Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 10:11 AM

18 posts, read 38,954 times

Advertisements

Which is a safer city? Providence, RI or Worcester, MA? and WHY?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2009, 11:07 AM

12,825 posts, read 21,993,461 times
It's too broad of a question as it really depends on where in each city you are. Crime in both cities is absolutely dependent on the neighborhood.

According to City-Data's statistics, Providence and Worcester have both shown a decline in crime since 1999 and the crime rates in both cities are nearly identical ( Worcester at a 413 and Providence at a 414 according to city-data's scale). Worcester has shown a steadier drop while Providence's drop has been more dramatic. Either way, as of 2007, the cities both had a nearly identical crime rate ( Data: Prov. //www.city-data.com/city/Provid...de-Island.html Worcester: //www.city-data.com/city/Worces...achusetts.html ).

In any case, it's tough to tell. Both cities have seen vast improvement over the last decade though.

Old 03-20-2009, 01:33 PM

1,126 posts, read 4,561,398 times
really depends on neighborhoods

Old 03-21-2009, 07:40 AM

2,040 posts, read 3,996,651 times
I would say that Providence has a major advantage over Worcester for one simple reason: Worcester's crime intrudes onto Main Street in a far more prevalent manner.

In was on Main Street in Worcester a couple of years ago and witnessed a guy mainlining. I have also seen several drug deals go down before my very eyes. And there is an almost tangible anger I felt in the streets of that city that isn't so obvious in Providence.

Sure, Providence has some rough areas, but as long as you use common sense you normally don't run into them. In Worcester, you could be in a "mainstream" area and run into (or at least be privy to) some real trouble.

Personally, I can't stand Worcester - despite the fact that (like nearly all cities) it does have some nice areas.

Old 08-05-2009, 12:50 AM

1 posts, read 12,069 times
Well I have never been to Providence, but Im from worcester. Im only 16 and i watched people get stabbed and shot in my old neighborhood. my sister almost got shot she was 8 and i was 6. Ive seen so much in worcester it scares people from other towns when i talk about it. Also my friends dad was shot down, one my friends was like 10 or 12 was stabbed and killed at the neighborhood park. And yea it all depends on the areas. Vernon hill was bad in the 90s but is still bad, like last month a group of college kids were drinkin in the woods and a group of kids from a gang jumped them all and stabbed a couple i know because one guy walked in my friends work at 2 in the morning bleeding out of his stomach. Great brooke valley to this place is the worst place in my opinion in worcester. Great brooke valley u can be killed literally because u dress to prepy or ur skin color. Alot of things happen here. Oh and a guy lost his life infront of his daughter because he got into an argument with someone over rent. The guy killed him with a machette as the daughter watched it all.

"In was on Main Street in Worcester a couple of years ago and witnessed a guy mainlining. I have also seen several drug deals go down before my very eyes. And there is an almost tangible anger I felt in the streets of that city that isn't so obvious in Providence."

Thats all you saw?Drug deals? honestly when im walking round i can see more than 20 drug deals in like 10-30 minutes, if u pay good attention to things ud see alot more. some more apparent than others. but ive seen drugs be given to people in like a soda can, an empty pack of cigarrettes, in reading glasses casings, even when u see someone give another guy a handshake they could be giving drugs. some get sneaky with it, others dont care and will do it infront of anyone. Very lucky thats all u saw tho. A guy last year around september was shot 3 times infront of hundreds of people on a main street, its funny its the second time in the same spot for him it happened. and yea i agree i see drug deals everyday. its because the people here dont care about anything. It dont really matter where u are in worcester things can happen to you. U can either see something bad or be apart of it. it will happen if u spend enough time here.

I also made this account because i was searchin threw statistics for worcster. It has gotten much better. I can see that.

but honestly u wont be able to tell which city is better to live in until u go and see for your self for a good amount of time.

Old 08-05-2009, 06:54 AM

394 posts, read 1,397,414 times
Kevin- Thank you for sharing your experience, its always good to hear real life stories. No matter your background, you appear to have a bright future.

Like the poster said it's too a broad a question to answer why. Providence just isn't as down and out as Worcester. Crime always increases in the summer; in RI people city with less means can pile in a car and go to the beach or get out their fishing poles. In Worcester they may be more apt to stay in their quintuple-deckers. I know that's a big generalization, sometimes little things can make the difference.

Old 08-05-2009, 11:25 AM

Location: The State of Rhode Island, Presented by Dunkin' Donuts
115 posts, read 377,407 times
I went to Clark back in the '80s, and at that time, there was a certain amount of street crime -- when I went down the street to Mickey D's at night, I'd leave my wallet in my dorm room and just take a double-sawbuck for mugger money; never needed it, but I knew some who did.

You want some tough neighborhoods, though, take a ride out to Holyoke sometime....

Urb

Old 08-21-2009, 08:57 PM

15 posts, read 67,528 times
Default True to a degree

I have family from Worcester and have been to the bad parts. I have also seen the bad parts of Providence. Honestly, I felt more intimidated in South Providence than anywhere in Worcester. It seemed more "ghetto". Downtown Providence is alot nicer than Downtown Worcester. What I mean is that it is cleaner and has more of an upscale appeal. However, the poverty rate is far higher in Providence and if you look at statistics in the past Providence has a significantly higher crime rate. Alot of this is concentrated in South Providence and the West End. Great development has taken place in Downtown Providence over the past 30 years but many neighborhoods on the south and west side of the city have fallen into dispare. Downtown Worcester has the disadvantage of having rough neighborhoods in the vicinity of Downtown. Although I do agree that presently both cities are very close in terms of crime. Providence has come along way.....more so than Worcester.

I would choose to live in Providence because their is more to do and it is closer to the ocean. Of course I would prefer to live downtown Providence or on Federal Hill versus the South Side or anywhere else in the city. Worcester has very nice areas and is planning on more downtown projects to help stimulate business. Hopefully, this will help you determine what you like better.

Old 08-26-2009, 05:35 AM

12,825 posts, read 21,993,461 times
^ you wouldn't live anywhere on the expansive East Side of Prov?

Old 08-26-2009, 07:59 AM

394 posts, read 1,397,414 times
THe East Side isn't that expensive. THere are decent 1 beds right off Benefit for under 750 including parking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island