Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 08:00 AM

2,309 posts, read 2,315,824 times

Advertisements

Ryan Homes - The Ridge At Hunton Park - Glen Allen, VA

This is where it is...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2010, 10:31 AM

2,697 posts, read 8,697,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whynot? View Post
There is an old hamlet named Glen Allen off Mountain Road. [Link: Glen Allen, VA - Google Maps ] And there is a swath of northern Henrico County that has recently come to be called Glen Allen.

The latter includes postal addresses from Virginia Center Commons/The Crossings golf course at I-95 just south of Sliding Hill Road almost all the way out to Innsbrook. Very confusing if you don't "know Richmond."

The latter "Glen Allen" has also become a convenient catch-all for almost anything west (and/or north) of Broad and Parham that's not called Innsbrook, Wyndham, or Short Pump.

Go figure.
This is a really excellent answer, whynot?.

Old 07-19-2010, 03:23 PM

631 posts, read 1,290,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinmma View Post
Looks like Glen Allen to me

Old 07-19-2010, 09:32 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,749,085 times
Quote:
...the West End or the Far West End? Just curious.
Ummm Glen Allen wasn't a choice.

It has a Glen Allen zip code but it is not truly part of Glen Allen. The entrance road into The Ridge crosses both counties, but the houses are in Henrico. See map.

Glen Allen, Virginia Zip Code Boundary Map (VA)

The zip code sits in two counties

Hanover County - Virginia Zip Code Boundary Map (VA)

Old 07-20-2010, 06:56 AM

See I thought The West End or Far West End were knick names for Glen Allen, lol! Seriously, I am clueless but will learn fast. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
Ummm Glen Allen wasn't a choice.

It has a Glen Allen zip code but it is not truly part of Glen Allen. The entrance road into The Ridge crosses both counties, but the houses are in Henrico. See map.

Glen Allen, Virginia Zip Code Boundary Map (VA)

The zip code sits in two counties

Hanover County - Virginia Zip Code Boundary Map (VA)

Old 07-20-2010, 07:53 AM

631 posts, read 1,290,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinmma View Post
See I thought The West End or Far West End were knick names for Glen Allen, lol! Seriously, I am clueless but will learn fast. Thanks!
haha yes it's confusing, let me try to clarify the difference between Near West, West, and Far West Ends:
the Near West End refers to areas around Malvern, UofR, Willow Lawn, Libbie (around Broad St and south of Broad st)

Far West End refers to Short Pump area, near Goochland (in my experience Short Pump typically refers to all the shops along Broad St near Short Pump Mall and Far West End refers to the surrounding neighborhoods, typically south of broad st)

The West End is a general term or refers to any area in between the FWE and NWE (where broad & i64 cross over)

Glen Allen is the area north/east of broad st & I64. However after looking at your map it appears you may be a little bit north of where people typically think of Glen Allen. Then again, that area is still growing tremendously and it is hard to keep up with since about 15-20 years ago all that was there was a wal-mart and a gas station

Last edited by RVA-Jsn20; 07-20-2010 at 08:16 AM..

Old 07-20-2010, 09:38 AM

Ten years ago there was no FWE. 23233 was the end of the West End and that was it. Fifteen years ago there was barely anything past Parham (west). When you passed Gaskins (west) it was the rural part. Its made up. Its sounds better to some to say that you are from the West End or FWE than to say you are from Richmond or Henrico. Its the same issue when you cross the river to the south and enter Chesterfield. Numerous homes have Richmond & Midlothian as their addressess but they are part of Chesterfield. And a less known fact is parts of Midlothian are in Powhatan.

Old 07-20-2010, 10:13 AM

Thanks! I am in real estate so I need to learn everything before we move at the end of the year

Old 07-20-2010, 12:28 PM

2,697 posts, read 8,697,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
Ten years ago there was no FWE. 23233 was the end of the West End and that was it. Fifteen years ago there was barely anything past Parham (west). When you passed Gaskins (west) it was the rural part. Its made up. Its sounds better to some to say that you are from the West End or FWE than to say you are from Richmond or Henrico. Its the same issue when you cross the river to the south and enter Chesterfield. Numerous homes have Richmond & Midlothian as their addressess but they are part of Chesterfield. And a less known fact is parts of Midlothian are in Powhatan.
Unless I'm misunderstanding you, I think your dates are a bit off since there are 18 year old homes in Wyndham (23059).

Old 07-20-2010, 03:37 PM

The West End was the Western border of Richmond. You dont get a county border in the middle of another county, Route 250 used to look like route 6 past Gaskins. Originally there was Wyndham, VA. In that hamlet there were spots of subdivisions in what was once the rural parts of the county. Calling it the FWE in reality means nothing. It was made up to make the area sound more pretigious. 23059 is sitting in two counties due to the amount of people that lived there when it was created.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond