Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2023, 10:32 AM

23,772 posts, read 18,890,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
sandsonik, I've always thought that "ambient noise" was code for "black people".

I had thought the same thing.

Last edited by massnative71; 09-09-2023 at 11:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2023, 10:36 AM

4,236 posts, read 1,694,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
I don't think anyone is bashing public service. Certainly not me. But, it's hard for even the best qualified police & educators to overcome mediocre or poor leadership. For all of his faults, Mayor Cianci was a leader who understood police were instrumental in providing a better urban quality of life for residents. One they would choose above others, rather than simply accept for lack of options. And, it wasn't necessarily only about fighting crime.
Your diplomacy is misguided in this instance. "Lazy", "do nothing", "bastar*s"? You're either in agreement with these assessments or you're not. And now it's being put forth that it should be allowable to terminate a public servant for an alleged offense that they haven't yet been convicted of. In the United States of America.

Last edited by PureBoston; 09-09-2023 at 11:03 AM..

Old 09-09-2023, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
You have a tendency to jump to conclusions- always wrong conclusions.

I don't see how else you could have personal experience with the Providence Police Academy, if you did not attend or work there.

Old 09-09-2023, 11:02 AM

4,236 posts, read 1,694,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
I don't see how else you could have personal experience with the Providence Police Academy, if you did not attend or work there.
She doesn't know the first thing about it. Think about the source. Her sector fell through the cracks and doesn't get patrolled by police. Except to throw gum wrappers on her lawn.

Old 09-09-2023, 11:02 AM

4,449 posts, read 3,226,297 times
Quote:
sandsonik, I've always thought that "ambient noise" was code for "black people".
So when you complain of noise, you actually mean noise.

When others complain of noise, it means they're racist.

Even when you're the one who felt it necessary to specify that it was "Hispanic music", it's the other person who's racist.

Completely logical, can't understand why everyone missed that./s

Old 09-09-2023, 11:06 AM

4,449 posts, read 3,226,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
The personal experience she related was seeing policemen littering, not stopping people for running red lights and not doing anything in response to theft reports.

She extrapolated that the Police Academy must play a part in producing these poor cops. If that's not it, what is it? Poor leadership and corrupt culture in the force?

Old 09-09-2023, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsonik View Post
The personal experience she related was seeing policemen littering, not stopping people for running red lights and not doing anything in response to theft reports.

She extrapolated that the Police Academy must play a part in producing these poor cops. If that's not it, what is it? Poor leadership and corrupt culture in the force?

I agree that there has been a cultural problem within the PPD as well as a staffing problem, although I do question some of this poster's anecdotes. I have not however, heard any allegations that those issues originate in the academy. Holly clearly has an axe to grind, as she has banged that drum for years about how Providence shouldn't have its own police academy. She has yet to provide any evidence or explain how she has arrived at that conclusion.

Old 09-09-2023, 11:23 AM

8,029 posts, read 4,731,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PureBoston View Post
Your diplomacy is misguided in this instance. "Lazy", "do nothing", "bastar*s"?
Such broad brush derogatory comments about any profession are reckless. But, especially about those who, by oath, risk life & limb to protect us. They should be accorded a special respect. However, it's those rare bad apples which do special dishonor to the most honorable amongst us.

Old 09-09-2023, 11:55 AM

17,910 posts, read 9,333,332 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsonik View Post
So when you complain of noise, you actually mean noise.

When others complain of noise, it means they're racist.

Even when you're the one who felt it necessary to specify that it was "Hispanic music", it's the other person who's racist.

Completely logical, can't understand why everyone missed that./s
You should stop trying to cause trouble. Hispanic music is simply music that is sung in Spanish.

Old 09-09-2023, 01:04 PM

17,910 posts, read 9,333,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Thanks as usual for the voice of reason.

You live in an area that has very little crime relative to the rest of the city. The PPD is short staffed and the attention needs to be focused elsewhere. That's the reality.

And then you have people like sandsonik who want to defund the police. Imagine if they got their way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island