Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2022, 10:54 PM

23,549 posts, read 18,700,598 times

Advertisements

^ormari, I don't think you realize how fresh and recent the mob's grip on the city was. The chaos and disorder in the streets that followed their decline, was quite noticeable and shocking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2022, 10:59 PM

7,817 posts, read 2,899,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
The chaos and disorder in the streets that followed their decline, was quite noticeable and shocking.

But not as noticeable and shocking as your decline

Old 07-10-2022, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ormari View Post
You aren't educated enough to admit when you're wrong, so we'll leave it at that. But I will point out that neither of us were around to experience the mob days. If you passed through here then, it was as a transient or tourist, same as now. And that is a far cry from having lived the experience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2S2Zt4rcZzo

For one you know squat about my my education level or relationship with the city of Providence, and two when I'm wrong I'm wrong and more that fast at admitting so. I just don't foresee that ever happening in a conversation with you.

Old 07-10-2022, 11:18 PM

3,785 posts, read 2,694,775 times
Quote:
I don't think you realize how fresh and recent the mob's grip on the city was. The chaos and disorder in the streets that followed their decline, was quite noticeable and shocking.
And I don't think you realize that you aren't a reliable source for recounting what you had for breakfast, let alone anything about Providence, past or present. I doubt any astute observer believes you were here to witness any of it. I certainly don't. And in the unlikely event you were passing through here at the time, you would have been too occupied, too holed up, with your hands pawing a box of Munchkins. Which is probably what you had for breakfast.

Old 07-10-2022, 11:21 PM

7,817 posts, read 2,899,917 times
Quote:
And I don't think you realize that you aren't a reliable source for recounting what you had for breakfast, let alone anything about Providence, past or present. I doubt any astute observer believes you were here to witness any of it. I certainly don't. And in the unlikely event you were passing through here at the time, you would have been too occupied, too holed up, with your hands pawing a box of Munchkins. Which is probably what you had for breakfast.

Ouch. It does hurt - don't it.

Old 07-10-2022, 11:31 PM

Quote:

The fact is that I'm far more qualified to discuss the state of Providence then vs. now than you are, and your constant gaslighting in the absence of facts or counterarguments is failing to further whatever point it is you are trying to make here. I'll return once you actually HAVE something worthwhile to contribute to the topic, which is the thuggish nightclub scene in Providence.

Old 07-13-2022, 10:55 PM

4,387 posts, read 3,193,342 times
Quote:
^ormari, I don't think you realize how fresh and recent the mob's grip on the city was. The chaos and disorder in the streets that followed their decline, was quite noticeable and shocking.
So you didn't consider it chaos and disorder when mobsters were killing each other in the streets?

Weird

Old 07-13-2022, 11:02 PM

Quote:
No it was not. Are you saying business owners stopped becoming victims? Just ask our friend James Mark about that. But it was a better city back then, in most respects. It's too bad you weren't around to experience it. But I guess good thing that you got to grow up in Portland before that town when to $hits.
So you're saying he would have preferred playing "protection" money for the privilege of running his restaurant. You do get ludicrous when it comes to the mob. I wonder why.

Old 07-14-2022, 04:47 AM

5,106 posts, read 2,666,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsonik View Post
So you didn't consider it chaos and disorder when mobsters were killing each other in the streets?

Weird
Very rarely in the streets and mainly among other organized criminals. It was certainly a negative social factor that emanated from a historical cultural shift, but hardly social disorder or public chaos in the streets. In fact, its presence deterred much street crime.

Old 07-14-2022, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
Very rarely in the streets and mainly among other organized criminals. It was certainly a negative social factor that emanated from a historical cultural shift, but hardly social disorder or public chaos in the streets. In fact, its presence deterred much street crime.
If not in the streets, where? I remember restaurants, barbershop, parking lots, and yes, on the streets.

Most of the violence nowadays is the same thing, gangster vs gangster - though in both eras there was always the chance of a gangster offing a rando who cut him off or cheated with his girl - remember Ronald McElroy?

People need to stop pretending one is more honorable than the other. The romantic nostalgia for the Mafia is just weird.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island