Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2024, 01:13 PM

8,029 posts, read 4,742,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
The ghetto people stick out like a sore thumb in that area.
How do I tell who are the "ghetto people"? Go ahead, elaborate on your dog whistle. Please be specific, so I can keenly understand how superior you must feel, and why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2024, 01:34 PM

18,059 posts, read 9,413,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsonik View Post
redplum will insist his fears are reality whether or not they are backed by facts.
Quote:
You said that despite the lack of data to back you up, Reservoir "feels" bad to you so there must be a mistake in the data.
This wasn't about fears, and I don't think I said Reservoir feels bad to me.

Not sure exactly how I worded it, but I do think it's misleading (and wrong) to group Reservoir in with the other areas on massnative's map that show little to no activity.

Old 02-09-2024, 01:37 PM

Quote:
The ghetto people stick out like a sore thumb in that area.
Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
How do I tell who are the "ghetto people"? Go ahead, elaborate on your dog whistle. Please be specific, so I can keenly understand how superior you must feel, and why.
My god. This is why we can't have an honest discussion here.

Old 02-09-2024, 02:15 PM

4,473 posts, read 3,242,671 times
Quote:

Not sure exactly how I worded it, but I do think it's misleading (and wrong) to group Reservoir in with the other areas on massnative's map that show little to no activity.
You've made it clear that facts don't matter.

On that note I'll end my ill advised attempt to engage honestly with you, and leave you to your peace and quiet in the crime thread

Old 02-09-2024, 02:56 PM

3,863 posts, read 2,747,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
I'm not disagreeing about the safety of the area. I agree it's safe. I also agree that it's most likely that the people involved are not students.

But so often on this forum, if a crime happens anywhere near an area that you both have deemed "BAD!" (Edgewood, Elmwood Historic Districts, Reservoir, parts of Johnston, etc.), you use that proximity to trash the nearby area (we hear about "spillover" all the time). Obviously there's no invisible wall. So how is it that people in this area of Elmhurst can be "safe" when it's literally a stone's throw from "nasty" Smith Hill where "every single street is bad?" Obviously there's not really an invisible wall, so how is proximity not a concern here when it is in so many other neighborhoods and nearby towns?
The difference of course is that she lives in Elmhurst.

I have spent quite a lot of time where this incident occurred. Other than encountering a small number crazy residents within a stone’s throw of this incident, I find it to be a safe area. I don’t feel like the level of safety changes dramatically once one enters Smith Hill, which I also find to be a safe area.

Old 02-09-2024, 03:19 PM

Quote:

Quote:
You've made it clear that facts don't matter.

On that note I'll end my ill advised attempt to engage honestly with you, and leave you to your peace and quiet in the crime thread
Facts don't matter? What facts? massnative's maps are a great resource but they don't always tell the whole story and they only include very specific crimes. Nobody knowledgeable and/or sane would ever consider Reservoir among the safest areas in Providence.

Engage honestly? You've lied through your teeth non-stop about Reservoir in your attempt to lump it in with the safest areas in Providence. Not to mention misquoting me repeatedly.

Old 02-09-2024, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ormari View Post
The difference of course is that she lives in Elmhurst.

I have spent quite a lot of time where this incident occurred. Other than encountering a small number crazy residents within a stone’s throw of this incident, I find it to be a safe area. I don’t feel like the level of safety changes dramatically once one enters Smith Hill, which I also find to be a safe area.
Reluctant post #223. And a bad take, as usual.

Old 02-09-2024, 03:26 PM

Quote:
I didn't say you did. I said it.

You said that despite the lack of data to back you up, Reservoir "feels" bad to you so there must be a mistake in the data. I was saying how the unfamiliar can feel scary. That would be Olneyville for me.
Reservoir is very safe. I don’t know why Olneyville feels scary to you, other than you apparently don’t spend time there, but I don’t find it scary at all.

Old 02-09-2024, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Reluctant post #223. And a bad take, as usual.
Well you’re consistently wrong, so if you find it a bad take, the opposite is likely true.

Old 02-09-2024, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Definitely. And the perception of safety matters. Who cares what the stats say if you don't feel safe somewhere?

But redplum (perhaps inadvertently) is making a point many of us have made repeatedly here - This singular incident doesn't change the fact that for most people, the area where it occurred is pretty safe. It's highly unlikely that the shooter and the victim are not known to each other and the odds of something similar happening to a random person in the same area are quite slim. This is true in most places.
Personally, I think stats should guide one’s feelings about safety. Fear is an emotion not necessarily rooted in a rational thinking process. If after exhausting that process, one’s fear still gets the better of them, then so be it.

But I agree that your larger point is right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island