Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 07:06 AM

8,029 posts, read 4,725,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleFernHill View Post
pearlygirl911, I'm wondering if you're still in the Armory District. Looking to move that way, & wondering if the areas surrounding your "oasis" have improved? I hear good things, but have teens who will want to be wandering around a bit....
Well, don't know how pearly girl is doing, but I can tell you at the end of 2014 the Armory District is doing just fine. The Armory/Broadway part of PVD have become the coolest, hippest part of the city. Real Estate values have held or risen and the area is now the definition of "desirable" for Millennials to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2014, 05:10 PM

1,586 posts, read 2,152,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
Well, don't know how pearly girl is doing, but I can tell you at the end of 2014 the Armory District is doing just fine. The Armory/Broadway part of PVD have become the coolest, hippest part of the city. Real Estate values have held or risen and the area is now the definition of "desirable" for Millennials to live.
I think I've got a unique perspective on this because I made my first real visit to Providence about four years ago, then didn't come back for three years before moving to Rhode Island a year ago. I visited the Armory District on that first trip, and my impression was that the place had potential but wasn't there yet. I didn't think I'd be ready to live there. When I came back, it was obvious it had arrived. If I were at a different place in my life (i.e. not looking for decent public schools), I wouldn't hesitate at all to live there now, and I love spending time there.

Old 11-24-2014, 09:14 PM

1,549 posts, read 3,059,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
For a long time the Armory District was an oasis in a sea of questionable areas. In the last 4 years the improvements on Broadway have now filtered toward and to Westminister Street which is the northern border of the Armory District. New restaurants, retail stores and bars are beginning to line Westminster Street. Not a place for families but yes the Millennials thrive there.

Old 11-25-2014, 05:53 AM

9,323 posts, read 14,945,768 times
That is really good to hear. That section of the city has so many houses just waiting to be restored to their former glory. It has been a case in point, though, of what running a freeway through residential districts and dividing a city in two can do and how long it can take to repair the damage.

Old 12-01-2014, 03:53 AM

6,404 posts, read 6,298,147 times
^ I agree. Beautiful houses there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island