Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-20-2009, 07:55 PM
 
6 posts, read 63,646 times
Reputation: 18

Advertisements

My husband and i are looking at a nice loft style apartment in the west end, armory district. We are wondering if the neighborhood is safe. We are breaking our lease actually to move out out of the neighborhood that we currently live in do to ongoing crime (thefts, people getting jumped) and noise (pitbulls fighting and barking...people screaming at 5am.) We don't want to get trapped in a similar situation. So we are looking for some opinions... anyone live there? Or considered living there? We walked around the neighborhood (during the day) and it seemed nice enough, and even asked a few residents and they seemed to have good things to say, but as i understand a few blocks in either direction things start to get shifty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-21-2009, 06:11 AM
 
Location: The State of Rhode Island, Presented by Dunkin' Donuts
115 posts, read 377,598 times
Reputation: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by pearlygirl911 View Post
My husband and i are looking at a nice loft style apartment in the west end, armory district. We are wondering if the neighborhood is safe. We are breaking our lease actually to move out out of the neighborhood that we currently live in do to ongoing crime (thefts, people getting jumped) and noise (pitbulls fighting and barking...people screaming at 5am.) We don't want to get trapped in a similar situation. So we are looking for some opinions... anyone live there? Or considered living there? We walked around the neighborhood (during the day) and it seemed nice enough, and even asked a few residents and they seemed to have good things to say, but as i understand a few blocks in either direction things start to get shifty.
What kind of rent is the landlord asking for? At the risk of being labeled an East Side Snob, there are tons of apartments for rent over here, and a lot of them aren't that expensive. With the rental vacancy rate at (probably) an all-time high, this is a great time to be looking for an apartment.

Urb

PS -- I worked at West Side Community Center earlier this year. Not a great neighborhood, to say the least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2009, 09:18 AM
 
6 posts, read 63,646 times
Reputation: 18
950 everything included....which i'd never find on the East side. I did check out a couple of apartments over there, but for the money we can afford to pay the quality was not great. I've popped into the neighborhood twice and so far what i've come to realize is that the area is very street-by-street. A few streets over is definitely getting into unsavory tastes but the streets with names of trees (Oak, Sycamore..) seem to be diverse and normal people going about their day. I even cruised through at night to see if maybe things were different and i couldn't find a soul or a sound for blocks around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2009, 09:55 AM
 
Location: Cranston
2,040 posts, read 3,998,298 times
Reputation: 429
Just curious, where do you live currently? It may help provide context.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2009, 10:09 AM
 
Location: new england
202 posts, read 1,075,522 times
Reputation: 129
What about checking out cranston it's more peaceful
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2009, 02:09 PM
 
6 posts, read 63,646 times
Reputation: 18
we currently live in north providence. it would be a nice neighborhood if it weren't for the neighbors immediately surrounding us. it was deceptively peaceful when we went searching for apartments initially. our reason for choosing providence and not something further south like cranston is because my husband works up 496 practically to worcester and already commutes an hour...otherwise we wouldve lived in Newport my hometown
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2009, 02:27 PM
 
6 posts, read 63,646 times
Reputation: 18
Also... bear in mind that we're not afraid of diversity. I find that people on this forum label neighborhoods "shady" just because there are alot of black and latino residents. I'm black, and a working professional. I'm more worried about people that are noisy and argumentative color regardless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2009, 03:35 PM
 
102 posts, read 393,423 times
Reputation: 64
There are some very nice homes on Chapin, Parade, Messer, etc. But there is a lot of violence, Cranston St., Alhea, Waverly. Knifings, shootings. I wouldn't live within a mile of that if you gave me the house!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2009, 04:41 PM
 
Location: Cranston
2,040 posts, read 3,998,298 times
Reputation: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by pearlygirl911 View Post
we currently live in north providence. it would be a nice neighborhood if it weren't for the neighbors immediately surrounding us. it was deceptively peaceful when we went searching for apartments initially. our reason for choosing providence and not something further south like cranston is because my husband works up 496 practically to worcester and already commutes an hour...otherwise we wouldve lived in Newport my hometown
Honestly, I find it hard to believe that any part of North Providence would be worse than the Armory neighborhood. (Not that I'm saying the Armory neighborhood is horrendous, I'm not the one to ask.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2009, 11:22 PM
 
6 posts, read 63,646 times
Reputation: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnrboy View Post
Honestly, I find it hard to believe that any part of North Providence would be worse than the Armory neighborhood. (Not that I'm saying the Armory neighborhood is horrendous, I'm not the one to ask.)
chyeaa thats what i thought before i moved there. in the past 2 weeks theres been 1 stabbing on my street and 2 robberies. everyone around here thinks theyre a gangster... i find it ironic that the realtors we rented from tediously checked our BCI's only for us to find out later that we're just about the only people on the block without a felony.. i kid you none
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top