick Moynihan said many years ago, "Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but everyone is not entitled to their own facts." (pardon if I missed in a word or away from the exact quote.)

Old 06-23-2022, 10:59 AM

23,598 posts, read 18,730,403 times
MAGA policies (cutting taxes while simultaneously going on spending like drunken sailors), will not work at the state level. A state cannot print money or borrow from an unlimited line of credit courtesy of China. You guys need somebody who is fiscally responsible and not afraid to make difficult decisions. Basically a Lincoln Almond. Where are those leaders today?

Old 06-23-2022, 11:01 AM

3,875 posts, read 4,700,158 times
Default 2022 Election

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhodyRepub View Post
Indeed.

Cutting taxes is one thing that Republicans (and Blue Dog Dems) have always gotten right.

What the Bush/Romney Party got wrong, however, was their embrace of cheap overseas/inter-border (often illegal) labor and goods.

The new MAGA Party combines a business friendly tax environment with a labor friendly no illegals, Made In America one two punch.

It's the way of the future.
Yeah, gotta love those red MAGA hats with the "Made in China" label inside the top!

What a joke that was as perpetrated by trump on the maga folks!

Old 06-23-2022, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
Make the end quick & merciful.

I could never do that to you

But MAGA does need to differentiate from the old crows in the Senate.

At least 14 of em by my last count...

Old 06-23-2022, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post

As I've often said to my friends and family, if you don't EVER STEP OUTSIDE of your own media comfort zone so as to see what else is going on, how can you possibly hope to really know what is true and what is not true.

I used to be a Democrat, so I literally had to do exactly what you just described.

I'm sorry you don't approve of the conclusions I drew after being forcibly locked down, having the govt attempt to force medical procedures on me I did not want, all while cheering on rioting and looting.

On ignore you go

Wow, up to four of you now.

Guess I have no patience for pee wees outside the Political Forum
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island