Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 02:18 PM

343 posts, read 1,314,552 times

Advertisements

Looks like my family will be moving to Richmond from NYC. I've lived in NYC for 5 years and quite love this place. I'd never want to leave it here. But, since we have a good job offer in Richmond, we m ay consider it.
I wanted to know what could be the typical rates to rent for a 2 Bedroom apartment in the Richmond area. how is the weathere there? As cold/hot as NYC?
Also, are there any good public universities(UVA??) near the Richmond area or atleast accessible within an hour drive or rail.

Any help in this regard will be appreciated.
Thanks folks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2010, 03:21 PM

1,799 posts, read 6,320,674 times
Richmond is very different from NYC... plenty of former NYC residents that can probably offer their opinions.

UVA is about an hour away by car. Same goes for William & Mary. Also, depending on the program, VCU is a pretty good school too.

Old 07-29-2010, 03:29 PM

894 posts, read 2,317,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nehs View Post
Looks like my family will be moving to Richmond from NYC. I've lived in NYC for 5 years and quite love this place. I'd never want to leave it here. But, since we have a good job offer in Richmond, we m ay consider it.
I wanted to know what could be the typical rates to rent for a 2 Bedroom apartment in the Richmond area. how is the weathere there? As cold/hot as NYC?
Also, are there any good public universities(UVA??) near the Richmond area or atleast accessible within an hour drive or rail.

Any help in this regard will be appreciated.
Thanks folks.
I understand the desire to want to stay in NYC. I love that place too. I'm not sure about apt rates. They vary depending on the neighborhood. But you can bet they'd be significantly cheaper than NYC.

Weather is usually cool to mild in the winter, and hot and humid in the summer. On average, I'd say Richmond is 5-15 degrees warmer than NYC.

Richmond has two universities right in town. The biggest is VCU, the other is U of R. Richmond has no light rail/subway. Just bus. But is served by Amtrak.

Richmond can be a nice place if you give it a chance. If you are already homesick before moving, you're probably not going to like it. And Richmond is going to feel a lot slower. But come with an open mind, and remember, NY is only a few hours up i95. Good luck!

Old 07-29-2010, 04:35 PM

Thanks. These first reponses have helped me calm myself. I was going nuts with the relocation but we don't really have an option either. I am a mom to a toddler and was planning Grad School in NYC. Just as I send my application to the CUNY schools here in NYC, my Husband gets a good job offer with the bad news that it is in Richmond,VA. Looks like I"ll have to continue my application process in VA. Sigh!!! Thanks for the list of universities too.

Old 07-29-2010, 06:09 PM

54 posts, read 155,092 times
well if it makes u feel any better im from ny born and raised so i know exactly how u feel. coming with an open mind is cool if ur trying to force yourself to like a place but in reality u have to explore a town and see what its about b4 u go writing it off. when i first moved to richmond i thought it was too quiet, boring thats only becuz i was confided to my house. it was till one day my father bought me my first car (nothing fancy at all lol) and told me to just drive and see what i find. once i did that ive seen so many beautiful places in richmond, met too many friends along the way. i love the winter in richmond and how flurries of snow is a state of emergency lol. all in all, i think if u take the time out to get to know the history of richmond, explore everything it has to offer you'll love it lol

Old 08-01-2010, 12:49 PM

19,252 posts, read 17,124,258 times
Virginia is not so bad... I can't price rentals but in the Richmond area you have University of Richmond, VCU and Randolf Macon in Ashland (20-30) minutes. Charlottsville and William and Mary are about 60 - 90 minutes depending where you live. You'll find the pace much slower but you can live, if you need an urban fix DC is @90 minutes depending the time of day and how you drive. Both UVA & Va Tech have Grad Centers in the Richmond area and depending on your program that might be an option. Housing costs will be much lower to where you may find buying is an option if you want.

Old 08-02-2010, 07:27 PM

7 posts, read 18,953 times
I grew up in NY, then moved to Houston for a few years and now I'm in Richmond.

The one thing that I can say is ALOT better than NY is that there is NO TRAFFIC. Some people that have lived in Richmond their whole lives may disagree, but having lived in NY, the traffic here is nothing compared to NY.

People are quite nice and will say hello when walking by. It is alot slower, but as people have said, if you come into it with an open mind, it'll make for a better transition.

Good luck.

Old 08-03-2010, 10:26 PM

56 posts, read 335,348 times
a fair amount warmer - minimal snow in the winter. VCU. U of Richmond. prestigious UVA and William & Mary within 2 hrs.

Old 08-07-2010, 11:25 AM

13 posts, read 21,607 times
I've never seen the tempeture drop below -7. thats as cold as it will ever get. I hear New York is way colder. it has been 105 here this summer. thats as hot as it will ever get.

I have met 2 people from NYC who came to Richmond. One said Richmond was a small town and the other said Richmond is a great city and has everything NYC has only on a smaller scale.

but a lot of people dont ride in cabs. cabs are mostly utilized by travelers staying in area hotels, and those too drunk to drive home from partying at bars and nightclubs. we dont have a subway. and we dont have huge skyscapers. there are really big buildings and a very urban possibly New Yorky feel to what is known as the Financial District.

Old 08-09-2010, 04:07 PM

Thanks for the replies guys
I am relieved to know that there are good grad schools and that the weather is not as bad as NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
View detailed profiles of: