Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2022, 08:45 PM

3,811 posts, read 4,694,212 times

Advertisements

I'll be stopping in Rhode Island next week and was hoping to spend anywhere from 3-6 hours exploring the city. If I had fun I might even stay the night but just no idea how much to do considering it's a small area.

I want to check out the cliff walk. I heard Beavertail State Park is nice however not sure that is worth checking out if I'm only in town for those amount of hours.

I love taking pictures. I have no problem walking. I'll actually have my bicycle with me so I could venture off on that.

Any suggestions on things to check out? Won't have time to really go to any museums or anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2022, 08:14 AM

3,933 posts, read 2,195,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
I'll be stopping in Rhode Island next week and was hoping to spend anywhere from 3-6 hours exploring the city. If I had fun I might even stay the night but just no idea how much to do considering it's a small area.

I want to check out the cliff walk. I heard Beavertail State Park is nice however not sure that is worth checking out if I'm only in town for those amount of hours.

I love taking pictures. I have no problem walking. I'll actually have my bicycle with me so I could venture off on that.

Any suggestions on things to check out? Won't have time to really go to any museums or anything.
Your post is funny.
Hope, that you realize that RI is a state - with 39 cities and towns.
Your concern seems to be that it is not “enough to do” in “a small area” in 3-6 hours that you could spare for RI?
Sorry, but it is hilarious.

Not sure which “city” you are going to be “exploring”

You have mentioned a Cliff Walk. It is in Newport.
Beavertail State Park is in Jamestown.

Providence - is the largest city and RI capital with the vibrant life.
Plus other locales

RI is the smallest state by territory- but a lot of different things to do besides museums or”anything” that you don’t have time for.
What is “anything”?

Where are you “stopping in Rhode Island”?
Unless it is in the rest area - off of I-95 - you will have plenty of things to do, see and “explore”.
How fast is your walking?
Cliff Walk alone could take 3 hours if you are taking photos, taking in the views on the benches, boulders, etc

Last edited by L00k4ward; 05-14-2022 at 08:35 AM..

Old 05-15-2022, 06:21 AM

9,294 posts, read 14,908,083 times
Perhaps the OP is confusing RI with Long Island in NY? When I lived out of state, that was a common mistake.

They don't teach geography in school any more and people think paper maps are obsolete since they do everything on a tiny phone and so don't understand scale.

However, if the OP is in Newport, there's plenty to see and do in Newport- a few hours would be barely enough to get a good glimpse.

Old 05-15-2022, 09:23 AM

23,577 posts, read 18,722,077 times
Yes it's kind of a hard question to answer, not knowing the timing or what "city" OP will be visiting. If you are in Newport, perhaps walk the cliff walk for an hour or or two, grab lunch, and then head over to Beavertail for a couple more hours. Maybe squeeze in a drive around Bellevue/Ocean Drive.

^And I have no idea where the Long Island, NY idea came from, all of these places discussed are in Rhode Island.

Old 05-15-2022, 09:30 AM

5,116 posts, read 2,672,758 times
Long Island doesn't have "one city" either. It's a huge peninsula with many cities, towns, and villages. It's bigger than RI.

Old 05-15-2022, 09:47 AM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
Long Island doesn't have "one city" either. It's a huge peninsula with many cities, towns, and villages. It's bigger than RI.
Or it's a big island with many cities, towns, and villages.

Old 05-15-2022, 09:47 AM

9,294 posts, read 14,908,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
Why people confuse the two is beyond me yet I have heard people say it several times- possibly because they see LI as a small area. I'm not saying that's the OP's problem, I'm saying it happens more frequently than one would think.

Last edited by Hollytree; 05-15-2022 at 09:57 AM..

Old 05-15-2022, 10:00 AM

5,116 posts, read 2,672,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Or it's a big island with many cities, towns, and villages.
See: United States vs Maine (1985)

Old 05-15-2022, 10:05 AM

23,577 posts, read 18,722,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
I'm not saying that's the OP's problem,

Except you did, or at least suggested it. Let's try our best to answer the OP's question, rather than cast doubt on their geographical knowledge.

Old 05-21-2022, 05:14 AM

5,217 posts, read 6,147,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post

OP, as others have mentioned we need a bit more info in order to answer your questions. RI is an extremely small state but not compact enough to see some the things you mentioned in the time frame you have. You mentioned you have a bicycle so I take it you might not be flying in.....................and on that note the airport is in Warwick not Providence so a quick trip downtown will chew up a bit of time.

See the link below for some of our quirky RI facts and welcome to little Rhody.

https://www.onlyinyourstate.com/rhod...d/so-small-ri/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island