Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2009, 05:08 PM

450 posts, read 1,905,475 times

Advertisements

I know I posted something somewhat similar a few months ago, but my focus has changed from suburban to urban.

Are there any new construction or gut rehabs in Providence? With a lot of allergies, second hand homes can be a problem, but I've come to realize I prefer an urban or semi-urban environment to sprawling, semi-rural suburbs. I seem to recall hearing there are several gut rehabs or tear downs in Providence, but as I'm on the road and limited to a smart phone, I can't find the reference. Either single family homes or Townhomes are of interest.

Alternatvely, condos would be an option, but with severe cigarette smoke allergies, drifting smoke would be a problem. I know there are scattered condo buildings in some cities where all units are smoke-free, are there any in Providence?

I'm in Chicago right now, and it's a serious consideration to say the least. While I like Chicago, there is almost nothing new or rehabbed under $750k in a reasonable area. How does Providence compare in cost?

Thanks as always!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2009, 05:21 AM

Location: The State of Rhode Island, Presented by Dunkin' Donuts
115 posts, read 377,504 times
Frankly, I'd stay in Chicago -- the ratio of income to housing costs was much better there. That is, you can earn almost as much as you'd make in Boston, but housing is a lot cheaper.

If I'd known 10 years ago what I know now, my wife and I would still be in Chicago (that is, Chicagoland -- we lived in Highland Park, which wasn't my favorite place, but it was at least convenient).

Urb

Old 02-03-2009, 03:15 PM

9,287 posts, read 14,899,623 times
Very few new homes in Providence since we are renown for our historic architecture and preservation. Townhouses are also not a style typically built here, although there are some on Benefit St and on Broadway- historic ones.

There are a number of new condo complexes like this one- link below- (300-500K) and plenty of rehabbed historical condos.
Don't know of any smoke free- you'd have to ask on a case by case basis I expect.

Providence Luxury Condominiums for Sale. Real Estate in Providence, RI

Direct message me if you need a referral.

Old 02-04-2009, 11:40 PM

450 posts, read 1,905,475 times
Thanks for the replies! Everyone seems to warn on income potential in RI, but I fear that's no different anywhere these days.

The Chicago burbs are definitely cheaper than Boston burbs, but I'm not sure there is a big differenc in comparable urban neighborhoods. For Providence, it just seems there is little new construction, and an unrehabbed second hand home is just too risky allergy wise in most cases (pets, smoke, etc.

Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island